PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Cabinet door panels

Bob Johnson2
03-16-2009, 7:44 PM
For anyone who makes hard wood raised panel doors or something of that ilk, how wide can you go with the strips that make up the panel? I've got roughly 10" 4/4 cherry and would like to keep the glue ups as simple as possible. Doors panels are as wide as 13.75".

Thanks
Bob

Peter Quinn
03-16-2009, 9:11 PM
As wide as possible assuming the wood is well seasoned and acclimated to your shop, and you leave the proper gap between the panel tongue and the bottom of the groove. A single board would be great, a two board or resawn book match is nice too.

The commercial operations make strip panels more because it is cheap than because it is necessary for stability.

Stan Urbas
03-17-2009, 12:13 AM
I like to do them about the same width as my rails & styles. That way I can choose the best for color and grain matching in the panels and use what's left for R&S.

Rod Sheridan
03-17-2009, 8:48 AM
I agree with Peter, if I can use a single piece panel, I do.

If not, I may go book matched or simply use two similar pieces.

I don't like the look of a bunch of strips of different width and grain, so I'll try for the smallest number of same sized pieces.

Regards, Rod.

Gene Howe
03-17-2009, 9:16 AM
Agree with previous posters, i.e. as wide as I can get.
My panels are 3/4 thick and the back cut produces a small profile. I like that look on the inside of the doors. So when I start with 4/4 rough stock it's impossible to get book matched pieces. But, man alive, that would be awesome.

Steve Clardy
03-17-2009, 12:05 PM
As wide as possible.

Chip Lindley
03-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Wide boards must be WELL seasoned for use in raised panels. The wider, the more caution should be exercised! Flat-sawn boards (with arguably the most attractive grain) will expand across their width the most! The look of wide boards can be Awsome! Doable for a project with just a few doors, but cost prohibitive and wasteful if many doors must be made up.

Often times book-matching two boards makes a very pleasing panel! Random narrow boards glued up for panels can give the *Eeww butcher block* effect. But matching for grain flow can produce some pleasing results when LOTS of doors must be constructed for a complete kitchen, office, etc.

Bob Johnson2
03-17-2009, 7:00 PM
Thanks all, sounds like I'll skip plane it a bit so I can get a look at the wood. Supposedly the mill gave me some matched sets so maybe I'll get lucky for the wider doors. I'll also look up the shrinkage/expansion percentage for cherry, I know I have a table in a book somewhere. I'm figuring I've only got 3/16" play on either side of the panel after I figure the space balls.