PDA

View Full Version : Door Installation Headache

Rick Hubbard
03-16-2009, 7:36 AM
I’m about to launch into a project I REALLY don’t want to do (but orders have come from on-high).

I need to install some doors in the bottom openings of what was originally an open shelf area of a book-case. The cases will need to remain in-place (meaning I will be working crouched down on the floor). Each of the three openings is roughly 30 inches wide. The face frame width around the openings is only 1 1/2 inches and are flush with the inside of the panels, so I guess that means I will need to install inset doors. I need to use two doors per opening.

Here is my question- what would be the best choice of hinges for this set up? I foresee all kinds of headaches here relating to hinge alignment and holding the bloody door in place while I attach the hinges. Should I mount the hinges on the cabinet first then attach the doors or should I attach the hinges to the door then mount them to the cabinet?

Thanks for the advice.

Rick

Jason Roehl
03-16-2009, 7:57 AM
I'd attach the hinges to the doors first personally. Either way, once you have the hinges accurately attached to one or the other, then you set the door in place and use shims (paper, card stock or wood shims) to make the reveal around the door consistent, and mark the hinge locations on the inside (that will certainly be the tricky part).

Another option would be to use a hinge that is 3-way adjustable, and install them as accurately as possible by measuring, then adjust with the hinges.

Bill Huber
03-16-2009, 8:12 AM
In looking at hinges I guess if I was going to do what you are I would use a Blum 120 degree hinge.

They are adjustable and I think that will help a lot when you are on the floor and mounting the door.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=5408&TabSelect=Details

Rick Hubbard
03-16-2009, 9:10 AM
In looking at hinges I guess if I was going to do what you are I would use a Blum 120 degree hinge.

They are adjustable and I think that will help a lot when you are on the floor and mounting the door.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=5408&TabSelect=Details

Thanks for the tip Bill. I’ve never worked with these types of hinges before, but it looks to me like I’m going to need a special Forstner bit too (I guess buying a new tool, eve a small one, is SOME consolation for being forced into this insane undertaking :D ).

Also, after looking at the Rockler link, it appears that I will not need to use inset doors. That’s a BIG relief. When I put this unit together it was in a really goofy location so, I gave my wife a choice of TWO of these three possibilities: square, plumb or level. In other words, I have a hunch that the openings are not perfectly square so installing inset doors would be a nightmare.

The there is the price- SHEESH. It looks like I’ll have $75 tied up in hinges for 6 doors. Maybe that’s why I’ve never used them BEFORE.

Rick Hubbard
03-16-2009, 9:56 AM
It strikes me that the price for Blum concealed hinges is pretty much at the top of the scale. I also see that there are several "altenatives" available. Has anyone had particularly good experience with one brand or another?

Thanks

Rick

phil harold
03-16-2009, 10:13 AM
It strikes me that the price for Blum concealed hinges is pretty much at the top of the scale. I also see that there are several "altenatives" available. Has anyone had particularly good experience with one brand or another?

Thanks

Rick
consider how much the doors are going to be opened and closed
a quality hinge will last longer and need less adjustment
I have installed many a kitchen and they do not use Blum or Hafele execpt on high end or comercial cabinets

here maybe a less expensive resource for you
http://www.ovisonline.com/Store/cabinet_hinge.asp

Rick Hubbard
03-16-2009, 10:23 AM
consider how much the doors are going to be opened and closed
a quality hinge will last longer and need less adjustment

here maybe a less expensive resource for you
http://www.ovisonline.com/Store/cabinet_hinge.asp

Thanks for the link.

In all hoinesty, I doubt these doors will be opened once a month (which begs the question, why do we need them in the first place).

I take it the ones you were talking about are the Hettich half-overlay. You have used these with a minimum of problems?

Speaking of alternative suppliers, I have purchased hinges and slides from Custom Service Hardware in the past, but their web site seems non functional this morning. Has anybody heard whether they went out of business or something?

Thanks.

Rick

phil harold
03-16-2009, 11:42 AM
rick

amerock, blum, ferrari, hafele, hettich, lama, and salice hinges all seem to work until somebody decides that they that the door can support thier wieght...

phil

John Callahan
03-16-2009, 4:43 PM
1 1/2" isn't much but it should be sufficient for overlay doors ........ which might make the job easier if the openings aren't square. Just thinkin' ............

Rich Engelhardt
03-16-2009, 5:53 PM
Hello,

I’ve never worked with these types of hinges before, but it looks to me like I’m going to need a special Forstner bit too
Home Depot sells a little plastic jig/35mm Forstner bit combination for under $20.00.
I highly recommend it.
The bit is of course HSS instead of carbide, but it's enough to get you through a couple of dozen hinges - provided you don't push it too hard or fast.
The little plastic jig makes laying out the pocket holes & screw locations a very simple task.
I did ~ 2 dozen doors using a paper template a couple of years ago prior to picking up the jig set.

Re: the hinges.
There's Blum and there's everyone else.
You might save 1/3 the price by going with something lesser, but you'll regret it in the long run - unless you like to tighten screws on hinges.

Gordon Peery
03-17-2009, 5:19 AM
I've installed hundreds of Blums - 'nuff said. An old fixed base (round) router with a 3/4" straight bit, is my dedicated Blum "hole digger". I fashioned a cup hole locator and routing guide from a 10" square, 1/4" thick phenolic..... with a 6 5/8" diameter hole in the center which allows the router to cut the 35mm diameter cup - instead of a Forstner bit. Whew! It Has worked very well for years!

The 3-way adjustment, self closing hinges (Blum, et.al.) sure make cabinet door work a breeze!

I hope your project goes well.

Gordon

Rob Cunningham
03-17-2009, 8:42 AM
I like Blum hinges. High quality,3 way adjustment and they are easy to install. Woodworkers Hardware has pretty reasonable prices. Don't forget to order the mounting plates too.