PDA

View Full Version : Old plane cleaning

Zach Dillinger
03-16-2009, 2:49 PM
Mods, please feel free to move or delete this, but I've stumbled on a formula (with a beginning from the Creek) that cleans and protects old wood tools better than anything else I've ever used. It contains BLO, turp, wax, and a couple of special ingredients. I'm seriously contemplating bottling some of it and offering it for sale at M-WTCA meets and elsewhere. I'm trying to get a price point established. What would you pay for a pre-mixed wood cleaner / protectant that leaves a beautiful patina on wood but removes all the grease and grunge? It would be a pre-mixed liquid, lotion like consistency, 4 or 8 oz squeeze bottle. A little goes a really long way, so I'm leaning towards a 4 oz bottle. I was thinking $8, given the cost of materials, but what do you think?

Also, I'm planning on donating $1 from every sale to the Creek.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Zach

Zach Dillinger
03-16-2009, 5:00 PM
Guys,

Sorry if this was out of line. I am just trying to figure out if this is worth pursuing or not.

Zach

Jim Koepke
03-16-2009, 5:02 PM
My thoughts are I would likely not buy any at that price.
Many times when a tool handle needs attention, what ever is in the shop at the moment is what is used. This has included all kinds of oils and waxes. The results are pretty much the same. It leaves the wood feeling good and clean and with a protective coating. Have lately been using an oil and wax mixture that is sold in a 16 Oz bottle for under $8. It works fine and I will likely buy more in the future.

jim

Zach Dillinger
03-16-2009, 5:12 PM
My thoughts are I would likely not buy any at that price.
Many times when a tool handle needs attention, what ever is in the shop at the moment is what is used. This has included all kinds of oils and waxes. The results are pretty much the same. It leaves the wood feeling good and clean and with a protective coating. Have lately been using an oil and wax mixture that is sold in a 16 Oz bottle for under $8. It works fine and I will likely buy more in the future.

jim

Thanks for your honesty, Jim. Like I said, I was just kicking an idea around and needed some real-world opinions.

Zach

Sam Hatfield
03-16-2009, 8:28 PM
I believe that there is allready a product on the market like this "Kramers".

Sam

Zach Dillinger
03-17-2009, 9:13 AM
Sam,

I was not aware of that. I will check into it.

Thanks,

Zach