PDA

View Full Version : Paint on old squares?

Joe O'Leary
03-16-2009, 1:53 PM
I am in the process of rehabbing some old Starrett machinists squares to use in WW'ng. Some have the black jappanning painted over or it is scraped off. Will a gloss enamel work to repair this or should I delve into learning how to do the japanning ( which does not look simple)?:confused:

Joe

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2009, 2:44 PM
No... not simple. This is the best "read" on the subject I know of. Very detailed but well written and easy to follow:

http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/pRMorin/html/japanning.html

Your only other really good option is gloss enamel which might be OK. Even if you didn't totally like it, it might get you by while you hone up on your Japanning skills!

Jeff Willard
03-17-2009, 8:25 AM
Just curious-were these tools manufactured this way? Or was the black finish something that was added after the fact? It seems to me that, in the latter case the accuracy of a square would be compromised. And then there is the case of the finish being scraped :eek: off.

Joe O'Leary
03-17-2009, 8:45 AM
Of course there is no finish on the measuring surfaces, but most Starrett and imitators have black on the decorative surfaces, often over a pebbled texture.

Jeff Willard
03-17-2009, 9:20 AM
I understand now. You are referring to a combination or a double square (with the sliding rule) as opposed to a fixed square, with no graduations.:o