PDA

View Full Version : My Very First HF

Tony Greenway
03-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Here is a Mesquite crotch wood HF that I turned today. My hat goes off to all of you who turn these things. This little bugger 'bout kicked my b%tt. It only measures 5 1/2"tall by 6 1/2" across, but the 3 knots in it really helped it to put up a good fight. I would like to thank David Christopher down in Pensacola for giving me the wood, he said that it would surprise me with the grain and color, and he was right.

Jarrod McGehee
03-15-2009, 11:44 PM
not bad Tony. a couple pics are blurry and don't do the wood justice but it looks nice. I'm yet to try a HF (and many other things).

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Tony - Congrats on your first hollow form! You did great! Nice form, beautiful wood and I like how you managed to keep some bark on it to give it some texture! Love the contrast between the bark, sapwood and heartwood! Really nice work but I have to warn you about hollow forms - they can become very addicting because when you are finished - ain't nothing like it!

Keep up the good work!

David Christopher
03-16-2009, 7:42 PM
Tony, that looks really cool.. I turned some of that but never thought of something as nice as that

curtis rosche
03-16-2009, 8:44 PM
what tools did you use for it?

Tony Greenway
03-16-2009, 9:34 PM
Curtis, the first thing I did was bore a 2" hole to proper depth with a forstner bit mounted in the tailstock. Then I used my Sorby hollowing tools to hog out the rest the old fashion way. I'm sure with practice that these pieces will get easier to do, if not, they'll make great firewood.:rolleyes: Good luck on your HF attempts.

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Tony to pretty to be firewood. Great looking HF.