PDA

View Full Version : How do I find a saw sharpener that I can trust?

Josiah Bartlett
03-16-2009, 2:09 AM
My grandfather just gave me two fine old hand saws that I would like to have sharpened and used. I believe they are valuable, and they certainly have sentimental value to me. How do I find someone to true and sharpen them?

The first saw is an Atkins 30" backsaw/miter saw that came with nice miter box. The teeth show signs of contact with metal or just being thumped around in a box during shipping. It probably doesn't cut straight but I haven't tried it yet. It looks fairly true otherwise. The miter box is nice and heavy and operates very smoothly. I have a modern Jorgensen and this one feels so much better in my hand.

The other saw is a Dunlap rip saw. It shows a couple of dents where it must have been dropped or had a hammer land on it or something. I'm presuming it can be trued up. The teeth look nice otherwise.

I'd like to use both of these saws as a tribute to my grandfather, who used them to build a house for his family after he returned from WWII. I would like to find someone near Portland, OR, who can sharpen them well and true them up. I feel reluctant to ship them anywhere because I'd hate to lose them, and I'm reluctant to learn how to sharpen a saw on one I care about. Any suggestions?

Any idea of the value of these two saws and box?

Pictures are of the saws and miter box, respectively.

Dewey Torres
03-16-2009, 2:27 AM
I sent you a PM:)

Steve Thomas
03-16-2009, 6:42 AM
There are a few guys on here that are pretty cluey with saws and will most likely do it for nixs.
and or
Buy a junker from a yard sale and practice practice practice. It'll take you about 10 or so times before you happy, and about 50 before your good every time.

Good luck. the saws look good and well kept.

Ray Gardiner
03-16-2009, 7:13 AM
Hi Josiah,

Can't help you with a value, but this guy might be a good contact for sharpening and a tune up http://www.technoprimitives.com/home

Regards
Ray

Tony Zaffuto
03-16-2009, 8:41 AM
Your address (IIRC) is in the backyard of one of the better known saw guys of modern times. I won't post his name, but if he is needing any work (which I really doubt), maybe he will chime in!

T.Z.

Gary Herrmann
03-16-2009, 9:15 AM
Steve Cooke does a very good job. I think Adriatools recommends him as well.

David Keller NC
03-16-2009, 10:08 AM
From a collector's standpoint, neither saw has much value on the secondary market. That said, of course, they certainly have value to you (and I've a few of my great-grandfather's tools that I wouldn't sell for several hundred that are worth $5 at a flea market).

Tony didn't mention his name, but I think the person he's referring to is Mike Wenzloff (and sons). He does offer re-sharpening of saws made and purchased from him, but you will have to give him a call to see if he's willing to work on vintage saws, and if so, what the backlog is. I would suggest explaining the sentimental value, as otherwise I think he'd advise spending the sharpening money on a better (and more valuable) saw.

David Gendron
03-17-2009, 1:09 AM
I had work done by Mark at Thecno primitive and he is just the best... I think. Great service fast turn a round and amazing work!!
David