PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PM2000 with Rout-R-Lift?

David Dalzell
03-16-2009, 5:32 PM
:confused:I will soon be buying a tablesaw. The PM2000 model 1792002K with 30" fence is currently my top choice. The Amazon price is $2600 with free shipping. However they also list a PM2000 model 1792003K, which is the same thing but includes a Rout-R-Lift, for $2100+$300 ship = $2400 total. This seems like a pretty good deal particularly because I also use a router and this could save room in my garage shop. However I can't seem to get much info on the actual Rout-R-Lift itself, nor on the overall width of the saw with this Lift. Just what does the Rout-R-Lift consist of? Can anyone speak to the quality/utility of the Rout-R-Lift vs a standard router table? How wide is the table with this attachment? Powermatic website also says this model includes legs with the Lift, but their photo doesn't show any legs. Help please. Can anyone enlighten me?

Russ Boyd
03-16-2009, 6:01 PM
I have a pm2000. Don't have the router though. I do remember seeing them a lot and most of the sights had measurements. Wish I could remember where for you. Just google pm2000 and see if yours is at one of the sights. I HIGHLY recommend the wider rip capacity. I have the 52" and use the heck out of it. Russ

Robert Parrish
03-16-2009, 6:02 PM
The casters are built into the base and you use the bevel adjustment wheel to raise and lower them. When you receive your saw try running a full 3/4 inch dado to see if it doesn't bog down and stop. I had a lot of trouble with mine and had to have the switch replaced twice before they could get it to work. The last switch installed was a PM66 switch that I requested. Anyway good luck!

Peter Quinn
03-16-2009, 9:30 PM
I have a PM66 with a Rout-r-lift, it is made by Jessum, the rails on my saw are 70"? Don't know that that is standard equipment for all saws with the router lift option?

Anyway the rout-r-lift is a fine product, you can get more info on it from the jessum site, same lift they sell as far as I can tell. Mine says "Made for powermatic by Jessum" on it. I like it, works well and very convenient where it lives. My saw was actually cheaper through Amazon with the router lift, wide rails and mobility kit than a smaller saw, no lift, no mobile base would have been at that time. Go figure. I'll never understand Amazon's pricing schemes.

Not sure how the new PM2000 mobile base affects a saw with wide rails and support legs?

Fred Floyd
03-17-2009, 2:50 AM
I actually have two ROUT-R-LIFTs. One in the table of the PM66. The other in a router table based on Norm's Deluxe Router Table. In both cases, the unit is the same, but the one in the PM66 is a different color. They apparently do special OEM units when bundled.

Functionally they are the same. This is an older model but when I'm doing cabinets or anything with multiple router setups, it is really nice to have two places to work. These units both work well.

I got the second one from Rockler on a closeout for $150, which was about $50 off the regular price.

Tom Hintz
03-17-2009, 2:57 AM
I currently have the Rout-R-Lift in my PM2000 and it does work very well. It comes with a fence that can be removed when not in use which really comes in handy so it doesn't mess with the fence. It is pretty standard in terms of router lifts, coming with a starting pin, crank handle and a few insert rings.

Tom Veatch
03-17-2009, 4:24 AM
...Just what does the Rout-R-Lift consist of? Can anyone speak to the quality/utility of the Rout-R-Lift vs a standard router table? How wide is the table with this attachment? Powermatic website also says this model includes legs with the Lift, but their photo doesn't show any legs. Help please. Can anyone enlighten me?

The Jessem "Rout-R-Lift" has been on the market for about 10 yrs now and some may consider it getting a bit "long-in-the-tooth", but it's been a real workhorse for me. I got mine with a Jet XActa 10" Left Tilt Cabinet Saw in a bundle deal identical to the one you mention. You can look here (http://www.jessem.com/rout_r_lift.htm) for the specs on the unit. There have been other lifts introduced since this one made its debut which may have more bells and whistles, but it's a good, functional lift that has never failed to do anything I've asked of it. I particularly like the "above the table" bit changes that it allows with the router cranked up to it's maximum height and the table insert removed.

As far as a comparison with a "standard router table", the "Rout-R-Lift" is just the lift, you have to supply the table in which to mount it. In the bundled kit, the right hand extension wing of the table saw becomes the router table. I moved mine out of the TS extension table into an on-purpose router table/cabinet because the router fence, although removable, offered too much interference on wide rip cuts.

Speaking strictly to the saw/lift/router bundle I received, the lift added nothing to the width of the saw. It is installed in the extension table that already exists between the front and rear rails on the right side of the saw. The legs are the ones at the right hand end of that extension table which support the table and the fence rails. You'd need those even if there is no router lift mounted in the table.

It's a good lift and currently sells for about $200 as a standalone purchase. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it. You'd have to fight to get mine away from me.