PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
07-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Well...........I am EXTREMELY happy that the weekend is over!!!!!!!!!! :D
I was oncall this weekend and it was a TOUGH weekend. I had to work my normal oncall duties AND work a system rebuild as well. Some of you have wanted to see what it is I work on at my "J O B"....So below is a pic of 2 servers, Alpha GS320 Cluster and behind the 2 servers is 48 SuperDLT tape drives in 3 Enterprise Storage 325 slot jukeboxes, and in the cabinets next to them on the right are the FORTY Fiber Channel Switches that connects the 2 servers to the tape libraries and its very own 60 Terabytes of disk storage (cabineter behind the tape libraries). Now, if you are trying to figure it all out for disk storage....that's 1,648 Thirty-Six Gigabyte hard drives (10,000 RPM)
Each server has 32, 1.1 Gigahertz processors, 32 Gigabytes of memory. So there you have it....a "small" sample of what I work with. No...this is NOT the largest system I support. :)

I have BIL and SIL and their two kids visiting this week and I'm grabbing him to help me get the new baby (pics in the PM Gold found in Arkansas thread) shown below setting in her new home.

No shop time....but what did YOU do this weekend.?

Best of weeks to you all.....

Jim Becker
07-19-2004, 3:35 PM
Dennis! No sawdust on that floor, either! Sheesh... :D

My weekend involved no real shop time. Saturday, after mowing the lawn and helping Dr SWMBO stock the fountain/pond with some nice plants and a few fish, I got the next coat of drywall mud around the new bay window in the kitchen eating area. I really hate this kind of work...it's tedious...but I'm glad I paid a lot of attention when the "pros" were doing the kitchen last year as it's saved time and agravation. Doing it their way results in almost no sanding until things are feathered in after the final coat I just put on today dries. The rest of the day was spent preparing for our Sunday picnic with LOML's coworkers...it was going to be an indoor event due to rain, so we prepared in advance for it. Sunday afternoon was the picnic--very enjoyable. The rest of the time was spent with some additional software adjustments to my new work notebook so I can send the old one back for "refurbishment" and "redeployment" to someone who will enjoy working on a three year old machine... :D

DVD of the week was Chocolat...which was excellent.

Pic below is the new window area after the first coat of mud on Friday.

Dick Parr
07-19-2004, 3:47 PM
Making on a head board for the last couple of weeks for the new king size bed and have it about 3/4 finished. Picked up some tung oil today and some stain. Hope to get the legs installed this week and then start the finish. :rolleyes: I hate doing the finish part. :( But I can't get the wife to do it so I have no choice. :p

Lloyd Frisbee
07-19-2004, 3:52 PM
Dennis, it is amazing that all that hardware is required just to keep up with all of Chris Padilla's posts and others here on SMC. :)

Tyler Howell
07-19-2004, 4:05 PM
Dennis, it is amazing that all that hardware is required just to keep up with all of Chris Padilla's posts and others here on SMC. :)
Lloyd LMAO!

Worked on the PM tune up and assembly. Recovering from my gruling road trip 10-12 hour days then a little more PM time.
Came back to a house in shambles. My baby is turning a few coins working for me, remuttling her bedroom and hall way (I gotta pay for that???) She is also expanding the home LAN for her poor old computer challenged dad. Good to have a budding engineer in the house??? You can alway tell an engineer.........:p
Busy week ahead. already back on the road.
Play safe

Scott Coffelt
07-19-2004, 4:20 PM
Well I went into the weekend unemployed, still that way coming out of it too :rolleyes:.

I added a ceiling fan to my office, doesn't sound so tough does it.... well, it went in the same spot as a can light. No top access. I had to take the can apart from the inside. Once it was gone, I was able to install a fan support box and tie into the existing wiring. There was a larger hole left, so added one of those dilly dalley's that cover the hole. Fan works great, but you have to share the same switch for the light. :cool:

Yard work, and then started making a pedistal for some art work the SWMBO found. ;)

Watched two movies: Shade and the other name escapes me, both were alright, not great. All in all a good weekend in my books.

JayStPeter
07-19-2004, 4:23 PM
Rain kept me from washing my truck or cutting the lawn. So, I cleaned the other half of the basement. Tossed shop construction debris and realized that I still have lots of stuff to move into the shop. A couple of Small Shop Storage Projects (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10725) using some LV drawers I got for Christmas helped. But, lots more is needed.

Jay

Bart Sharp
07-19-2004, 4:38 PM
Saturday morning my wife and daughter and I went to Woodcraft to spend the gift certificate Christy got me for our anniversary. Debated between the Flexcut and the Wayne Barton chip knives, ended up with the WB. I will probably go back this Thursday during the 10% off sale to pick up an extra-fine ceramic stone for it. Since we're moving into a tiny apartment, I figure carving will be my best bet to keep woodworking. I have always wanted to learn letter carving, so here's my chance.

The baby fell asleep in the car as we were pulling out of the parking lot, so we took a drive in the country to let her nap and ended up in Leiper's Fork. We had never been there before but it was very nice. Had a pleasant lunch at one of the little restaurants then wandered through the shops. One of the shops just happened to be a pair of guys who build custom guitars and Tennessee flintlock rifles. Lo and behold on the wall was a beautiful chip carved lettering sampler. Talked for a while to the very nice gentleman who was responsible for the carving and hopefully picked up a tip or two that will help me getting started.

Then Sunday we were stood up by the lady we thought would be buying our house. :( I am really starting to get worried about being stuck with a mortgage and no income.

Rich Konopka
07-19-2004, 4:54 PM
So below is a pic of 2 servers, Alpha GS320 Cluster and behind the 2 servers is 48 SuperDLT tape drives in 3 Enterprise Storage 325 slot jukeboxes, and in the cabinets next to them on the right are the FORTY Fiber Channel Switches that connects the 2 servers to the tape libraries and its very own 60 Terabytes of disk storage (cabineter behind the tape libraries). Now, if you are trying to figure it all out for disk storage....that's 1,648 Thirty-Six Gigabyte hard drives (10,000 RPM)
Each server has 32, 1.1 Gigahertz processors, 32 Gigabytes of memory. So there you have it....a "small" sample of what I work with. No...this is NOT the largest system I support. :)

Sounds like a Big Data Warehouse to me?? 60 Terabytes? Tru or Open?

Steve Clardy
07-19-2004, 7:38 PM
Put a new modem in the ol puter, got tired of messing with the old one not wanting to dial up.:D
Worked in shop on a set of kitchen cabs.;)
Did some more work on shop addition. Had to cut and jack up and rebrace one rafter, due to it sagging from being rained on every other day.:mad: Got almost all the tin on the far end wall, and most the tin on roof.:) Have about 5 sheets left on the roof, planning on doing that this evening after the temp comes down below 100.:o And it's on the west side, so it's HOT!!:eek:

Steve

Fred Voorhees
07-19-2004, 8:01 PM
It was "Drywall Weekend" here in Ringoes at the Voorhees household. Got the garage conversion completely rocked and will have someone in shortly to do the mudding. Don't trust my skills enough for a living area where lots of freinds will be congregating to down the swill and knock the pool balls around. But then, if they are knocking down the swill, will they even see any little imperfections? :rolleyes:

Haven't definitely decided as of yet, but I may just move on to doing the painting since none of the "structure" is in yet (perimeter soffits, window seating, fireplace, ect.) and it would alleviate a ton of cutting in later on down the road if I painted then. If not, it will be on to a huge load of 2X4's for the aforementioned "structure" that will give the room it's future character.

Greg Mann
07-19-2004, 9:20 PM
Put a new modem in the ol puter, got tired of messing with the old one not wanting to dial up.:D
Worked in shop on a set of kitchen cabs.;)
Did some more work on shop addition. Had to cut and jack up and rebrace one rafter, due to it sagging from being rained on every other day.:mad: Got almost all the tin on the far end wall, and most the tin on roof.:) Have about 5 sheets left on the roof, planning on doing that this evening after the temp comes down below 100.:o And it's on the west side, so it's HOT!!:eek:

Steve

Hey Steve, got a cat on that hot tin roof?
Sorry, couldn't help myself.:D

Greg

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2004, 9:29 PM
Like you Dennis, I work with some hi-tech stuff. Had a problem with an MR scanner on Thursday evening and ordered parts "special handling"...air freight. Didn't arrive to Friday.....wasn't all of the problem. Worked Saturday and Sunday. I wasn't on call.....it's just with my job...once I start a problem you're on it until it's done or parts are ordered. Sunday afternoon I did manage to knock a couple of things off the "Honey-do" list. Just a couple more and I can proceed to working on finishing my new shop!

Matt Meiser
07-19-2004, 9:37 PM
Thursday night I got a new 24,000 BTU air conditioner. The 8,000 BTU one that I used in my old shop wasn't coming close to cutting it. Saturday and Sunday I spent a lot of time working on my first significant project since moving to the new house and shop at the beginning of the year. We bought a vent-free fireplace in January and I'm finally getting around to building the mantle. A few more pieces of trim and a bunch of sanding and it will be ready to finish.

The mantle is designed to fit in the corner of our family room and my new-last-fall, but almost unused Autodesk QuickCad got quite a workout figuring out all the dimensions. I also got to use the Kreg Jig I got for Christmas for the first time--I'm a believer now-- as well as my new Dewalt Impact screwdriver which I love with the square drive screws I'm trying for the first time (I'll never go back to philips.)

John Miliunas
07-19-2004, 9:56 PM
Friday evening, I finally got the call from Woodcraft that my Ambrosia Maple had finally come in! Yahoo!!! :D Sat., first thing, trip into town for my wood! I only needed about 30brd/ft., but the stuff was so pretty, I ended up with about 45! ;) Once home, I started milling some of it and gave my Smart Guide a workout getting a straight edge on all the boards. Sunday, it was a trip to a brand-new big box (Menard's). Got stocked up on Ply and 2x4's. In between all this, started on another picture frame for yet another of my daughter's pieces. However, I think this one is destined for the burn pile...Just don't like the way it's coming out. That's OK...Still fun getting there! :) Have a super week, everyone! BTW Dennis, that's a nice little PC you got going there! :p :cool:

Steve Clardy
07-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Hey Steve, got a cat on that hot tin roof?
Sorry, couldn't help myself.:D

Greg
Yessiree. But I am the cat!! Ha.
Our two felines are too smart to be up here, So I am. Did manage to get the end wall done, and 1 sheet of roofing before darkness hit.:)
Steve

David Klink
07-20-2004, 3:11 AM
Well...........I am EXTREMELY happy that the weekend is over!!!!!!!!!! :D
I was oncall this weekend and it was a TOUGH weekend. I had to work my normal oncall duties AND work a system rebuild as well. Some of you have wanted to see what it is I work on at my "J O B"....So below is a pic of 2 servers, Alpha GS320 Cluster and behind the 2 servers is 48 SuperDLT tape drives in 3 Enterprise Storage 325 slot jukeboxes, and in the cabinets next to them on the right are the FORTY Fiber Channel Switches that connects the 2 servers to the tape libraries and its very own 60 Terabytes of disk storage (cabineter behind the tape libraries). Now, if you are trying to figure it all out for disk storage....that's 1,648 Thirty-Six Gigabyte hard drives (10,000 RPM)

I have BIL and SIL and their two kids visiting this week and I'm grabbing him to help me get the new baby (pics in the PM Gold found in Arkansas thread) shown below setting in her new home.

No shop time....but what did YOU do this weekend.?

Best of weeks to you all.....Jeeeeumpin ' jeeeehosophat... That's a load and a half! I served as a backup net admin at my last job, but I wasn't supporting anything like that.

My most ambitious computer job involved this case....Well, this is 2nd. The most ambitious one was another I designed for someone that I can't find pictures for.
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/Case4.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/Case3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/CaseWindowS.jpg

Regarding the '70s carpet, my wife still likes it and that's all that matters.:p

Not what you would call a banner weekend for me. We've got a rectangular bush out in front that I'm going to build a wall around similiar to the one I built for our fountain, so I started laying out how I'm going to put it up. Also getting an idea of how many blocks I'll need for it. By my estimation, it will be too many to stick in the trunk of the Bonneville.:rolleyes: