PDA

View Full Version : new router table disappointment...

keith ouellette
03-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Here are a couple of pictures of the table saw extension/router table I put together.

The first one is of the support rail I made for it. Years ago I came across a free piece of 1/4" thick 4" x 36" steel flat. The last time we cleaned out the garage My wife asked "How long are you gonna keep this rusty hunk of metal?" to which I replied "I may not know What its good for but I know it will be good for something. Its staying!"

I drilled into the saws steel extension wing and made matching holes in my support rail so I could bolt it on. The bolts sticking out of it are for initial attachment of the table (to level it off) and then there are another series of holes to put screws through to keep it level.

The next one is of the table. It does not have the router plate morticed in. I'm not sure I am going to.

It is fine across its width. Thats what I seemed to concentrate on the most. In some places it dips in and out of flat by .003 at the most.

But I forgot to make one more check for flatness along the length. The front and back ended up a little high at each end so there is just under 1/32" depression (about .027) along most of its length.

Luckily I ended up using all materials I had on hand ( except for the MDF). I even switched back to contact cement I had left over from another project when I found the can of spray glue I bought wasn't any good. So there wasn't much money waisted yet but I did use all those materials and would have to buy replacements for a new table.

I'm gonna sleep on it and see what I think in the morning.

Stephen Edwards
03-16-2009, 12:38 AM
There are solutions to this problem. I wouldn't trash it just yet.

Tom Veatch
03-16-2009, 1:39 AM
...It is fine across its width. Thats what I seemed to concentrate on the most. In some places it dips in and out of flat by .003 at the most.

But I forgot to make one more check for flatness along the length. The front and back ended up a little high at each end so there is just under 1/32" depression (about .027) along most of its length....

1/32 of an inch? Over what distance? I'm not sure I see a problem. Remember, you're not making a precision surface plate.