PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt Battery question

Mike Henderson
03-15-2009, 6:02 PM
I have an extra set of Dewalt 18V batteries (new) that I don't need right now - my other batteries are still working fine, but I know they'll fail eventually.

What's the best way to store the new batteries? Should I keep them charged, or just let them sit on the shelf discharged?

Mike

Heather Thompson
03-15-2009, 6:09 PM
Mike,

I don't know how much you use your batteries, but I had a few spares that I let sit on the shelf in the basement (couple years), tried to put them into service and they will not last fifteen minutes. If your use is high enough, I would put them into the normal rotation, just my .02.

Heather

Tom Veatch
03-15-2009, 6:49 PM
I...What's the best way to store the new batteries? Should I keep them charged, or just let them sit on the shelf discharged?

Mike, here's a link that talks about storage of various types of rechargeable batteries. I can't comment one way or another on the validity of the information.

http://www.powerstream.com/Storage.htm

Mike Henderson
03-15-2009, 6:58 PM
Mike,

I don't know how much you use your batteries, but I had a few spares that I let sit on the shelf in the basement (couple years), tried to put them into service and they will not last fifteen minutes. If your use is high enough, I would put them into the normal rotation, just my .02.

Heather
That's a good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I've always used a certain number of "active" batteries and I got stuck on that. Thanks, Heather.

Makes me think of that quote someone has in their signature line - "Don't get stuck on stupid."

Mike

Jason Abel
03-16-2009, 1:17 PM
Mike,

Certainly if usage is an option it is the best. If you have to store them do store them fully charged. You will get better capacity retention.

Jason
MTO Battery

glenn bradley
03-16-2009, 5:02 PM
I ended up with an extra pair for my DeWalts. I just use them in rotation.