PDA

View Full Version : Does your Bandsaw have adjustments for the guideposts travel path?

Andrew Joiner
03-16-2009, 4:14 PM
Some professional-duty bandsaws have adjustments for the posts travel path.
Light-duty machines, such as 14-in. bandsaws, usually have no such provisions. To adjust them, you'll need to be creative and use shims or ?

This can be safety issue as you may be tempted to leave the post up all the time with guides set and more blades exposed as discussed here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107381

What saw do you have and does the guidepost stay aligned for the full travel path?

If not factory adjustable what did you do to keep it aligned?

Do you just adjust your guides every time you change post height and accept the mis-aligned post?

phil harold
03-16-2009, 5:02 PM
I used to have problems with my 14" delta
about a month ago i did a full tune up on the saw and found the top wheel was out of plane with the bottom wheel removed the wheel and installed brass shim stock/washer to align them

Now I dont have to adjust the wheels any more

there is a article on how to tune a bandsaw
by John White

and another by Robert Vaughn

Loren Hedahl
03-16-2009, 5:41 PM
I have a 12 inch Craftsman, the older aluminum framed model with the plastic removable side cover. Not only was its guidepost was significantly out of alignment but it would change as the blade was tensioned.

My first attempt at correction was to buy a nice new Delta 14 with a heavy cast iron frame and find a semi-final resting place for the Craftsman in a shed out in the back 40. It was there for more than several years getting well seasoned with rust, cob webs, dust and general decrepitude.

Finally I felt sorry for it and spent a rainy day working it over. I decided I would only use it with 1/4 inch blades; so with a file and some shims corrected the guidepost alignment for the tension of that size blade. I also cleaned it up, touched up all the other alignments as well as the paint added a shelf around the base of the saw as well as at the bottom of the stand and installed a nice set of 4 inch casters. Now it is my favorite go-to band saw. Considering the number of times I've used the Delta in the last three years, it really doesn't earn its share of the real estate in my garage shop.

Wilbur Pan
03-16-2009, 7:51 PM
Some professional-duty bandsaws have adjustments for the posts travel path.
Light-duty machines, such as 14-in. bandsaws, usually have no such provisions. To adjust them, you'll need to be creative and use shims or ?

This can be safety issue as you may be tempted to leave the post up all the time with guides set and more blades exposed as discussed here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107381

What saw do you have and does the guidepost stay aligned for the full travel path?

If not factory adjustable what did you do to keep it aligned?

Do you just adjust your guides every time you change post height and accept the mis-aligned post?

I'm assuming you're talking about being able to adjust the guide post travel so that you don't have to readjust your guides as you move the upper guides up and down. My bandsaw doesn't have this adjustment. But then again, the only adjustment I have to make as I move the upper guides up and down is to the thrust bearing that the back of the blade pushes up against during cutting, which takes me all of 15 seconds if I'm being slow, so I don't worry too much about it.

Tom Esh
03-16-2009, 8:27 PM
Mine is adjustable (Griz 0457) and tracks parallel all the way. I rarely make a cut with more blade exposed than neccessary.

Dave Lehnert
03-16-2009, 9:09 PM
I own a Shopsmith bandsaw and the guide post is fully adjustable. Never knew other bandsaws were not.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/BandsawCover.jpg

Pete Bradley
03-16-2009, 9:56 PM
Fully adjustable -- Old iron Delta 28-350 20".

Pete

Chris Friesen
03-17-2009, 12:55 AM
As in the title, my SC 18" is pretty darn close but not absolutely perfect. It's good enough that I haven't bothered messing with it, and I'm pretty picky.

Myk Rian
03-17-2009, 10:08 AM
The Delta 28-299 14" I just got needs no adjustment. It is true the entire height of travel.

Andrew Joiner
03-17-2009, 1:07 PM
Myk, Do you have a riser on it?

Myk Rian
03-17-2009, 3:13 PM
Myk, Do you have a riser on it?
No, but I'm looking for a decently priced kit.

glenn bradley
03-17-2009, 5:16 PM
My Griz G0513X has adjustments but was dead on when I got it.

Paul Atkins
03-17-2009, 7:42 PM
No adjustment or any needed on my 20" Powermatic .

John Thompson
03-18-2009, 1:32 AM
Steel City 18"... yes as it's micro-adjustable but was on from the factory.

Smaller Jet.. no.. but I only use it for curve cutting so not a biggie.

Sarge..