PDA

View Full Version : new handle on chisel

Carlos Cabrera
03-16-2009, 3:57 PM
Here is a new handle I put on my oval bolstered mortice chisel. I realize that I shaped the handle differently than it normally is done but I like the feel and look and well it's my chisel :-)

I drilled a hole first in the mesquite blank and then i morticed the hole square so it would fit the tang tightly. I then epoxied it so the handle wont fall off. I am going to finish it with Birichwood Casey Tru-Oil and I will post pictures later.

Carlos

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss120/neorisc/102_4139.jpg
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss120/neorisc/102_4137.jpg

John Keeton
03-16-2009, 4:26 PM
Actually, it looks like it would be very comfortable to use! And, good looking I might add;)

Bill Houghton
03-16-2009, 4:35 PM
I've got a couple of Scandinavian paring chisels with a similar shape, I believe from the factory, and either here or on Wood Central, this has been discussed before. People who have adopted this shape report an increased sense of how the chisel is oriented, because the shape gives better clues.

Pretty handle. Have fun chopping.

Mike Henderson
03-16-2009, 7:53 PM
I think the shape you made is pretty traditional. Here's a few mortise chisels that I have - the dark handles are original and the lighter ones I made. I made the new ones based on the original handles I had.

Mike

Frank Drew
03-18-2009, 9:29 AM
I like your handles,Mike, particularly the one second from the right; fat handles, within reason, are easier to grip, IMO.

Zach Dillinger
03-18-2009, 9:41 AM
Those of you that have made their own OBMC handles, how did you do the shaping? Rough it out on the bandsaw and smooth up with a spokeshave? Some other way?

I'm looking at doing this very soon and was just curious as to how you guys did it so successfully.

Zach

Mike Henderson
03-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Those of you that have made their own OBMC handles, how did you do the shaping? Rough it out on the bandsaw and smooth up with a spokeshave? Some other way?

I'm looking at doing this very soon and was just curious as to how you guys did it so successfully.

Zach
I roughed mine out on the bandsaw then went to the stationary disk sander. Finished sanding by hand. Shape was all by eye.

Mike

george wilson
03-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Yes,Carlos,the handle is quite traditional.

Zach Dillinger
03-18-2009, 1:18 PM
I roughed mine out on the bandsaw then went to the stationary disk sander. Finished sanding by hand. Shape was all by eye.

Mike

Makes sense. Thanks Mike. By the way, I'm going to attempt the simple shell carving, based on the tutorial you posted on SMC a while back. So, thanks for that too!

Zach

Carlos Cabrera
03-18-2009, 6:25 PM
I roughed out a rectangular blank first, then I drilled a hole the full length of the tang and then used some bench chisels to square up the mortice until the tang fit all the way in. I used my #4 bench plane and rasp to rough in the final shape, I then sanded it. It really is easier than it seems. I am working on my other chisel now and will post pics soon.