PDA

View Full Version : G0514x2 problem......

Chris Allen
03-16-2009, 12:50 PM
This is my first bandsaw. I'm not sure if this problem is normal, but it doesn't seem like it should be.

With the blade guard all the way up, I adjusted the roller bearings according to the manual. But when I lower the blade guard, the left bearing gradually get's closer to the blade. By the time the guard is 2/3rd of the way down, the left bearing is touching the blade. By the time the guard is all the way down, it's actually pushing on the blade slightly.

I'm assuming this shouldn't be happening?

I already have another problem with the saw, which to me, warrants a replacement. I'm in the process of dealing with Grizzly about it. A portion of the machine's base is actually bent up close to a 1/3". Enough so the machine doesn't sit flat on the floor, and has to be shimmed so it won't wobble. Could this have knocked the whole thing out of alignment? Not sure if one problem has anything to do with the other.

Should I bring this problem up with Grizzly? I just don't know how much run-out(probably not the correct term) the guard/guide assembly should have.

Thanks.

Rod Sheridan
03-16-2009, 1:05 PM
Hi Chris, yes the bearings should maintain their alignment throughout the travel of the support post.

I'd check the manual for adjustment procedures and if no luck, contact Grizzly.

According to many on the forum, they have great customer service so I assume that they'll repair or replace the saw.

Regards, Rod.

Andrew Joiner
03-16-2009, 3:59 PM
Chris,
Some professional-duty bandsaws have adjustments for the posts travel path.

Light-duty machines, such as
14-in. bandsaws, usually have no such
provisions. To adjust them, you'll need to
be creative and use shims or file down
certain components to shift the upper
wheel alignment.

I hope yours is adjustable.

Chris Allen
03-16-2009, 4:54 PM
Thanks guys. I'll check the manual when I get home, and see if I have that adjustment.

glenn bradley
03-16-2009, 5:07 PM
I believe you are looking for the Guide Block Assembly adjustment. My G0513X has it and I am all but sure your saw will too. Keep us posted. Four nuts around the gearbox maybe?

Chris Allen
03-16-2009, 5:31 PM
Glenn,
Thanks for the reply. Keep in mind I'm new at this....

I'm using the guide block assembly adjustment, and have it set correctly. But when I lower the the guide post, it tracks out of line. In other words, the guide block is adjusted correctly when fully raised, but when lowered, it isn't. The post isn't tracking perfectly in-line.

Maybe I'm not looking for the right adjustment?

Chris Allen
03-16-2009, 5:32 PM
Chris,
Some professional-duty bandsaws have adjustments for the posts travel path.

Light-duty machines, such as
14-in. bandsaws, usually have no such

provisions. To adjust them, you'll need to
be creative and use shims or file down
certain components to shift the upper
wheel alignment.

I hope yours is adjustable.

Andrew,
I just downloaded the manual and read through it. I don't see anything that refers to post-travel-path adjustment.

David Dalzell
03-16-2009, 7:11 PM
This is my first bandsaw. I'm not sure if this problem is normal, but it doesn't seem like it should be.

I'm assuming this shouldn't be happening?

Thanks.

I just recieved my first bandsaw, a G0514x bandsaw, but have not yet turned it on. The electrician rewires my garage/shop this Wednesday for both 120 and 240 volts. I also am "assuming" and hoping that "this shouldn't be happening". However I am going down to my garage to check this out!
Good luck with your problem.

David Dalzell
03-16-2009, 7:51 PM
I Just checked my new G0514x and seem to have the same non-vertical issue when raising/lowering the guide post. On page27-29 of the owners manual a method to adjust the guide block assembly for perpendicular with the face of the support bearing is described. Is this the cure? I don't know. I haven't yet tried this with mine but I will do so on Wednesday when I return from a trip. If it fixes the problem then good, if not then I believe I can live with adjusting the guide bearings when I change the resaw depth more than some number of inches. A pain in the a*& but livable.

Chris Allen
03-16-2009, 8:39 PM
I talked to Griz tech support a while ago. Apparently there is no adjustment for the guide post travel.

Andrew Joiner
03-17-2009, 11:40 AM
I talked to Griz tech support a while ago. Apparently there is no adjustment for the guide post travel.

I have a thread on this here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107446

It looks like at least one Grizzly has this adjustment. I think it's G0457.

Shiraz Balolia
03-17-2009, 12:05 PM

Chris - sorry about the misinformation. There is an adjustment. If you look at Fig 39 in the manual, you will see 4 screws around the Guide Post Knob. These are the screws that need to be loosened and the post aligned correctly. Once that is done you can move the blade guides to match. I am having one of my engineers call you and walk you through this. Once again, our apologies for the lack of information. We will let the techs know about this and add this information to future manual reprints.

Chris Allen
03-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Shiraz,
That's great to hear! I get home from work about 5:30pm CT. If your engineer could call at that time, or later, it would be much appreciated.

I have an activity open, because the base of the machine has a significant bend and it won't sit flat on the floor. I emailed the requested pictures to tech support today. I'm assuming the machine will be replaced, but I would still like to have your engineer help me with the alignment so I can adjust it in the future, if needed.

Thanks, it's much appreciated.

Chris

Andrew Joiner
03-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Chris - sorry about the misinformation. There is an adjustment. If you look at Fig 39 in the manual, you will see 4 screws around the Guide Post Knob. These are the screws that need to be loosened and the post aligned correctly. Once that is done you can move the blade guides to match. I am having one of my engineers call you and walk you through this. Once again, our apologies for the lack of information. We will let the techs know about this and add this information to future manual reprints.

Thanks Shiraz for clearing this up.
It looks like all your steel frame wood bandsaws have this adjustment, right?

Would the G0555 and G0555X be adjustable with a riser block?

Chris Allen
03-17-2009, 9:20 PM
Shiraz,
Almost immediately after your post, I got a call from your engineer. Quite helpful indeed. He sent me a very detailed email along with pictures of how to make the adjustment. When I got home, it took me all of 5 minutes. Very simple adjustment. I just needed a little guidance(no pun intended ;)). Thanks again.

David(or anyone else),
I would be happy to forward you the engineers email with directions. PM me your email address if you'd like me to send it to you.