PDA

View Full Version : walnut cabinet /fish tank stand

Terry Achey
03-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Weeks ago I posted a message on the general woodworking forum about some walnut I purchased at a local sawmill that appeared to be a bit brittle. Perhaps kiln dried too quickly at higher temps?

Anyway... although the wood was mostly quarter sawn and a bit "knarly", it worked out fine. I used two wide boards that were near book matched for the doors. I'm guessing these were from a large crotch section of the tree. Although really beautiful figure, these pieces were as hard as marble to work with.

The cabinet is for a small aquarium for my grandsons. Approx. 28" high; 32" wide top and 16" deep. The finish is sanded to 400 and then one coat of Bulleye Sealcoat and three coats of Minwax wipe-on poly - gloss. I was going to put the final coat as satin, but the gloss looked good on this dark wood so I didn't do the satin finish.

This is only my second real cabinetry piece, so I made plenty of mistakes and hopefully I learned a few more "not-to-do" things. I think I need to now go turn something round for a while again :D.

Comments / critiques welcome.

Terry

John Olson
03-16-2009, 11:28 PM
I hope you are going to have Gold fish sit on that cabinet. That is wonderful would look good under my TV.

Jarrod McGehee
03-17-2009, 12:48 AM
It looks really nice Terry and for your 2nd try you did terrific. The color and figure of the walnut is amazing and you worked it very well. The details you put on there are pretty sweet. Nice work.

John Keeton
03-17-2009, 8:04 AM
My gosh, Terry, that is some beautiful crotch figure in those panels!! I think you did a great job on this project, and I certainly don't see any mistakes. I just hope the aquarium doesn't detract from your work - put ugly fish in it!

Joe Cunningham
03-17-2009, 8:26 AM
Wow, all that work on those door panels paid off I'd say. Beautiful figure. Really nice cabinet all the way around.

GERALD HARGROVE
03-17-2009, 8:30 AM
I do not think anyone is going to be looking at the fish. Looks Great.

Kate Taylor
03-17-2009, 9:10 AM
Looks great. I like the detail on the base, adds that little extra.

Brian Effinger
03-17-2009, 9:36 AM
That is a really nice cabinet, Terry. I am really drawn to those panels though. They look like some sort of painting of a palm tree or something. Outstanding. :)

John Thompson
03-18-2009, 12:54 AM
If indeed their is mistakes Terry... seriously doubt they would be noticed as it is very hard to take your eyes off those gorgeous door panels. I stared for several minutes and went back for another look.

Well done...

Sarge..

Jim Becker
03-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Really beautiful, especially those panels. Nice!

Mark Ball
03-19-2009, 9:37 AM
I don't care how much work those panels were, definitely worth the effort. Beautiful job.

Rick Lucrezi
03-20-2009, 9:40 PM
Very well done, and dito on the panels. Very pretty wood and I like the shine to the finish. I too have a fish tank that would be very proud to sit on that cabinet.:D

Terry Achey
03-20-2009, 9:54 PM
Thanks, folks for all the kind words. The door panels definately draw the eye. I hope to again come across some nicely figured walnut like this for $2.50 bf.

Delivery day tomorrow :).

Terry

Roger Gilmore
03-24-2009, 1:22 AM
That piece is stunning! Great job.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-24-2009, 6:54 AM
Terry...your fishes will be swimmin' in style!

I noticed that gloss wipe-on poly seems to shift towards a satin sheen over time. My experience was mostly with Formbys', which I believe was sold to Minwax.

Anyhow, nice work!

-Jeff :)

Jerome Hanby
03-24-2009, 10:29 AM
What a good idea. Great looking project!

Jim Kountz
03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks, folks for all the kind words. The door panels definately draw the eye. I hope to again come across some nicely figured walnut like this for $2.50 bf.

Delivery day tomorrow :).

Terry

Thats one nice fish stand!! Stunning grain in those doors and the overall fit and finish is outstanding, I think you owe yourself a large pat on the back for this one!!

And by the way you suck for the $2.50 /ft gloat for walnut that looks like that!! Great score!!