PDA

View Full Version : Replacement tote preference

Gary Benson
03-15-2009, 6:31 PM
Since Greg Droz is temporarily unavailable to make replacement totes and knobs, what experience do others have with different sources? Thebestthings has a set, as does Hartville, looks like Woodcraft has a Crown Set. Anyone ordered from Blackapple in Australia, they actually look the best, but how long for shipping? Just finishing a really nice 607 rehab that needs a new tote, want to put it to work sooner than it would take me to attempt to make one myself.
Thanks for the input.

Mike Henderson
03-15-2009, 7:01 PM
They're pretty easy to make. I like cherry as a replacement but if you want a dark wood, walnut looks good also. You only need a piece of wood one inch wide to make a tote.

Since it doesn't take much wood, you can go with some exotics at a decent price, such as cocobolo (which looks really nice).

Mike

Joel Goodman
03-15-2009, 7:29 PM
Is that just for "custom work"? He looks like he has some totes and knobs for sale.

jerry nazard
03-15-2009, 8:21 PM
Gary,

Totes are not difficult to make: once you get your hole drilled the rest is shaping and finishing. Try drawing your shape out on a piece of paper and locating the hole axis. I think the last one I made, the angle was ~25. Drill a series of holes to fit the base, threaded rod, and nut. Then cut and shape the tote. I do a trial one before messing with nice wood.

Ron Petley
03-16-2009, 11:25 PM
I have a rosewood tote, newly made if you want it at cost? PM me.
Cheers Ron.

Richard Dooling
03-17-2009, 9:00 AM
Without a so-so drill press I have found the hardest part is getting the long main hole to track straight all the way through the stock.

What's really nice is that you get to shape the tote to your preference.

Barry Hood
03-18-2009, 7:34 AM
Hi Gary,
I have purchased a blackapple handle and it is excellent. I'm sure it would be at least worth contacting them re shipping to the U.S. Being a local their service was great and the item came well protected and wrapped.
Definitely recommended
Barry

Tony Sade
03-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Is that just for "custom work"? He looks like he has some totes and knobs for sale.

I recently exchanged emails with Greg and he told me he's taking a hiatus from knob/tote making to do some much needed work on a recently acquired house. No mention of the duration of his break.