PDA

View Full Version : Half round Shinto?

Jim Kountz
03-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Anyone know if there is such a thing? Im really starting to dig my Shinto rasp for the cabriole legs Im working on. Would be nice to have a half round one. I guess a #49 Nicholson would be good too though. I gotta get me one of those things I suppose.

Brian Kent
03-17-2009, 12:07 AM
I really love my #49. Now I want a #50 to go with it.

Here's the best price I have ever seen on these:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2778&BASE

about $33 and $39

David Gendron
03-17-2009, 1:03 AM
I have a 49 and I just got a rasp from gramercy tools from tools for working wood and... My 49 don't touch wood realy often anymore!
David

mike holden
03-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Jim,
contact Joel at tools for working wood and tell him what you want the rasp for, he will set you up.

The Nicholson 49 and 50 are the old standards and work well, but for the money, there are better rasps out there.

Oh, BTW, rasps dont seem to wear out very easily, my 49 and 50 are over 30 years old and still cut beautifully - and they *CAN* be resharpened. So consider them lifetime investments.

Mike

Chuck Hamman
03-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Jim,
I'm with you, I love my Shinto rasp and not only for cabriole legs. Unfortunately, I have never found a half-round version. I use a #49 or a 4-In-Hand (I've been using them forever).

-Chuck

Brian Kent
03-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Mike - "…for the money there are better out there."

What do you recommend in the same general cost range?

David Song
03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
I have a 49 and I just got a rasp from gramercy tools from tools for working wood and... My 49 don't touch wood realy often anymore!
David

Hi,

Which Gramercy did you get?

Thanks!

Bill Houghton
03-17-2009, 1:39 PM
I use...or a 4-In-Hand (I've been using them forever).

Glad to know I'm not the only one who appreciates these. I've picked up several at garage sales, still sharp; I've kind of refined the pile, so I'm now down to the best two, and they're quite useful.

I also find the older Nicholson cabinet rasps, which show up around here in 8" length and shiny clean condition about every year or so at a garage sale, are far better than newer cabinet rasps.

Brian Ward
03-17-2009, 3:48 PM
Oh, how I wish there were a half-round version of the saw rasp. Those things are great for fast material removal. A while back, I found their web page (http://www.d3.dion.ne.jp/~shinto/subto.htm (http://www.d3.dion.ne.jp/%7Eshinto/subto.htm)), and I didn't see anything like that.

Mike Henderson
03-17-2009, 5:54 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one who appreciates these. I've picked up several at garage sales, still sharp; I've kind of refined the pile, so I'm now down to the best two, and they're quite useful.

I also find the older Nicholson cabinet rasps, which show up around here in 8" length and shiny clean condition about every year or so at a garage sale, are far better than newer cabinet rasps.
I'm not a big fan of the 4-in-hand. The work area is too short and you're gripping the cutting part on the "top side" - there's no way to put a handle on a 4-in-hand. I'd much prefer to have different rasps for the different "cutting grits".

I still have a 4-in-hand but it never gets any usage now that I have a more varied set of rasps.

Mike