PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use SBC Yahoo DSL??

Joe Tonich
07-19-2004, 7:35 PM
I'm thinking of switching to SBC DSL so the phone is free when I'm on the internet. Anyone have it, & if so, is it worth it?

Thanks,

Joe

Jim Becker
07-19-2004, 8:47 PM
I don't have SBC, but I do have Verizon DSL and couldn't be happier. I previously used Cable Modem...which was "theoretically" faster, but the DSL gives me better and more consistant throughput. IMHO, DSL or Cable Modem is definitely worth it if you spend more than just a few minutes on the Internet each day.

Nick Klaus
07-19-2004, 8:50 PM
Joe, I don't have DSL, but I do connect via a Cable Modem with Charter Service. The speed is awesome, and I don't know how I ever got along with dialup service. I know a few folks that use DSL thru SBC, and they have had good service with them. The difference, besides the upside of having the phone line free, is the speed...............there is nothing like it, especially when loading graphic intense web pages. I say go for it............I think you will be well pleased.

Jim DeLaney
07-19-2004, 9:02 PM
Yep. I've had it for about two years, and like it. I've paid for the premium service, because I used to upload some very large files to clients, but the standard service is plenty fast.

I consistently get 1.2 MHz, and it takes maybe six seconds per Mb for a download.

Only problem with DSL is that speed deteriorates as you get further from the exchange/server. I'm practically next door to mine, so it's very quick. Be aware that, if you do need to call tech support, it's routed thru India, though. Can be frustrating if you do have a problem...

Joe Tonich
07-19-2004, 9:14 PM
Thanks guys,

I was wondering because it's about $15 less a month than Earthlink's or anyone else's I've seen and figured it wasn't as good, but wanted to ask someone about it first. Sounds like it's a good deal for $27 a month. Only $5 more than Earthlinks and SWMBO won't have a problem with that, :D especially when it free's up the phone line and she doesn't have to use my cell phone.

Thanks again,

Joe

Jamie Buxton
07-19-2004, 9:16 PM
I've been on it for about four months. It is a huge and welcome change from 56K! Whether it is worth the extra bucks depends on how tight you pinch your pennies.

Installation was straightforward -- despite some of the stories which were around 3-4 years ago when SBC first went into DSL in a big way. They seem to have cleaned up their act, here at least.

I've had one occasion to use the tech support, and was pleasantly surprised. The gal at the other end of the wire -- wherever she was -- understood my problem and hung on with me for a half hour to debug and fix it. (It was very nice to be able to simultaneously talk on the phone while futzing around on the web!)

(... On the downside, I kinda think I shouldn't have had to use tech support at all. The first time, I was trying to change my password on their email server, and somehow disabled the connection from my computer to the DSL modem...)

Jamie Buxton
07-19-2004, 9:19 PM
One more thought...

I'm accustomed to leaving the computer on, but putting it into sleep mode when I walk away. My DSL modem insisted on waking up the computer every minute or so, and it won't go back to sleep without me. I finally figured out how to tell the computer to ignore the modem when it was asleep, but it took lots of digging around on the Microsoft site. If you want to know how, give a shout.

Joe Tonich
07-19-2004, 9:28 PM
One more thought...

I'm accustomed to leaving the computer on, but putting it into sleep mode when I walk away. My DSL modem insisted on waking up the computer every minute or so, and it won't go back to sleep without me. I finally figured out how to tell the computer to ignore the modem when it was asleep, but it took lots of digging around on the Microsoft site. If you want to know how, give a shout.
Jamie,

Thanks for reminding me, I seem to remember that on a cable set-up you needed something to keep people out of your computer while you were off of it because it was always connected to the internet. :confused: :confused: :confused: Do I need it with DSL and if so, what do I need to do? I have NORTON, is that enough?

Thanks,

Joe

Jim Becker
07-19-2004, 10:36 PM
A hardware firewall solves this problem...which is related to how some DSL ISPs force a DHCP (network address) refresh "very frequently" as well as some other things. Using the firewall means the firewall is what is interacting with those processes rather than your computer(s). These devices add security and accessability for more than one computer, too...including wireless if you want that. The LinkSys unit I am using includes wireless as well as wired network connectivity and cost well under a hundred bucks.

Jim Becker
07-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks for reminding me, I seem to remember that on a cable set-up you needed something to keep people out of your computer while you were off of it because it was always connected to the internet. :confused: :confused: :confused: Do I need it with DSL and if so, what do I need to do? I have NORTON, is that enough?
At a minimum, you need your Norton (always kept current) and a software firewall, such as ZoneAlarm (free from ZoneAlarm.com). It's also a good idea to regularly use a program such as the free Ad Aware program to help protect your privacy.

Additionally, I'd recommend you consider a hardward firewall like I wrote about in my comments to Jamie. This added layer of protection helps to keep your computer(s) secure.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Joe, I'm with Jim you need some kind of firewall and antivirus. I've been using Zonealarm for about 3 years and have had Norton forever. It seems to work well!

Jamie Buxton
07-19-2004, 11:03 PM
If you're running Windows XP, it contains a software firewall. I use it. I do have to admit I'm not expert enough to understand exactly what protections a separate hardware firewall would offer. So far no demons seem to have taken over my machine. Me, I just have one computer, so SBC's modem is cabled directly to it.

As to needing a hardware firewall to solve the sleep issue I mentioned, no, I did it by adjusting XP. The challenge was to wade through stacks of unreadable documentation to find the correct check-box to check.

Cecil Arnold
07-19-2004, 11:22 PM
I have SBC dsl and like the speed, found it easy to install and tech support has been accptable. Be aware that the teaser rate goes up at the end of whatever contract period you have. Mine is about $45/month, plus you pay for your phone line in addition to the dsl access. Fortunately mine has been tax deductable up to now.

David Klink
07-19-2004, 11:51 PM
I don't have SBC DSL, but my sister-in-law does and she loves it. We've had Comcast broadband for around 4 years now, and we'd be lost without it.:)

What Jim said about a firewall is true. I've used ZoneAlarm since we've had it, and can't say I've ever had a problem. I have a tendency to leave mine on, but when I'm not using it I just use the "internet lock".

There have of course, been times when I forgot I had the lock on. Generally it takes me 5 minutes of going, "Why the heck(Okay, not heck.) isn't this thing connecting??" before I remember. Then I sit and feel like a twit for a minute or so while my wife smirks at me, and get on with my life.:D

Ken Garlock
07-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Additionally, I'd recommend you consider a hardward firewall like I wrote about in my comments to Jamie. This added layer of protection helps to keep your computer(s) secure.

Jim, I have been running a FREE firewall called GnatBox Lite for three years. It runs on an old Pentium Pro (200 Mhz), and I have NEVER had a break-in. The best part is that it is based upon FreeBSD, and fits on a single 1.44 MB floppy! Just feed the output from the DSL modem into it, and the output from the firewall into your ethernet switch. It is a "stateful" fireewall, if a packet is not a response to something you sent out, it will not get back into your system.

Take a look at Gnatbox Lite (http://www.gta.com/products/gblight/)

Jim Becker
07-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Gnatbox is an excellent solution for someone that has an extra PC lying around and having a stateful firewall is important with many of today's applications. That said, many folks will be more comfortable with something like the various LinkSys offerings, especially since many of the high speed ISPs will also provide technical support on them and they can also provide things like wireless access all in one box. This is the nice thing about network technology...there are many ways to accomplish something. The bad thing is sometimes determining "which way" is the best for you!

Dan Mages
07-20-2004, 12:44 PM
I also have SBC Yahoo. The speed is wonderful!!I also like the two gigs of email and an additional 750 megs of online storage. They do send you a CD loaded with bloatware and spyware, so try not to run the CD, except for registering the system.

Dan

Curt Harms
07-20-2004, 2:01 PM
I don't have SBC DSL but I do have Verizon DSL. When I first installed it, I didn't want to spring for a router ($150 at the time) so I used Verizon's CD to hook up one machine. What a pain in the nether regions! Spent about an hour on the phone with Verizon and finally got it to work. WOW! Guess it works :D In a few days I got to the SillyCon Emporium (CompUSA) and picked up a Linksys router. I uninstalled the Verizon stuff, hooked the DSL modem to the router, powered everything up in the correct sequence and was in business. Much simpler than installing the provided software and sharing files and internet access between multiple computers is a breeze. As Jim alluded to, DSL providers can help with common routers, I doubt they'd be helpful with "nonstandard" hardware and software solutions.

Another resource isDSL reports (http://www.dslreports.com) . You may want to take some of the stuff on that site with a grain of salt, but it does contain some useful info. Given certain SMC members insistence on pictures (You know who you are!!!! :D ) broadband certainly enhances the SMC experience.

Curt

Chad Young
07-20-2004, 2:24 PM
Finally a subject that I know a lot about (I am a network admin)on here as I am still pretty new to wood working.

I had SBC DSL and had great luck but just recently decided to switch to Cable modem so I could cancel my home phone. My wife and I never used it so why pay for it. If you do go with them I have an DSL modem you can have (just pay shipping or buy me a hat:) ) if they try to charge your for it. Watch out because some times they want to rent it to you for only a few dollars but this adds over the years. I would also suggest that you choose some type of external fire wall. I use the Linksys cable/DSL router. Very easy to set up and this will keep you from having to run the software that they send out and make your machine very safe. The Linksys or DLink (another good brand) routers only run about $50 or $60 I think.

Steve Clardy
07-20-2004, 3:46 PM
I would probably have it if it were available out here in the sticks. One dial-up is all there is out here in the toulies.
Steve

Joe Tonich
07-21-2004, 8:53 PM
Thanks for all the info. :D I'm gonna order it tonight. Earthlink is driving me crazy with the Creek! The only way I can get to this thread is by going to my mail and clicking the link. :(

Thanks again,

Joe

Perry Schmidt
07-22-2004, 10:50 PM
I've had Southwest Bell DSL for a LONG time...long before it was SBC Yahoo DSL. (Shortly after SWBell offered DSL I was able to get it...) It has been - from day one - very reliable. VERY rarely has it been down. And I don't think it's ever been down more than 24 hours. The only complaint was their 'services' sucked. THEN a few years ago they converted to Yahoo for services. Have been very pleased w/ the switch. Services now are very nice, and the DSL has been rock solid. The only problem I've had w/ them was when converting from their service to Yahoo...had a problem w/ the email...wasn't their fault they'd send me to Yahoo...well Yahoo said it wasn't THEIR fault and send me back to SWBell...was on the phone for 4 hours bouncing back and forth before got someone who actually understood the problem. But that's a situation you should never have to deal with.

Overall it's been a good reliable setup, and the yahoo services are very nice, well done services. Unless you need a lot of extra space for a web site or sharing a large number of pics, you probably won't need the premium services. The services that are offerred w/ the SWBell package are plenty for everything I've needed. Ample storage space, nice online access and 'home base' for connecting to Yahoo, a messanger service and plenty of email boxes - 10 I believe. And that's the nice part about Yahoo...IF you need the premium serivces they are there!

Overall I'd recommend it. Both have been pretty good, relatively problem free over the years.

Perry

Pete Lamberty
07-23-2004, 7:43 AM
I have had it for three years now and it has worked just great. I don't know anything about the technical stuff so I can't comment on that. I can only say that I use it for work, seven hours a day, everyday and it always works great. Also I cannot compare it to cable because I have never had cable.

Jack Wood
07-23-2004, 9:04 AM
Get Norton Internet security 2004 and you will cover your Antivirus needs and firewall all in one package that will integrate perfectly with your system for outstanding protection and support.

Mike Evertsen
07-23-2004, 11:32 AM
can't get dsl here I went on direcway the price is high but worth the improvment over dialup. the speed when opening up messages with pictures. I won't go back to dialup. I heard dsl is even faster than direcway.

Perry Schmidt
07-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Pete - although I haven't had cable modem, my brother in law in the area does. And basically it's been a very similar story to SBC DSL with one big difference 'in the ending'. The connection - like DSL - has been very reliable and good for him w/ few complaints or down-time. The services - on the other hand - have been more iffy. They've switched 'hosts' 3 times in the last 3 years (which means changing their email - a REAL pain.) And if everything is working, you're OK. If you need help, the 'help' has been on the not-so-good side. SBC DSL had 'services' problems too, before they teamed up w/ Yahoo. Pre-Yahoo the SBC services were very limited, and service was OK. It was better than the cable company, but still on the 'not so good' side. But since teaming up w/ Yahoo, they've been very good! It was definitely a smart move!

Of course your services will vary depending on your broadband cable provider. The one in particular was...don't remember the first one. ATT and now Comcast were two of the three variants it's gone through. Yahoo services is one of the better ones out there, so they're going to be hard to beat. Google is starting email+ services too...I'm sure they'll be a top notch services, given that they're targeting Yahoo w/ them as the people to beat. Google and yahoo are gearing up for some good head to head competition! Good for us - the customers :) I'm quite sure that's one of the reasons Yahoo recently raised the amount of free storage. I think Google is starting at 2G free storage for email/web sites. It will be interesting to see what broadband teams up w/ Google - I'm sure many will.

Perry