PDA

View Full Version : Great grandfather's barn wood...

Don Carter
03-16-2009, 9:42 PM
A friend of mine asked me to make a shaving brush for his son who is graduating high school this year. I offered to make a brush handle from any "special wood" he might have. He brought me some wood from his grandfather's old barn and this is what I made for his son. He said this was over one hundred years old. It appears to be redwood but I am not sure. That would be very unusual for this area and time. I made the bottle stopper for his wife from bloodwood.
What do you guys think?

All the best.

Don

Alan Trout
03-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Very nice Don. I like them both.

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I think that is just pretty cool. Both are great pieces. Well done.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2009, 10:48 PM
2 well done pieces! Nicley done Don!

David Christopher
03-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Don, those are beautiful...I think the barn wood is virgin pine

alex carey
03-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Don't know what it is but it looks nice.

Chuck Jones
03-17-2009, 12:02 AM
I agree they are both beautiful pieces and great wood. I don't know the type of wood. Old barns in the south were made from whatever was at hand. "Red Gum" was sometimes used back then. Red gum is the heartwood of a very old and large sweet gum... as I understand it. That's a possibility.

Nice ice cream parlor chair in the background. Is that an original or a reproduction? I have two that were part of an old set in the house I grew up in. I didn't grow up recently.

Steve Schlumpf
03-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Both turnings look great Don! Really like the idea of turning something that includes some family history! That makes an item just that much more special! Nice work!

Don Carter
03-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments.
Chuck:
Great eyes! I have four original chairs that came from my grandfather's old store and ice cream parlor. My wife loves antiques and these things fit right in. The bottoms of the wire feet have worn flat over the years. Thanks for mentioning them.

All the best.

Don