PDA

View Full Version : Quilted Walnut Crotch Bowl

steven carter
03-16-2009, 2:03 PM
This is another walnut crotch bowl from the crotch piece at my country club. This is a picture of the bowl and what is left of the double crotch piece that I have been whittlin' away on. The ground finally thawed enough so I could get it standing up so I can cut some more. The bowl ended up at 12" x 5" and has a lot of quilting that the camera doesn't pick up very well. I tried something different for me on the rim to try to make it look like a bowl within a bowl. It is finished in home brew oil, beall buffed and renaissance wax. Picture taken Saturday morning while playing golf at 34 degrees, but it did warm up as the round progressed. Thanks for looking, critiques and comments always appreciated.

Steve

Keith Burns
03-16-2009, 2:26 PM
Thats a great bowl Steven. I like what you did with the rim. That a nice Chain Saw cart............sorry, Golf Club cart.

David Walser
03-16-2009, 2:35 PM
Steve,

That's a beautiful piece of walnut and I like what you did with it. I'd like to see it up close so I could see how the wood plays with the light (you wouldn't mind sending it my way, would you?). Very well done.

David Christopher
03-16-2009, 2:50 PM
Steve, that is a beautiful bowl..I like what you did with rim

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2009, 3:12 PM
Great looking bowl Steve! Beautiful wood and finish! Can sure see the potential in the walnut you are standing by! Hope you are able to get the rest of it cut and safely back home! Nice work!

Toney Robertson
03-16-2009, 6:31 PM
You gotta love that walnut.

Beautiful wood, nice form and well executed.

Toney

Jeff Nicol
03-16-2009, 6:42 PM
Steve, That bag of turning tools is the wierdest I have ever seen!! HA HA!!!! It is nice to see spring is here and I have been enjoying the warm weather too! I had to give up chasing the little white ball and whacking it all over the place, with my torn rotator cuffs I can't get a full swing and the ball goes everywhere but where it should! So I gave my clubs to my 18yr old nephew and he and his father go out and keep my golfing spirit alive!

Great job on the bowl and hope to see more from that big hunk that is left!

Jeff

Nathan Hawkes
03-16-2009, 6:44 PM
Beautiful wood, form & finish. I like the rim detail; I haven't seen anything quite like that before. I may have to copy that sometime;). Nice job!

Jarrod McGehee
03-16-2009, 7:07 PM
Great bowl Steven and walnut is my favorite. I play golf but I sure wouldn't play in 34 degrees. that's too cold for me :eek: but very nice bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-17-2009, 12:38 AM
It looks like everyone and his brother took all the easy wood from that Walnut Steven, and left you just the pretty figured wood, and you did a great job on it, good looking bowl and interesting rim, well done :-))

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2009, 8:30 AM
Great looking bowl out of some beautiful walnut. Well done. I dusted off the old golf clubs this Sunday at 76 degrees. Felt pretty good to get out.

Robert McGowen
03-17-2009, 3:26 PM
I have to say that the bottom of the bowl is very professional looking and doesn't give a clue as to how it was held and turned. Top notch job!

Bill Bolen
03-17-2009, 4:04 PM
pretty bowl and an interesting rim. So that's why y'all go on the golf course...Looking for wood. I never would have thought of that...Bill...

John Fricke
03-17-2009, 4:32 PM
I have no problems finding wood on the golf course. My balls typically hit every tree on the course.