PDA

View Full Version : Mallee Burl (Possibly) Platter with Blue Inlay

Ben Gastfriend
03-15-2009, 8:46 PM
...At least I think it's mallee burl, perhaps someone can confirm that. I got it as a cutoff from a huge bowl at the turning fair I went to last weekend. There were six holes each equidistant from the center of the blank where he held the faceplate on. Thus the blue inlay to conceal these holes.

7 coats of Minwax Wipe-on poly and buffed. Still not quite happy with the little bumps on the poly, even though I sanded with 600 wet between coats. I think I'm going to have to try some Deft laquer (and a respirator) to get the finish I'm after.

And I got rid of the brown fabric, and just used the plain white photo tent. If it looks incandescent yellow on your monitor, know it does on mine. The 2.5" preview screen on the DSLR is misleading, it didn't look nearly as yellow. I'm too tired to go back downstairs and take more pictures with the adjusted white balance, so ya'll (or y'all) will have to deal.

It's about 7.5" x 1.5".

David Christopher
03-15-2009, 8:51 PM
Ben, that looks really nice..dont know finish youre after but I think william Bolen is the poly king.. maybe he can tell you the secret....I think it looks great as is

Ben Gastfriend
03-15-2009, 8:59 PM
Tried this in photoshop, but it looks like it's just floating there, and there's no shadow. Oh well, I'll wait to get the graduated background.

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2009, 9:24 PM
Great looking platter Ben. The second pictures looks better. On your finish ask Steve Schlumpf. He is also a master at wipe on poly.

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2009, 9:38 PM
Ben - great looking platter! Sure looks like Mallee burl! To bad about the colors in the photos! Hope the graduated background arrives soon!

Scott Conners
03-15-2009, 10:19 PM
You might try playing with the levels in photoshop - you can get the white balance close to where it should be. Here's a fast shot at it using Aviary (http://aviary.com/tools/phoenix#).

David Christopher
03-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Scott, with your and steves ability to edit photos..the next time insted of turning something I will just send yall a picture of a tree and yall can go from there

Mark Norman
03-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Scott, with your and steves ability to edit photos..the next time insted of turning something I will just send yall a picture of a tree and yall can go from there
LOL David!!!

good job Ben, Nice burl in that piece.

Dewey Torres
03-16-2009, 2:52 AM

The thing about turning I never realized until I tried it ...

Photo work is just as important as the piece. I too have been learning and one of the edited photos by the turners I used on my album rather than doing it myself. I have gotten better, but I may never get as good as these guys. Remember that golf commercial "these guys are good"? Same here on the creek.

curtis rosche
03-16-2009, 9:43 AM
reall cool burl. nice work

Keith Burns
03-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Ben, ya done good with this. Cool about getting free expensive wood.

Ben Gastfriend
03-16-2009, 2:48 PM
Thanks for the picture tips.

Keith- the bowl from which I got the cutoff was marked at $850 at the show.