PDA

View Full Version : My First Pen !!!!

Angus Hines
03-15-2009, 5:00 PM
Now I'm hooked but I have something to do while the Bot and Laser are b Creeker Gary Kvasnicka (http://sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=25809) http://sawmillcreek.org/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif came down this afternoon and brought with him a Rikon lathe and gave me a few turning and safty lessons.

And in 20 minutes I was turning pens. Now to learn how to turn other stuff.

Thanks again Gary ! :D

Just gotta figure out now where all the deals on pen stuff are.

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2009, 5:15 PM
Angus - congrats on your first pen - sure is a beauty! Have to warn you though, turning is called the vortex for a reason as it will take all your available time and money! We have a number of folks who have just started out in turning and they should be able to warn you and also give you some great advice when it comes to turning! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more from you and your turnings!

Gary Kvasnicka
03-15-2009, 6:03 PM
You are welcome Angus, I enjoyed the visit. Just don't blame me when all your spare time and money have disappeared into the vortex.:D

alex carey
03-15-2009, 6:04 PM
Nice to see you turning. Congrats on the first pen its a beauty.

David Christopher
03-15-2009, 6:09 PM
Great looking pen, and glad to hear that you are hooked

Tom Henry
03-15-2009, 6:29 PM
Great looking pen...if you only turned one pen there is still time for you to get out of the vortex...:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2009, 6:34 PM
Great looking pen. I am sure there will be many more to follow.

Don Carter
03-15-2009, 6:42 PM
Ruh Roh...Angus, one pen is like potato chips and jelly beans. You can't do just one!
The vortex has begun. The pen looks great and we all know there will be many more. Looking forward to seeing them posted here.

All the best.

Don

Angus Hines
03-16-2009, 9:46 AM
Thanks guys.....I'm off to throw money into the Vortex this morning.....LOL

Eric Roberge
03-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Angus,
Great job! I look forward to more project photo's.

But don't let everyone fool you... I don't turn wood and my money is still sucked into the vortex of "woodworking". I guess your up a creek either way... It's a fun creek though:p

Keith Burns
03-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Great job on your first pen. You can always take out a second and even a third mortgage to support your new "habit".

Jim Kountz
03-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Good job on the first pen Angus, now that you're hooked you and your banker can watch your balance drop to horrifying levels!!

Billy Tallant
03-17-2009, 2:45 AM
Angus,
Great job on that 1st pen...The vortex will definately start working on you. I live about 75 miles from Dallas...luckily there is a Woodcraft & a Rockler store there. Now I find myself convincing the wife we need to run to Dallas to go out to eat on the weekends or go to a movie. I also seem to need some new tool or pen supplies when we go. So I have to make a stop to pick up needed supplies. :)

Mark Hix
03-17-2009, 7:15 PM
Congratulations on your first pen. Hang on to it!. Compare it to your 10th, 100th, 500th.....the learning curve is fast and there is a huge variety of styles to choose from as kits or you can go kit-less. The vortex is strong and relentless. My pen addiction pays for my bowl addiction.