PDA

View Full Version : Since everyone is building new shops....

Dan Mages
07-19-2004, 12:08 PM
I am building a small one of my own!! Okay, it is a shed, but it will be a doozy! It will be 10x10 with a 4ft covered porch on the front. The roof for the porch will be supported by two six inch round fiberglass columns. It will be sided and roofed with cedar shakes. The front door area will have lap siding with decorative cedar shingles in the gable. The front will have a 6 ft wide double french door. The back wall will have a 3'x3' sliding glass window and the southern wall will have a 4'x3' sliding glass window. Overkill? Maybe, but I think my snow blower and gardening tools will be happy in there during the summer!! I will be doing most of the work myself, except for the concrete slab. I have never done concrete work before, so I have contracted that part to a pro. The footer has been dug and I will post pictures of it tonight.

Dan

Frank Pellow
07-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Sounds good except for the size. 10 x 10 with snow blower, etc. leaves very little room for tools, beches, wood, and people.

JayStPeter
07-19-2004, 12:44 PM
I'd eliminate the 2nd set of doors. IMO, you want to be able to hang stuff on the walls. That takes up a significant amount of the wall space in the shed. Oh yeah, and make it 12x12 :D . I just downgraded from a 12x12 at my old house to a 10x10 now. Big difference in size, not so much in cost.

Jay

Dan Mages
07-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Jay. As much as I would like to do that, the comrades at the politburo restrict sheds to 144 sq ft. Otherwise, I would be doing it at 12x12.

Dan

James Carmichael
07-19-2004, 1:03 PM
Jay. As much as I would like to do that, the comrades at the politburo restrict sheds to 144 sq ft. Otherwise, I would be doing it at 12x12.

Dan

I feel your pain, Dan. See my post :mad: And that's just a city ordnance, I haven't even approached the goose-steppers at the HomeOwner's Association (I swear the officers gather round the piano for Schnapps and a recital of "Horst Wessel" after every meeting.)

BTW, last I checked, 12x12 = 144. Is that based on exterior dimensions?

Dan Mages
07-19-2004, 1:24 PM
Yep. Based on exterior dimensions. The covered porch is included.

Dan Mages
07-25-2004, 4:46 PM
The concrete slab is in and it will be going nowhere. I should have taken a picture of the prepour. Oh well. I hope to start framing next week.

aurelio alarcon
07-26-2004, 2:36 AM
It does seem as though everyone is building new shops. The slab looks as though they poured 4 small slabs to make up the whole 10 x 10. Is that how they did it, or are those just lines for expansion and contraction that they added after the pour?

Dan Mages
07-26-2004, 8:52 AM
It does seem as though everyone is building new shops. The slab looks as though they poured 4 small slabs to make up the whole 10 x 10. Is that how they did it, or are those just lines for expansion and contraction that they added after the pour?
Its actually a 10x14 slab. And yes, those are expansion joints cut into the slab.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-26-2004, 9:03 AM
Can't wait to see the shed...sounds great!