PDA

View Full Version : another laquer question

Paul Rains
03-16-2009, 10:19 PM
sprayed on laquer sanding sealer to sanded bowl at 320, now what should I do to bowl before laquer? sand with what? how strong?

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Paul if I sand with 320 I generally don't do anymore but spray on some deft. Generally I spray 6 or 7 light coats at about 30 minutes apart.

Richard Madison
03-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Paul,
If the surface feels rough you could sand VERY lightly with 320 or 0000 steel wool with the grain. Clean thoroughly and spray lacquer coats as Bernie said.

David Christopher
03-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Paul, good info above..just make sure the wood has stoped soaking the sealer before putting top coat on....if you are going to buff make sure you put enough on because buffing will remove a small amount

robert baccus
03-16-2009, 11:12 PM
i suggest using 3 times as much ss as laq. ss is not only a sealer but should be used as a filler. it will fill grain and any reasonable sanding marks. i apply it--first coat brushed on unthinned--maybe 2 coats. sand with 180 to smooth and spray a coat over that to cover any sand-through. get your surface right while in nice soft ss. now apply 4-6 coats of laq, wet sand lightly and buff with auto buffing liquid. piece of cake!--------------------old forester

Montgomery Scott
03-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I usually sand to at least 400 and when dealing with woods that have a lot of chatoyance I'll usually go to 1500. Even very light scratches will easily be seen in woods like desert ironwood, Australian or African blackwood.

Paul Rains
03-17-2009, 7:16 PM
Good stuff... I think I will hand sand with 400 on sponge pad, and spray one more time lightly with SS, then light sanding with steel wool and spray mulitple coats of laquer, I am doing a natural edge red elm, man keeping bark on that wood is tough.
Let me know if you have better idea? I will let you know or see how it comes out.

David Walser
03-17-2009, 8:06 PM
...I am doing a natural edge red elm, man keeping bark on that wood is tough.
Let me know if you have better idea?...Paul, before you apply anymore sanding sealer, consider running some thin CA glue along the edge of the sapwood and bark. It should help keep the bark in place and the glue should not discolor the wood (since it's been sealed) and it should not be noticeable under the final finish.

Good luck!