PDA

View Full Version : Driving a Nail into Fine Furniture Doesn't Make you a Bandsaw Safety Expert

Andrew Joiner
03-15-2009, 9:35 PM
I really like Gary Knox Bennett's work. He's kinda famous for his Nail Cabinet so I kinda figured he's somewhat of a "character". I found this video and was delighted to see his shop.

I cut aluminum with my saws sometimes but why not lower your guidepost? Watch the video. He cuts a 1" thick block of aluminum with all of the big bandsaws blade exposed.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5105717328013350639

I guess Sam Maloof cuts curves on wood with the stock supported off the table by his hands and tells people"don't do this it's not safe". I was waiting for Gary to say something, but no latter in the video he laughs about getting an "award plaque" for cutting of his finger.
Those darn rich and famous furniture artists!

I'm sure I may do some stuff in my shop that I've done forever and feel safe doing that others would say is unsafe but I have all my fingers.

I do admire anyone who has achieved what Gary has in his work. This not to put him down in anyway. My views on safety are more to say " everyone's different"

jerry nazard
03-15-2009, 10:23 PM
A very enjoyable video - except for the bandsaw. Creepy.

Geoff Potter
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Newbie question alert: was that wax he ran into the blade before he cut the aluminum? Does that help the cut or save the blade?

Dave Lehnert
03-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the link. That was great!

As far a safety goes it is what it is. I enjoy looking at a master working the way he would work in his shop without a camera. Nothing wrong with being safe but sometimes it get in the way of teaching. I guess showing his finger was all the safety tip we needed to see.

Pat Germain
03-15-2009, 11:21 PM
A lot of his work looks like something from Willie Wonka's chocolate factory.

Interesting video. Thanks for sharing, Andrew.

Andrew Joiner
03-16-2009, 2:27 AM
Newbie question alert: was that wax he ran into the blade before he cut the aluminum? Does that help the cut or save the blade?

Yes, I use a wax stick like that for cutting and drilling sometimes.

Alex Shanku
03-16-2009, 8:23 AM
Looked fine to me. Sure looked like he was comfortable with it. I dont drop my guard/guidepost down for a lot of things either.

Andrew Joiner
03-16-2009, 12:38 PM
No problem than Alex. It is a personal thing.

Have you ever had a blade break will sawing? It can fly around for awhile. That is the reason the old saws finally got guards around as much of the blade as possible.

My thought is it only takes a second to lower the post.

Wait on a good saw it takes a second. On some saws you may have to adjust the guides. So a saw "tuned" to have a post inline at all heights might be safer.

glenn bradley
03-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Looked fine to me. Sure looked like he was comfortable with it. I dont drop my guard/guidepost down for a lot of things either.

Any of you that have seen Sam Maloof rough cut chair arms know that he adamantly warns the audience NOT to do as he does for safety reasons. He also appears very comfortable but I think I'll keep my guides close to my work ;-) Also, my saw isn't near as nice as his :o.

M Toupin
03-16-2009, 1:46 PM

It's a cutting lubricant for metals. Aluminum is soft and cuts quite easily with most woodworking tools, though a little lubricant helps it form gumming up the cutters. The sticks work well with BS blades, but you can also use it with things like drill bits and taps that don't need a lot of cooling.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4KK73

Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-16-2009, 2:07 PM

Yah it was a lube for the blade.

george wilson
03-16-2009, 2:21 PM
You would think that unguarded bandsaw wheels would be dangerous,so would I. Sometime ago,there was a big discussion on another forum,where the members are certsinly professionals. There were several who had used old,naked bandsaws. They said when a blade breaks,it pops open,away from the tires,and never gets hung up on the spinning wheels.

That's not my cup of tea,but that's the way the discussion went. On the guarded bandsaws that I have always used,the blade can get hung up in the wheels,but that could be because the blade has no place to go,due to the wheel housings,and can get into the wheels.

Personally,I keep the blade guarded,and if I was making a public video,where newbies,kids,etc. could be watching,I'd try to teach safe habits to the audience out of regard for them.

Thomas S Stockton
03-16-2009, 2:42 PM
Gary Bennett would probably be the first to tell not to follow the way he does things from a safety standpoint but to do what feels right to you.
If you ever get a chance to hear him speak or just hang out with him it is well worth it. Over the years I've heard him speak at various places and what he has to say is always interesting and influential. His work is pretty cutting edge and controversial but he is worth listening to.
Tom