View Full Version : Spalted Birch on a Stick

Keith Burns
03-16-2009, 3:18 PM
Measures 2-3/8" x 9-3/4" tall. Pedestal and Finial are Ebony. This is from the spalted birch I won at our club raffle. Thanks for looking. Comments/critiques are welcome.

steven carter
03-16-2009, 3:23 PM
Keith,

This is a great looking pedestal box. The proportions on the pedestan and finial are spot on. I know this is not a utilitarian piece, but for some reason I can see taking the lid off and seing a great hot fudge sundae.:rolleyes:

Steve

curtis rosche
03-16-2009, 3:42 PM
i second the sundae idea. i think the spaulting colors make it look like a glass smeared with peanut butter ice cream and fudge

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2009, 3:44 PM
Keith - absolutely love it! Beautiful woods, great proportions and a very nice finish! Really like the continuing theme - the shape of the hollow form repeated in the pedestal as well as within the finial! That's really cool! I do like this variation to your flat top series as well as this slight modification to your signature finial. Beautiful work - as always! Thanks for the incentive to keep trying new things!!

alex carey
03-16-2009, 3:50 PM
Yeah that is definitely nice. Well done.

David Walser
03-16-2009, 3:52 PM
Kieth,

That is an elegant, graceful, wonderful box. As with the others, it reminds me of a Sunday glass. For that reason, I'd like to see how the form would look with a slightly domed lid. The flat topped lid is wonderful, but I think a dome shape might more strongly evoke the feeling of an ice cream Sunday with a cherry on top.

Great work!

Kirk Miller
03-16-2009, 5:37 PM
Keith, Very nice work. I have some spalted birch that I have been thinking of doing something similar with. You set the bar so high I will have to reconsider.........lol

Bob Hallowell
03-16-2009, 9:07 PM
thats Great Keith, love the name and as always love your finail

Bob

Richard Madison
03-16-2009, 9:25 PM
Very cool piece Keith. Ditto almost everything Steve said, except that the narrow area of the pedestal bothers me. It seems to distract the eye from the overall flow of the work.

Don Carter
03-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Keith:
Your killing me, my friend.;) Seriously, you work is very inspirational to me. Thanks for showing your work here.

All the best.

Don

Pete Jordan
03-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Keith,

I never get tired of looking at greatness!

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Keith that is a beautiful piece. Finial and pedestal are spot on.

Brian Effinger
03-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Just... Wow!

David Christopher
03-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Keith, thats a beautiful form but with all this talk of ice cream Im off to get a snack

Jim Kountz
03-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Absolutely beautiful, great job!!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Keith..your form and proportions are dead on! Great wood and finish. Nicely done Sir!

Dewey Torres
03-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Keith, one question if I may. How do you conserve your ebony for these finials. Please tell me you are not turning solid blocks wide enough for the width of the base down to that.:confused:

Keith Burns
03-18-2009, 8:11 AM
Keith, one question if I may. How do you conserve your ebony for these finials. Please tell me you are not turning solid blocks wide enough for the width of the base down to that.:confused:

Dewey, I use pen blanks mostly and then a piece of 3/4" for the base. Turn a 1/8" tennon on the pedestal, drill a 1/8" hole in the base and add some super glue.

Dick Strauss
03-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Keith,
At first I thought it looked spectacular. Then I noticed the pedestal neck looked a little strange like it curved or stepped smaller just below the body. This curve or step didn't seem to go with the form:confused:. As I zoomed in, I realized it was a digital defect, not a real defect (it looks blurry due to digital files not handling slight diagonals well). Now I understand the pedestal neck shape is almost a mirror image of the finial neck. I also noticed your signature "exclamation point" finial.

Very nicely done sir!!!!:D:cool:

Richard Madison
03-18-2009, 12:31 PM
AHA! (Thanks Dick) It's a digital defect, not a narrow neck. Sorry about that. Retract my earlier comment.