PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
03-18-2003, 12:51 AM
Just wanted to know if all of you wanted to keep the Weekend Accomplishments running or not. I'm not getting very many responses on the Creek and just wanted your feedback to see if I should continue it or not.

Paul Geer
03-18-2003, 6:57 AM
Dennis, First time I've heard about it. Where is it?

Keith Outten
03-18-2003, 7:16 AM
Dennis,

Give it some time, I'm sure it will be very popular as more people get used to the idea here.

Ken Wright
03-18-2003, 7:41 AM
there are a large number of folks here at the Creek who are a bit on the timid side when it comes to postings. Many times I've noticed large number of hits on a thread and a surprisingly low number of supplemental posts. A good example would be completed projects which always draw lots of hits but not so many posts.

No criticism intended ... just sharing an observation!

Dr. Zack Jennings
03-18-2003, 8:04 AM
......Completed Projects

...I think it's best to list completed projects in a post separate from Weekend Accomplishments. Replies build up quickly making it difficult to comment on anything.

....Weekend Accomplishments is an excellent place to post progress reports. My "Perpetual Storage Cabinet" is a good example. If I ever finish the thing. I will list it separately. It's also a good place to post visits to WW Shows and other Creekers. This saves a lot of new posts for, not frivilous, but less important issues.

....Weekend accomplishments and Weekend projects posts spur some of us loafers on to get out into the shop. It's a good opportunity for a lot of frequent posters (I'm one of them) to get their "fix".

John Miliunas
03-18-2003, 8:10 AM
Originally posted by Keith Outten
Dennis,

Give it some time, I'm sure it will be very popular as more people get used to the idea here.

I'll go with Keith on this one. Give it some time and as more folks get better acquainted with the site and fellow members, I think it'll pick up. Ken also has a good point about people being a bit timid. I think this too will pass as more people get used to their surroundings. One caveat, though; It looks like Ernie has let the role of the weekend town cryer die with the Pond. We need to find a substitute for the old familiar, "Have a rockin' good weekend" thing....Any suggestions?:cool:

Dennis Peacock
03-18-2003, 8:18 AM
For Paul Greer and others:

Weekend Accomplishments is normally posted around or just after midnight each Sunday night or sometime Monday. The purpose is to see just how many people actually got done what they posted in the Weekend Projects (previously posted on the Pond by Ernie Miller) and my posting was to "compliment" what Ernie posted AND to see if any of us got done...WHAT we planned to get done over the weekend.

It also allow us to post surprise gloats, visits with other WW friends, WW'ing show results or anything else for that matter. It was something that I "guaged" myself by to "push" me to get done what I had hoped to get done over the weekend.

I also post it on WoodCentral and have posted it on The WoodChip (www.thewoodchip.com)..I forgot to post is this time on The WoodChip....I may post it today.... :-)

Have a good day all....

Dennis Peacock
03-18-2003, 8:28 AM
I have sent email to Ernie asking him to please consider coming to the Creek and doing the Weekend Projects. I did notice and also posted while Bob Lasley was posting the "Weekend Doin's" to fill in where the "whole" is since Ernies not here to post the Weekend Projects........I sure miss Ernie...... :(

John Miliunas
03-18-2003, 8:48 AM
[........I sure miss Ernie...... :( [/B][/QUOTE]

Ditto. The "rockin' good weekend thing just isn't the same without him! :(

Von Bickley
03-18-2003, 10:02 AM
Dennis,

I think it's a good thing and I really think that SMC is on it's way to being the best WW site around. Keep up the good work.

Tom Sweeney
03-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Dennis,
keep up the good work!

I really enjoyed Ernie's Rockin Good Weekend posts also & miss having him around - but I still like your accomplishment posts.

Personally, I have not posted any because there has been a vast conspiracy to keep me from doing anything productive for the last few months & I'm getting sick & tired of it! :mad: hopefully with spring & warmer weather coming I'll actually be able to accomplish something worth talking about. :)

Bruce Page
03-18-2003, 11:55 AM
Dennis, I may be alone here, but I think a large part of the problem is not being able to reply to a specific post in the thread, and only being able to view the “Thread Starter” from the main index. I feel that these two deficiencies detract from the feeling of community in general.

I enjoy SMC, it’s membership, and many of the software’s features, I also appreciate the hard work that Keith, Aaron, and others are doing on a daily basis but, I still find the software impersonal in this regard.

Just my opinion.

Tom Sweeney
03-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Coming Soon to Monitor near you :D

I'm almost positive that this will be a feature of the new version of the software - coming out soon - also. Aaron's been working on a threaded version behind the scenes You can check it out by clicking on the "text only" link at the top of the page.

Originally posted by Bruce Page
Dennis, I may be alone here, but I think a large part of the problem is not being able to reply to a specific post in the thread, and only being able to view the “Thread Starter” from the main index. I feel that these two deficiencies detract from the feeling of community in general.

Paul Geer
03-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Thanks Dennis for the explanation, even though it's new to me, I'll give it thumbs up and look for it if it continues. I have done a lot of woodworking projects for Indiana University for the last ten years, what started out as a hobby ended up being a my job, so I'm still interested in seeing what other people are doing as a hobbiest woodworker.

Ted Shrader
03-18-2003, 1:22 PM
Gee, Dennis, kind of makes you feel guilty when you didn't get anything done.

Originally posted by Dennis Peacock
. . . . The purpose is to see just how many people actually got done what they posted in the Weekend Projects (previously posted on the Pond by Ernie Miller) and my posting was to "compliment" what Ernie posted AND to see if any of us got done...WHAT we planned to get done over the weekend. . . .

Dennis -

Like the others said, give it a little time. I didn't follow up this week because I didn't get anything done. :(

Ted

Matthew Curley
03-18-2003, 1:53 PM
Hi Dennis,

I, for one, love the thread, and hope it will continue... I only posted a few times on BP, but will be more dilligent here. Also, the Weekend Doin's thread by Bob Lasley will set up the Monday thread without Ernie (missing him too :( ).
Side Note: If I remember from the closing of BP, Ernie seemed dienheartened because too many of the people who posted Friday didn't follow up or follow through... I remember a post from him with alot of statistics, and an "oh, well" kind of feel. Yeah, the weekends just don't rock like they used to...

Jim Baker
03-18-2003, 9:52 PM
I enjoy reading what people are getting done. If I ever get anything done, I will post too.

Bob Lasley
03-18-2003, 10:35 PM
Dennis,

You know I'm with you buddy.

Bob

Dennis Peacock
03-19-2003, 12:23 AM
OK....the votes are in........

I <b>will continue</b> the Weekened Accomplishments. I greatly appreciate the feedback, both positive and moderate as my intentions is to help everyone "relax" a little and rest easy among friends.

See ya on the next posting of "The Weekend Accomplishments"!!

John Miliunas
03-19-2003, 8:28 AM
Coolness! Thanks Dennis. I, for one, look forward to it and, as someone else mentioned, didn't always partake in the thread at the old place, I will make every effort to do so here. It is kind of nice to set yourself some goals and see how well you did come Monday. Thanks for keeping it going! Rock on....!!!:cool: