PDA

View Full Version : where to buy a pattern bit?

keith ouellette
03-16-2009, 8:12 PM
I can't find a 1/2" diameter ,1" cutting height pattern bit with a 1/2" shank. The ones I keep finding all have 1/4" shanks.

Eagle does have one but they want $7 just for shipping.

any suggestions.

Wes Grass
03-16-2009, 8:25 PM
This for the router plate? With the bearing at the top?

How you gonna get a 1/2" bearing over a 1/2" shank? ;-)

Peter Quinn
03-16-2009, 9:07 PM
As Wes has pointed out you are not going to find a 1/2" pattern bit (bottom bearing) in a 1/2" shank as the od of the bearing would be the same size as the shank. Dats no werkie!

You must rethink your method or get a 1/4" collet.

Michael Pyron
03-16-2009, 9:12 PM
I recently routed out ~50 parts for a long bench seating item for a restaurant...each piece was about 8 LF of routing...I used a 1/4" shank 1/2" bit as you describe....the bit didn't break (if that is your worry) and was a tad dull at the end (which to me means the bit is quite strong with that 1/4" shank)

Jules Dominguez
03-16-2009, 10:12 PM
I bought a 3/4" diameter by 1 1/2" cutter length Woodline pattern bit with a 1/2" shank at the recent WW show in Atlanta. I don't remember what it cost but it was less than $20.
I expect all of the router bit mfrs make a 1/2" flush trim bit with a 1/2" shank, if you can use that in lieu of a pattern bit.

keith ouellette
03-16-2009, 10:34 PM
This for the router plate? With the bearing at the top?

How you gonna get a 1/2" bearing over a 1/2" shank? ;-)

As Wes has pointed out you are not going to find a 1/2" pattern bit (bottom bearing) in a 1/2" shank as the od of the bearing would be the same size as the shank. Dats no werkie!

You must rethink your method or get a 1/4" collet.

I recently routed out ~50 parts for a long bench seating item for a restaurant...each piece was about 8 LF of routing...I used a 1/4" shank 1/2" bit as you describe....the bit didn't break (if that is your worry) and was a tad dull at the end (which to me means the bit is quite strong with that 1/4" shank)

I thought the part of the shank that would have the bearing would have been narrowed to except the bearing. I see no reason why that couldn't be done but I see now that it hasn't been done. The one i looked up earlier from eagle was actually a flush trim bit.

I had no worry that the 1/4" shank would break or even flex for that matter its just that I have a 1/2" collet and when I looked up the price of a 1/4" collet for my hitachi mv12 it was over $30.

Guess I'm just out of luck.

Dave Falkenstein
03-16-2009, 11:31 PM
...its just that I have a 1/2" collet and when I looked up the price of a 1/4" collet for my hitachi mv12 it was over $30.

Guess I'm just out of luck.

If you don't want to spend the money for a 1/4" collet that you might not use much, perhaps it would be better to buy a trim router, with a 1/4" collet. A trim router is great to have in your tool collection. It would be more money, but then you would have a second, small router.

Paul Demetropoulos
03-17-2009, 12:49 AM
1083652]As Wes has pointed out you are not going to find a 1/2" pattern bit (bottom bearing) in a 1/2"[/b] shank as the od of the bearing would be the same size as the shank. Dats no werkie!

Actually that does werkie and you can certainly get that bit, but it's not a pattern bit, it's a flush trim bit with bottom bearing. I think we're mixing up terminology a little.

Bits referred to as pattern bits have the guide above the cutter(sometimes you'll see a bit called a pattern bit with guides above and below the cutter) but I don't think you'll find a 1/2 inch shank/ 1/2 cutter pattern bit. The 1/2" pattern bit you will find in your 1" length usually has a 3/4' diameter, and why not use that?

Also, why do you object to the $7 shipping, doesn't sound out of line to me.

Larry Edgerton
03-17-2009, 6:50 AM
Keith.

I use Whiteside, and they have all sizes in stock a Ballew Saw and Tool. If you are not cutting small radius circles, invest in a large diameter bearing over Whiteside, you will not be sorry. I have them up to an 1 1/2" inches, and I always try to use 1/2 in shank when at all possible. You willl not believe the quality of cut you will get with these large Whitesides over what small diameter pattern bits will give. these bits will cut an amazing amount of material before they become too dull.

For small ones I slip a bearing on a 1/4" straight bit with a collar because I don't need them much. Its not often that I trim a less than 1" radius.

John Keeton
03-17-2009, 7:55 AM
Larry, I notice that many creekers recommend Holbren for Whiteside bits - 10% discount with the SMC10 code. Not sure how that compares to your source.

keith ouellette
03-17-2009, 8:52 AM
If you don't want to spend the money for a 1/4" collet that you might not use much, perhaps it would be better to buy a trim router, with a 1/4" collet. A trim router is great to have in your tool collection. It would be more money, but then you would have a second, small router.

I was thinking of buying one the other day. HF had one on sale for under $30. It's not the type of tool I would normally buy from them but I figured I wouldn't be using it that much.

Prashun Patel
03-17-2009, 9:24 AM
I was thinking of buying one the other day. HF had one on sale for under $30. It's not the type of tool I would normally buy from them but I figured I wouldn't be using it that much.

I recommend the trim router from Grizzly if you don't want to break the bank.

However, for pattern work, I don't know that a trim router is the best choice unless you put a wider base plate on it. Also, the trim routers don't plunge, so adjusting for depth isn't as easy as the better full size plunge bases.

I say just use the 1/4" shank bit in yr regular router. I've had decent luck with bits from MLCSWoodworking, where the shipping is free. You'll notice the diff between good & bad bits on end grain when the bit starts to dull, but if you don't use it that often, it'll serve fine.

Joe Scharle
03-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Look at this for some more info.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/graphics2/TM42-43routerplate.pdf

Also, look at collet adapters 1/4", 8mm. I use them a lot.

Scott Wigginton
03-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Don't downsize, UPSIZE

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/images/thebit1.jpg

$130 from William Ng (http://www.wnwoodworks.com/contact.php), contact him to order one.

Pic from The Wood Whisperer's 6 Days of Aurora - Day 3 (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/6-days-to-aurora-day-3/).

Eric DeSilva
03-17-2009, 12:27 PM
That thing scares me a little bit.

keith ouellette
03-17-2009, 1:08 PM
Don't downsize, UPSIZE

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/images/thebit1.jpg

$130 from William Ng (http://www.wnwoodworks.com/contact.php), contact him to order one.

Pic from The Wood Whisperer's 6 Days of Aurora - Day 3 (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/6-days-to-aurora-day-3/).

thats one hell of a nice looking bit. i don't even have a DC right now so a $130 for one bit is out of the question. Though I just may make a color copy of you picture and hang it the wall.

Brian Gumpper
03-17-2009, 1:27 PM
Keith,

What are you trying to do with the pattern bit? I don't know why a flush trim bit wouldn't get you past your current project.

If you don't need the smaller radius, consider the larger Whiteside pattern bits with 1-1/8" cutting diameter. You get a lot more meat on the bearing than with a 3/4" diameter bit. The bearings on the 3/4" bits with 1/2" shank are more delicate although I've never heard of one going bad.

Chip Lindley
03-17-2009, 9:41 PM
Here is yet another idea for a pattern bit, from Elite. http://www.elitetools.ca/Commander.aspx?c=2 (http://www.elitetools.ca/Commander.aspx?c=2)#
This one is 3/4" diameter with bearings on top AND bottom!! It is a straight cutter bit, but well worth a try for a guy starting out on a budget!! It's only $16.99 plus $10 shipping from Canada!

Peter Quinn
03-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Actually that does werkie and you can certainly get that bit, but it's not a pattern bit, it's a flush trim bit with bottom bearing. I think we're mixing up terminology a little.

Bits referred to as pattern bits have the guide above the cutter(sometimes you'll see a bit called a pattern bit with guides above and below the cutter) but I don't think you'll find a 1/2 inch shank/ 1/2 cutter pattern bit. The 1/2" pattern bit you will find in your 1" length usually has a 3/4' diameter, and why not use that?

Also, why do you object to the $7 shipping, doesn't sound out of line to me.

Sorry Paul, but as I understand it, take a bit, chuck it in a router table, look at the bearing location. If its UP, its a top bearing or flush trim bit. If its DOWN, its a bottom bearing or Patern makers bit. The tip, or part that would hit the wood first if being plunged, is the TOP of the bit. If there is a bearing at the tip, its a TOP bearing bit. If there is a bearing at the opposite end of the cutter, it is a bottom bearing bit. Fortunately many bit makers also use this teminolgy, top versus bottom, so it keeps me from getting confused. I think we may both agree that there is no meaningful way to get a 1/2" OD bearing on a pattern makers bit with a 1/2" shank. You would basically still have a 1/4" shank bit at the weakest point, and what would the point of that be?

Charles McCracken
03-18-2009, 9:42 AM
Sorry Paul, but as I understand it, take a bit, chuck it in a router table, look at the bearing location. If its UP, its a top bearing or flush trim bit. If its DOWN, its a bottom bearing or Patern makers bit. The tip, or part that would hit the wood first if being plunged, is the TOP of the bit. If there is a bearing at the tip, its a TOP bearing bit. If there is a bearing at the opposite end of the cutter, it is a bottom bearing bit. Fortunately many bit makers also use this teminolgy, top versus bottom, so it keeps me from getting confused. I think we may both agree that there is no meaningful way to get a 1/2" OD bearing on a pattern makers bit with a 1/2" shank. You would basically still have a 1/4" shank bit at the weakest point, and what would the point of that be?

The standard terminology is:

Top Bearing - bearing between cutter and router
Bottom Bearing - Bearing on the end of the bit away from router

Lee Schierer
03-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Take a look at Router bit world. They carry a large range of bits by various manufacturers. Their prices are good and their delivery is excellent.

chris dub
03-18-2009, 1:13 PM
Here is yet another idea for a pattern bit, from Elite. http://www.elitetools.ca/Commander.aspx?c=2 (http://www.elitetools.ca/Commander.aspx?c=2)#
This one is 3/4" diameter with bearings on top AND bottom!! It is a straight cutter bit, but well worth a try for a guy starting out on a budget!! It's only $16.99 plus $10 shipping from Canada!

For the same $26 you can get the Whiteside version shipped from Holbren using.
If ordering 1 bit, MLCS, Holbren and Amazon are usually the best bets because of lower shipping cost.