PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Platter

Toney Robertson
03-15-2009, 7:13 PM
Walnut platter - 19" x 1" - AO and Beal buffed. Some really amazing wood with all kinds of colors and grain. I went with a simple edge, no need for anything fancy.

Large radius pieces still give me fits. Hard for me to get a smooth curve with a gouge.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/174-74A.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/174-74B.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/174-74C.jpg

Toney

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-15-2009, 7:20 PM
Looks great to me.

Bruce

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2009, 7:20 PM
Wow - what more could you ask for in a platter! Great form, great grain and wonderful color! You have a winner here Toney! Keep up the good work!

Ted Calver
03-15-2009, 7:30 PM
Toney,
That's a great looking piece!!

Brian Effinger
03-15-2009, 7:44 PM
Very nice Toney. I think you were right to keep it simple, because that grain is very pleasing.

David Christopher
03-15-2009, 8:00 PM
very nice, like the others said, simple is best

Richard Madison
03-15-2009, 8:36 PM
Toney, It looks seriously beautiful from here.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-15-2009, 8:44 PM
Nice job and a beautiful result Toney

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2009, 9:26 PM
Beautiful platter out of some great looking walnut. Love the simple form.

Alan Trout
03-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Toney, very nice platter. To me when beautiful wood is used a simple well executed form enhances the beauty of the wood. Wonderful Execution.

Alan

Nancy Laird
03-15-2009, 10:51 PM
OK, Toney. That's the one. I'll look for it in my mailbox!! It's beautiful, and I LOVE walnut turnings.

Nancy

(And where's the signature??????)

alex carey
03-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Nice looking platter. I really like the color on this one, its a winner.

Jarrod McGehee
03-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Nice color and grain on that and nice work Toney.

Scott Conners
03-16-2009, 1:39 AM
My "WOW" brought the LOML from the other room to also exclaim! That is a seriously beautiful piece of wood. Unreal colors for walnut. Can you tell us what kind of log/cut/orientation led to that grain? It looks like that's probably the pith in the center of the "eye", but I suppose it could be a branch? Great work!

Toney Robertson
03-16-2009, 7:36 AM
OK, Toney. That's the one. I'll look for it in my mailbox!! It's beautiful, and I LOVE walnut turnings.

Nancy

(And where's the signature??????)

Nancy,

Change your mind about more display pieces???? This one is going to my reception at the rich people club. What do you think I should charge?

And yes, it is going to get one of your logos but I did not have time to do that yet.

Thanks for the kind comments,

Toney

Toney Robertson
03-16-2009, 7:47 AM
My "WOW" brought the LOML from the other room to also exclaim! That is a seriously beautiful piece of wood. Unreal colors for walnut. Can you tell us what kind of log/cut/orientation led to that grain? It looks like that's probably the pith in the center of the "eye", but I suppose it could be a branch? Great work!

First, thanks to all for the kind comments. I truly appreciate it.

Scott,

A little history on this piece of wood. About 35 years ago a road was put through my father's land. Three rather large Walnut trees had to be taken out. They had some large limbs that were not cut particularly close to the trunk. The sawyer (for whatever reason) did not cut off the limb stubs in one piece but rather went inch by inch. Most of the pieces are oval in shape and some are rather large. I did another platter that was 21".

Before I starting turning I did not know what to do with these pieces. Once, not long ago, by BIL was cleaning out the barn and suggested throwing these pieces away. I am glad I did not say yes to that idea.

After I started turning I thought of these pieces and thought what the heck, let's give it a try. They are challenging since the grain goes ever which way but I love the wood.

By the way, I am lucky enough to have about a 5' cube of these walnut plaques. So lots of platters to come!!

Toney

Scott Lux
03-16-2009, 9:34 AM
Toney,

You're a lucky man to have so many of those. That's a beautiful piece of wood, and you did a great job on it.

Lux

Keith Burns
03-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Very nice platter Toney !

Nancy Laird
03-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Nancy,

Change your mind about more display pieces???? This one is going to my reception at the rich people club. What do you think I should charge?

And yes, it is going to get one of your logos but I did not have time to do that yet.

Thanks for the kind comments,

Toney

Not really changed my mind. I just don't have any more room!

That piece is easily worth a good three bills, if not more.

Toney Robertson
03-16-2009, 1:28 PM
That piece is easily worth a good three bills, if not more.

Nancy,

I LIKE your thinking. :D

Toney

steven carter
03-16-2009, 2:18 PM
Toney,

Great looking platter, you did that old walnut justice!

Steve

Toney Robertson
03-16-2009, 8:49 PM
One question I forgot to asked.

As I sanded down this piece close to finish, I noticed bright speckles in the wood. Almost like crystals. Very small but in the right light they did sparkle. You don't see them as well after the finish was applied.

Is this silicate in the wood?

Toney

Allen Neighbors
03-16-2009, 9:20 PM
Whooo-eee! That's beautiful!
Yes, sounds like silica to me. But I don't know anything about it... just what I've heard.
You got a knock-out, here!!