PDA

View Full Version : Delta 50-720 Dust Collector

Travis Gunn
03-16-2009, 8:06 PM
Hi. First time poster. I asked this on the "Workshop" forum but then figured this would be the place to ask.
Any opinions on the deal Rockler has. Delta 50-720 DC for $299 / free shipping / $100 gift card.
Can't afford a better unit yet. Have a 10" Table Saw, 12" bench planer, miter saw, router, drill press, 6" jointer.......will this unit meet my needs? Will it significantly out-perform my shop vac?
I just do a little hobby work.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Travis

Paul Wunder
03-16-2009, 9:59 PM
Travis,

The one horse Delta 50-720 claims 650 cfm. Most people will say that on small collectors you should at least halve the stated output for a realistic performance measurement. That would yield an output of about 325 cfm. A 10" table saw requires at least 350 to 400 cfm to clear only the lower half of a cabinet saw. A bench planer and a jointer will require more capacity. My suggestion would be to consider a Delta 50-760 (one and one half horse). Yes, it is more money, but it is a highly rated collector by Fine Woodworking and other Creekers with a stated output of 1200 cfm, for about $100 more.

Brian Kent
03-16-2009, 10:18 PM
My suggestion would be to consider a Delta 50-760 (one and one half horse). Yes, it is more money, but it is a highly rated collector by Fine Woodworking and other Creekers with a stated output of 1200 cfm, for about $100 more.

I agree. Amazon has it for $375 with free shipping.

Chris Tsutsui
03-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Don't forget you have to save some money for hoses, gets, adapters, etc...

Sometimes Harbor Freight has their 2HP DC for $180.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97869

1550 CFM (though perhaps equivalent to the 1000 CFM deltas and jets)

The people that have them seem to like them.

I'm either going to go for a used Jet or Delta 1000CFM+ DC that comes with hoses and stuff, or wait for the HF one to go on sale.

For now it's my shop vac. :D

Steve Cofer
03-17-2009, 7:45 AM
Travis,
First time poster here as well. I just purchased this DC a couple weeks ago at my local Lowe's. The deal at Rockler seems like a good one. I am planning to hook it up to the Dust Right system from Rockler to use with my benchtop planer, table saw, miter saw, and router table (and jointer when I get one).

So far, I have briefly tried it out on my Dewalt DW735 planer with good results. I plan to use the Dust Right system to move the hose from tool-to-tool as needed. Seems like a pretty slick system. I can't really justify a central DC system at this point, as I am still playing with my shop setup and don't mind moving the hose between machines.

Pat Germain
03-17-2009, 8:23 AM
I think Paul is spot-on. I have the Delta 50-760. I have a long flex hose I move between machines. The 50-760 works very well for me, but I wouldn't recommend anything smaller. The cost difference is minor for a better DC.

Mike Gager
03-17-2009, 8:30 AM
my shop vac clears my table saw i dont see why a real dust collector couldnt do it!

Pat Germain
03-17-2009, 8:42 AM
my shop vac clears my table saw i dont see why a real dust collector couldnt do it!

Good point. However, there's a lot of dust the shop vac is missing. Unfortunately, you often can't really see the difference between what a shop vac is doing and what a DC is doing because you can't see all the dust.

Even with a DC, it's a good idea to run a shop dust filter mounted from the ceiling. It's that tiny, airborne stuff that will get into your lungs and in all the nooks and crannies of your shop. So, in this case, I think it's worth ponying up for the 50-760.