PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new jig saw

Dan Mages
07-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Welp, my second-hand B&D jig saw has bit the dust in typical Murphy's law fashion. I need one for a current project. Any reccomendations on a good jig saw? I am leaning towards PC because I like the other tools I have by them.

Thanks!!

Dan

John Miliunas
07-19-2004, 12:03 PM
The "Trion" from Festool. :D The absolute BEST jigsaw I've ever used and, most probably, the last one I'll ever have to purchase! :D Heavy duty, beautiful cuts, great dust extraction, ergonomic...I could go on. Contact our own Bob Marino if interested! :cool:

Brian Riley
07-19-2004, 12:04 PM
I went with the Bosch barrel grip as my replacement and enjoy using it. I find it much easier to maneuver than the top handle style. Just my opinion.

1584AVSK Kit

Brian

Dan Stuewe
07-19-2004, 12:04 PM
I really like my two year old Bosch (head and shoulders better than my old Skil). It would have been nice to wait since they (Bosch) just upgraded and the features they added seem like they bring it up to the Festool feature list. Of course Festool gets very good reviews. Milwaukee also makes a very good jig saw that has received at least Workbench mag. top tool award (a couple years ago). One thing I'd recommend is too check out the difference between barrel grip and the regular handle. Some people really like the barrel grip.

Good luck,

Kurt Aebi
07-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Bosch makes a very nice jig saw.

Porter cable's is nice as well.

Tom Hintz
07-19-2004, 12:08 PM
I should note that I have not used the Porter Cable saws and have not heard anything bad about them.
I have the Bosch 1590, top-handled jigsaw and love it. I know it's a little pricey but really not that bad for a tool that will obviously last longer than I have on this earth.
I have a review with photos of the features at the link below.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/b1590rvu.html

Frank Pellow
07-19-2004, 12:31 PM
The "Trion" from Festool. :D The absolute BEST jigsaw I've ever used and, most probably, the last one I'll ever have to purchase! :D Heavy duty, beautiful cuts, great dust extraction, ergonomic...I could go on. Contact our own Bob Marino if interested! :cool:

I agree completely with John. Treat yourself to a Festool jigsaw and you will never regret the decision. It cost more but the extra cost is well justified.

Michael Ballent
07-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Milwaukee, top or body grip, and supposedly made by bosch :)

Steven Wilson
07-19-2004, 1:08 PM
Festool, Metabo, and Bosch. In this rush for everything Festool the Metabo products tend to get the short shift. Too bad really as they're extreemly good. The new Bosch is a very nice upgrade to the previous models (blade change, stability, etc) but there are still some of the older models available for sale; cheap!

Dan Mages
07-19-2004, 1:28 PM
I don't want to start up any political arguments, but I am trying to avoid purchasing German products, if possible. So Bosch and Festool are pretty much out.

Dan

Christian Aufreiter
07-19-2004, 1:30 PM
I can also recommend the Festool Trion jigsaw. Very smooth operation, toolless blade change, dust collection, CP guide which allows (almost) perfect angles, unique splinter guard, ...
BTW, one of my woodworking buddies from Germany, Dietrich, had the chance to compare the new Bosch (http://www.bosch-pt.de/boptocs-de/Product.jsp;jsessionid=C405CAC28548ACFAD99F02E4154 0EDAC?division=gw&ccat_id=9596&prod_id=8476) to the Festool Trion (http://www.festool-usa.com/portando/artikel/artikel_weiterleiten.cfm?id=289) jigsaw.
Those are his comments:
Both are very powerful, the Bosch seems to be a little
bit faster when sawing 30 mm birch ply. The blade change of the Bosch is more comfortable (it "throws" out the blade), the adjustment of the guide as well. The base of the Bosch saw can be set at different angles without using tools but there's some play within the 90° setting. The metal gear box of the Bosch gets quite hot even after using it for 10 min. The Festool is way better
at cutting thick materials (80 mm beech and 120 mm pine). The CP guide isn't as comfortable to adjust as the Bosch guide but it's way more precise.

Hope this helps,

Christian

Shelley Bolster
07-19-2004, 1:51 PM
I hate to jump in with a negative Dan, but I would stay away from the Dewalt 313 unless you're planning to use it on material no thicker than 1/2. I've had mine for about 3 years now and although the power is OK even after trying the best blades I could find, it cuts on an angle everytime. I've also read others that have experienced the same problem. I swear everytime I use it! :mad:

Shelley

Russ Filtz
07-19-2004, 1:55 PM
I hate the Bosch model with the screw-top blade removal. Seems very cheezy. Other models seems OK though. Saw a Metabo at the tool shop that seemed well built.

Greg Mann
07-19-2004, 2:22 PM
I don't want to start up any political arguments, but I am trying to avoid purchasing German products, if possible. So Bosch and Festool are pretty much out.

Dan
From Atlas Copco website:

Atlas Copco is a global industrial group headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden. The Group, which was founded already in 1873, employs today close to 26 000 people and manufactures products in 17 countries on five continents.

From Milwaukee Electric website:

A Company Within the Atlas Copco Group

Dan,
Understand and appreciate your patriotism, but in today's world it is a pretty fuzzy proposition. IMHO, the best thing to do is reward the best builders with your purchases and, by voting with your dollars, you encourage the US manufacturers to improve their products. It has improved US automobile quality and it can work in other markets. Don't reward anybody for making mediocre products. Again, IMHO.

BTW, the newest Bosch, which I have and like, has a quick release for the blade and added blade guide, but not in a barrel grip just yet. Now Bosch is basically catching up to Festool. Like the others, I suggest looking at the offerings with barrel grips. I don't have one but it sometimes seems like it might be easier to use. Most who have them seem to like them.

Greg

Mike Leonard
07-19-2004, 2:24 PM
I really like my Milwaukee 6266.

Jerry Olexa
07-19-2004, 2:32 PM
Bosch would be my choice. Did some research/trials recently and they came out best! G Luck. You know about the PC/Delta Sale to B and D ?!

Christian Aufreiter
07-19-2004, 2:55 PM
Greg Man wrote:

Dan,
Understand and appreciate your patriotism, but in today's world it is a pretty fuzzy proposition. IMHO, the best thing to do is reward the best builders with your purchases and, by voting with your dollars, you encourage the US manufacturers to improve their products. It has improved US automobile quality and it can work in other markets. Don't reward anybody for making mediocre products. Again, IMHO.

I don't want to start up any political arguments either but why is it patriotic to say "I am trying to avoid purchasing German products, if possible."?
IMO, a patriotic attitude would be if you try to buy regional products, made in "your" country, by a local company, by a local craftsman, etc. But, as you said Greg, this is almost impossible in today's globalized business world, at least as far as we regard large companies. Of course, you can support a craftsman who lives in your area by buying his products. But I wonder who knows where the different parts of power tools come from.
Just think of the DW 621 router which was initially designed and made by Elu, a German company. Over the years it was made in Switzerland, Italy and Czech. BTW, I don't know where it's produced at the moment.

I understand that it's an important aspect to have a good distributor, store or agency which can provide support in the case of problems. If you check out recent threads about Festool you will certainly find out that they offer excellent customer service in the USA and I can't imagine that Metabo or Bosch are extremely bad.

Personally, I look for the tool which serves my needs best.

Regards,

Christian

Ron Jones near Indy
07-19-2004, 3:15 PM
If your tool dollars are limited, I would look for the older Bosch saw that is available at very good prices due to the introduction of the newer model. I have it and am well pleased with it. :) Around here it is about $120.

Doug Jones
07-19-2004, 6:45 PM
I noticed nobody mentioned Frued jigsaw. As an owner of one I know why nobody recommends it. And I DO NOT recommend it as well.

markus shaffer
07-19-2004, 6:46 PM
Dan,

For whatever your reasoning to avoid German products, I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will complain about Festool products.. As I wear tools out or as budget allows, I replace them and add to my collection with Festool.. I have to agree with some of the previous comments, I think it's far better to just support the company with the best product rather than settle for what is lesser quality but built at home..

Not to belittle American ingenuity, but go compare just about any products out there that you can with German made counterparts.. Ever used a Leica camera? Try Meile vacumn cleaners and dishwashers.. Compare a Smith & Wesson with a Heckler & Koch... BMW and Ford? In every one of those instances, the Germans build far superior products.. (The previous is my opinion of course and I hope not to have offended any Smith & Wesson/Ford /Hoover/Nikon owners) Don't get me wrong, I'd rather support American companies, but in reality I'd rather have just bought one Festool sander to begin with when I started woodworking rather than having gone through 3 Porter Cables 1 Dewalt and 1 Makita.. Then again, woodworking is how I pay my bills, so for me, it pays to buy the right tool the first time.. It took me several years to learn that and it has cost me more in the long run..

For what it's worth, I still have a Porter Cable jigsaw and it suffices for what it does.. I don't use it often except for rough work. I've never gotten it to give me consistant square cuts. The blade always deflects to one side or the other (sometimes both directions in the same cut) except in thin material. But to be fair, I've never used a jigsaw that was all that precise.. My expectations of jigsaws in general is pretty low and as I said, I don't often use it for that reason..

-Markus

Steve Clardy
07-19-2004, 7:19 PM
After owning a bosch for five years trouble free and it being a cadallic, and using their top of the line blades, I have to say Bosch even though you are having german problems.
Before I bought it, I was dead set on PC, currently owning over twenty of their other tools. But I picked one up at a wood show, looking it over, and boy, it WEIGHED A TON!
So I bought a bosch and haven't looked back.
Steve:o

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-19-2004, 7:48 PM
I bought the DeWalt and couldn't make a square cut (even with a good blade), so took it back. I've always though the Bosch was top dog, but I've read some complaints about it having the same problem at times. We had a Makita at the mesquite outfit that was a total POS. A buddy of mine has a PC that doesn't have a tilting base...that may be what I need because it would seem to eliminate the above problem. I also saw a Freud in the Klinsgor catalog (website) that looks like it doesn't tilt (cheap, too...$129?)...

KC

Frank Pellow
07-19-2004, 8:14 PM

Dan

It's your loss.

Greg Mann
07-19-2004, 9:01 PM
It's your loss.
Frank,

In an indirect way, we all lose. I once had this debate with a fellow machine shop owner. He was a jig grinder and the world-class machines for him were Moore(US) and Sip(Swiss). He had Moores although he coveted the Sips. He chided me for not having US made CNC machines. I told him it was easy for him because Moore was a world-class machine, but how patriotic would it be for me to: reward mediocrity (there were pitifully few options for me outside Japanese or Euro machines) and make myself a less than world-class manufacturer in the process. I felt the most patriotic thing I could do was equip myself with the best I could find so that I could compete with the rest of the world. That was 1976 and it is even more true today.

Dan,
I know this is drifting from the best jig-saw question, but you brought up the German avoidance issue. Would you like to expound on that? Is it a 'buy American' thing or are Japanese tools okay? Just curious. If you want to keep it to yourself that's your perogative, but many, if not most, of the best tools are not made here anymore, unfortunately.

Greg

Betsy Yocum
07-19-2004, 10:14 PM
I have the Dewalt 313 as well and an old craftsman (its older than I am and that's old). The craftsman, beleive it or not, works better than the Dewalt. Only problem is I have a hard time finding blades to work. The craftsman weighs an absolute ton, and because it has a totally metal body (including the handle) it gets very hot, very fast, but it does a great job on anything I cut with it. It will be very sad the day it decides to give out.

The DeWalt's blades always seems to go to an angle - I've even tried countering the blade by tilting the foot, but its no good. So the DeWalt has been relegated to rough cuts only. Which it is very good at.

Dino Makropoulos
07-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Hi Guys. Hello Christian.
In my last visit in GR. I visit few power tool stores.
The best sellers(at this stores) was Bosch,Dewalt and Makita.(German-American and Japan)
Other high end european (German) brands like Hilti-Festool-Maffel-Holzher-Metabo.
was available to the market but not at the traditional tool stores or the
Big Boxes.(1/10 the size of US big boxes).

When I test market our products there, the store managers was happy to see
the made in the USA sticker at the packading. Two of them even suggest to make the stickers bigger.And to my surprice they look at the product and ask me 1000 questions. The orders was so good that we decide to make a euro version of the EZSmart for the Balkans,North Africa and Midlle East markets.
As for the other EU countries we have few proposals from major EU manufactors for the exclusive distribution rights.

Imagine now if this people hade told me...We don't like your products because tey'r made in the USA.

And here allow me to say something about the US made products.
The markets in US, EU, Far east and Africa aren't the same.

And the US manufactures are forced by the market to produce what they produce best. A good quality product for your buck.
I saw the Dewalt tools in EU and to me (and many others in EU) are better
than some higher priced european tools.
I think the best example is Bosch/Skill combination and who knows....Dewalt/Porter Cable ?
In my opinium competition is good and good partnerships are even better.

Dan Mages
07-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Dan,
I know this is drifting from the best jig-saw question, but you brought up the German avoidance issue. Would you like to expound on that? Is it a 'buy American' thing or are Japanese tools okay? Just curious. If you want to keep it to yourself that's your perogative, but many, if not most, of the best tools are not made here anymore, unfortunately.

Greg

Greg.

It's not just a buy American only thing. I just have certain disagreements with the foreign policy of Germany and France.

Thanks for the input. I will stop by my tool shop tomorrow and check out a few models mentioned here.
Dan

David Rose
07-19-2004, 11:15 PM
I was raised to understand (by a low level wood worker) that a jig saw had a table like a small scroll saw. I had one as a kid. The same man defined a hand held saw of which we seem to be speaking as a "sabersaw". Are the terms jigsaw and sabersaw now synonymous or was I taught wrong in the beginning?

David, the often confused :(

Michael Ballent
07-19-2004, 11:22 PM
I was raised to understand (by a low level wood worker) that a jig saw had a table like a small scroll saw. I had one as a kid. The same man defined a hand held saw of which we seem to be speaking as a "sabersaw". Are the terms jigsaw and sabersaw now synonymous or was I taught wrong in the beginning?

AFAIK the term jigsaw and sabersaw are the same tool... But I have been wrong in the past ;)

Greg Mann
07-20-2004, 12:47 AM
Greg.

It's not just a buy American only thing. I just have certain disagreements with the foreign policy of Germany and France.

Thanks for the input. I will stop by my tool shop tomorrow and check out a few models mentioned here.
Dan
Dan,

Understand. But those things are transitory.

Greg

Frank Pellow
07-20-2004, 2:17 AM

To me the terms 'jig saw' and 'sabre saw' have always meant the same thing (and I go bak a long way). Lately, however, I hardly ever hear anyone using the term 'sabre saw'.

Michael Ballent
07-20-2004, 2:24 AM
To me the terms 'jig saw' and 'sabre saw' have always meant the same thing (and I go bak a long way). Lately, however, I hardly ever hear anyone using the term 'sabre saw'.
Maybe its the term Sabre...;) could frighten someone off...

David Rose
07-20-2004, 3:16 AM
Yeah, it probably isn't politically correct any longer. :eek:

Two different online dictionary/encyclopedias neither really distinguished between the two.

David

Maybe its the term Sabre...;) could frighten someone off...

David Klink
07-20-2004, 4:35 AM
I'll throw a vote out there for my Makita 4305T. I've had it for around a year and a half, and love it. Well balanced, cuts great, easy to control with the barrel grip.

I don't think they make this model any longer, but I'm sure whatever they replaced it with is just as worthy.

Betsy Yocum
07-20-2004, 9:29 AM
Micheal - my Uncle Pete had a "Jigsaw" (now my brother has it) - it was like you described - it had a table with an arm that moved up and down at one speed - FAST. I learned to cut out rough shapers when I was a kid - Uncle Pete was the only one who ever let us girls near the woodshop - but it was a rare treat. I don't know what model it was - but it works like a charm. The sabre saw was what we now call the Jigsaw - I think people use the term interchangeably.

Betsy

Russ Filtz
07-20-2004, 9:43 AM
I remember scroll saws being called jig-saws and jig saws called sabre saws. Now a sabre saw to me is a Sawz-All! So now I've got scroll saw (table), jig-saw (mobile scroll saw!), sabre (in-line blade, LARGE mobile scroll saw!)

John Miliunas
07-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Now a sabre saw to me is a Sawz-All! So now I've got scroll saw (table), jig-saw (mobile scroll saw!), sabre (in-line blade, LARGE mobile scroll saw!)

Hmmm...Then what the heck is a "Recipricating saw"???!!! :confused: I think it's kind of "Vise grips", "Channel locks" and "Xerox"....Sometimes item names are called the brand name for so long, it becomes one in the same. To me, a "skill saw" was always what we know today as a circular saw! :cool:

Lloyd Robins
07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
I currently have an older PC 97549 "bayonet" saw. It is fixed base, but quite accurate at 90 deg. The different names are interesting. That said when I can I intend to get a Festool saw whatever the name. Love their tools.

Dino Makropoulos
07-20-2004, 6:42 PM
Hi Christian.
Lets take Porter Cable as an example.This co. is forced to sell to the
big boxes and the same time to the small stores,To Amazon and to other internet dealers.
They can't afford to stay out from any of this markets.
So ..they have to walk a fine line between the distributors/dealers and the consumers, both DIY/Pros.
And look at the products that they manage to pull out. Can you find me a circular saw or router of the same quality and price in EU?
What I'am trying to say is ..the American manufactures cater to the American market and they do OK.
If you see the Dewalt tools in EU they're more European design and priced
And if you take BOSCH tools in US they're made by Skill and look more American than European. And if you look close at the fine print all of the above tools...some of them are made in China and Taiwan.
I have a circular saw here (prototype) made in China that is Better that all the above makes. And I have another saw (Prototype)made in Germany By A major EU manufacture that is...the one I will never use.
I think I will stop here for now. This thing is getting more complicated that it seems.

Dan Mages
07-20-2004, 8:13 PM
I talked to the people at the tool shop and they have confirmed what many of you have said. Bosch makes the best jig saws on the market. Despite what I said earlier, I am going to purchase one. Now, which model should I get. Is there enough improvement on the new model to spend an additional $40?

Dan

Frank Pellow
07-20-2004, 8:32 PM
I talked to the people at the tool shop and they have confirmed what many of you have said. Bosch makes the best jig saws on the market. Despite what I said earlier, I am going to purchase one. Now, which model should I get. Is there enough improvement on the new model to spend an additional $40?

Dan

There were many of us said that Festool, not Bosch makes the best jig saw. Now that you have decided to buy from a German company, why don't you buy the BEST. I strongly advise you to try both before your purchase. If you do give both saws a good test, I am confident that you will buy Festool.

Jim Becker
07-20-2004, 8:47 PM
According to their latest ad, they improved the blade guides for better cutting with less wandering, incorporated a tool-less release for tilting the base and added a simple lever for releasing the blade during changes. It also has a heftier motor. I'd go with the newer model, but that's not unusual for me!

The real decision is...D-Handle or Barrel Handle?! (I chose barrel for my Festool as I felt I had more control with that format) If I hadn't bought the Green and Black tool, I would have bought the Bosch. Nice machine.

Dan Mages
07-20-2004, 8:51 PM
There were many of us said that Festool, not Bosch makes the best jig saw. Now that you have decided to buy from a German company, why don't you buy the BEST. I strongly advise you to try both before your purchase. If you do give both saws a good test, I am confident that you will buy Festool.

Frank. It all comes down down to dollars and cents. The Bosch saw is between $120-$160. The Festool saw is between $250-$300. I will buy what I can afford.

Dan

Jack Young
07-20-2004, 9:11 PM
There is one feature about the Festool which none of the others seem to have incorporated. The Festool has a zero tolerance clear plastic plate which really stops, totally, the ragged edge on the cut, the spintering. In fact, one can size a separate plate for every type blade and remove and insert them in a flash for any use.

A contractor came into Woodcraft over in Springfield recently during a demonstration and watched a cut being made without the plate. Just like the others. Then the demo guy inserted the plate into the saw base and made the same cut. The contractor's jaw dropped and he said, "I'll take one." And he ordered it on the spot. It also has blade guides which do hold it beautifully at perpindicular, though I have experienced a small amount of wandering working 4X material on occasion, but it will take it out with a few thin cuts in no time.

I can't imagine a better jigsaw/sabresaw/whatever than Festool.

Jack Young

Steve Clardy
07-20-2004, 10:27 PM
There is one feature about the Festool which none of the others seem to have incorporated. The Festool has a zero tolerance clear plastic plate which really stops, totally, the ragged edge on the cut, the spintering. In fact, one can size a separate plate for every type blade and remove and insert them in a flash for any use.

A contractor came into Woodcraft over in Springfield recently during a demonstration and watched a cut being made without the plate. Just like the others. Then the demo guy inserted the plate into the saw base and made the same cut. The contractor's jaw dropped and he said, "I'll take one." And he ordered it on the spot. It also has blade guides which do hold it beautifully at perpindicular, though I have experienced a small amount of wandering working 4X material on occasion, but it will take it out with a few thin cuts in no time.

I can't imagine a better jigsaw/sabresaw/whatever than Festool.

Jack Young
Hey Jack. My bosch, [around five years old] also has a clear plastic plate to stop splintering, and it works great.:)

Dan, I feel comfortable with my current one and see no need to update to the newer model. Ones like mine are no longer manufactured I'm sure, so check around. There ought to be some decent prices out there on them. New five years ago was $160.00.
Steve

Frank Pellow
07-21-2004, 8:26 AM
Frank. It all comes down down to dollars and cents. The Bosch saw is between $120-$160. The Festool saw is between $250-$300. I will buy what I can afford.

Dan

Find the extra money. You will soon thank yourself that you did so and you will thank me that I kept bugging you to get a Festool jig saw. By the way, I recommend the barrel grip.

Dan Mages
07-21-2004, 9:09 AM
Ow.. ow!! OWW!!! Watch the arm twisting there Frank!! Do any of you Festool Junkies want to pitch in and help my buy a Festool Jigsaw?

Jim Becker
07-21-2004, 9:11 AM
Dan, talk with Bob Marino...he may be able to find a deal for you or at least twist your arm a little harder! :D

John Miliunas
07-21-2004, 9:14 AM
Ow.. ow!! OWW!!! Watch the arm twisting there Frank!! Do any of you Festool Junkies want to pitch in and help my buy a Festool Jigsaw?

Dan, agree with all the Festool junkies and, as Jim indicates, check with Bob. :) There's a chance he can find a "Demo" or "Refurb" for you. That's a GREAT way to get into Festool. :D I have purchased several that way and, had I not known any different, I'd swear they were brand-new pieces! :cool:

Dan Mages
07-21-2004, 9:23 AM
MAN! I think I will need my arm in a sling soon. I sent Bob a PM. Lets see what he can do.

Dan

John Miliunas
07-21-2004, 9:36 AM
MAN! I think I will need my arm in a sling soon. I sent Bob a PM. Lets see what he can do.

Dan

What?! :eek: *ONLY* ONE sling? Sheeeeesh...We must be slippin', guys! :mad: Hey, seriously, if the Bob guy can help you out, you will be amazed by how well that saw works! The first thing I tried it on was some 6/4+ Hard Maple. Cut wiggly line into it and then put my little engineer's square to it: Not a single point was out of square! I was duly impressed! :D Plus, you also need to remember that they have a "no-hassle" return policy. If you're not happy with it, you're not "stuck" with it! (I can't imagine myself ever returning *any* of my Festools, but it's nice to know the option is there for future purchases.) Good luck! :cool:

Russ Filtz
07-21-2004, 9:41 AM
If you do go Bosch, I would second the newer model. I Absolutely HATE the blade change mechanism on my Bosch 1587 Progressor! Saw gets minimal home usage and the other day the mechanism came apart! I had to take the front off to get things lined back up and release the blade. Others have had problems with the blade release too. I am thinking of selling it and getting a Festool or anything with a lever action blade change!

Steve Clardy
07-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Don't gang up and beat me too hard here Festool owners. Ha:eek:
Quick rundown on prices.
Festool- 250.00 is the lowest price on a quick search.
Bosch [old style top handle]
amazon-162.00
toolmart-159.99
toolseeker.com--
woodworkers supply-142.00
allprotools-144.00
jimslimstools.com-139.00
toolsforless.com-137.88

Yea, I'm still pushing bosch.;)
Steve

Ron Jones near Indy
07-21-2004, 12:43 PM
around here still have a few of the old style Bosch (most with top handle) in the $120 to 130 range.

Dan Mages
07-21-2004, 1:03 PM
Don't gang up and beat me too hard here Festool owners. Ha:eek:
Quick rundown on prices.
Festool- 250.00 is the lowest price on a quick search.
Bosch [old style top handle]
amazon-162.00
toolmart-159.99
toolseeker.com--
woodworkers supply-142.00
allprotools-144.00
jimslimstools.com-139.00
toolsforless.com-137.88

Yea, I'm still pushing bosch.;)
Steve

Steve. I thought the old model was the 1587. Amazon is selling it for $127

Dan

BTW, there is no Festool left handed circular saw. There goes that idea.

David Hayes
07-21-2004, 1:15 PM
Dan,
No matter which one you buy, you are in for a real treat. All of the "professional" model jig saws will make you wonder why you didn't have one sooner.
I haven't read through all of the posts before posting so I apologize if I'm restating something.
Dave

Steve Clardy
07-21-2004, 2:23 PM
Steve. I thought the old model was the 1587. Amazon is selling it for $127

Dan

BTW, there is no Festool left handed circular saw. There goes that idea.
Dan. Yes on the 1587, but it has a AVS behind it also,[mine] showing it is the top handle. Slightly newer version is the 1587AVSK. Barrel grip is a different number, 1584AVSK.
When I did a goggle search I came up with that price for amazon without actually going to their site.
But I just went there and you are correct on the 127.00 price.
Steve, who hasn't broke your arm. lol ;)

Ken Salisbury
07-22-2004, 12:57 PM
http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/redflag.jpg

Folks,

I had to do some extensive scrubing of this thread for reasons I will not elaborate on. Please stick to the thread subject and refrain from wandering into areas which are not germain to the subject at hand.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Dan Mages
07-22-2004, 1:28 PM

Folks,

I had to do some extensive scrubing of this thread for reasons I will not elaborate on. Please stick to the thread subject and refrain from wandering into areas which are not germain to the subject at hand.

Sorry if I stirred up some poop here. Anyhow. I spoke to Bob and he was able to get me a rerbished Festool for just a little more than a Bosch. I hope it will be here soon!!

Dan

John Miliunas
07-22-2004, 1:32 PM
Sorry if I stirred up some poop here. Anyhow. I spoke to Bob and he was able to get me a rerbished Festool for just a little more than a Bosch. I hope it will be here soon!!

Dan

IMHO, you have nothing to apologize for, but hey, it IS just my opinion! :rolleyes: At any rate, me thinks you'll be quite impressed and happy with the Festool! Just one, heavy-duty unit with a real "can do" attitude! Bob will do you good...! :D Enjoy!!! :cool:

Dan Mages
07-22-2004, 1:52 PM
Welp. I will give it a good workout once my dislocated shoulder and elbow heel. Did you have to twist that hard?

Dan

John Miliunas
07-22-2004, 2:05 PM
Welp. I will give it a good workout once my dislocated shoulder and elbow heel. Did you have to twist that hard?

Dan

Yikes! :eek: Sorry 'bout that! :o The sure cure for that comes in the form of a new black and green tool to be used daily or until said injury(s) feel(s) better! :D :cool:

Sam Chambers
07-22-2004, 5:20 PM
Thank you, Ken!

Steve Clardy
07-22-2004, 8:45 PM

Folks,

Ken. Always knew you were good for something other than turning pens.;)
Dan. Glad you settled on a purchase.:)
Festool pushers, I am now gonna sit in the corner and pout as you are 1 up on me now, talking Dan into something other than a Bosch.:(
I am outa here!!!:eek::eek::eek:
Steve

John Miliunas
07-22-2004, 9:19 PM
Festool pushers, I am now gonna sit in the corner and pout as you are 1 up on me now, talking Dan into something other than a Bosch.:(
I am outa here!!!:eek:
Steve

Awwww, come on now, Steve! Don't go away mad! :mad: I have no doubt that Bosch is a good tool. Never said it wasn't! :) Fact is, I still have a Bosch ROS (one of the EVS models) and it's a darn nice unit. That said, though, I also have several Festool sanders and they are just a bit nicer, IMHO. :) Heck, if we all like the same flavor of everything, it'd get pretty dern boring 'round here in a real hurry! If it makes you feel any better, it seems that most of the guys around here are heavy into MM bandsaws. I've still got my Laguna and have no need nor intention of switching! :D :cool:

Steve Clardy
07-22-2004, 9:51 PM
Awwww, come on now, Steve! Don't go away mad! :mad: I have no doubt that Bosch is a good tool. Never said it wasn't! :) Fact is, I still have a Bosch ROS (one of the EVS models) and it's a darn nice unit. That said, though, I also have several Festool sanders and they are just a bit nicer, IMHO. :) Heck, if we all like the same flavor of everything, it'd get pretty dern boring 'round here in a real hurry! If it makes you feel any better, it seems that most of the guys around here are heavy into MM bandsaws. I've still got my Laguna and have no need nor intention of switching! :D :cool:
Yo. Naw, not mad. Just pouting.:(
Having a great time, just funning as usual. Heck, wouldn't be any fun if we didn't have a tool debate like Ford, Chevy, Dodge debates. Ha. BTW, I am a FORD FAN if we want to start one of those. :D
Hey, you gonna send Dan a sling and bandages after injuring him? Gosh, that's the least you could do.;) He can't afford those now after buying a new toy, er tool.:o
Steve

John Miliunas
07-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Yo. Naw, not mad. Just pouting.:(
Having a great time, just funning as usual. Heck, wouldn't be any fun if we didn't have a tool debate like Ford, Chevy, Dodge debates. Ha. BTW, I am a FORD FAN if we want to start one of those. :D
Hey, you gonna send Dan a sling and bandages after injuring him? Gosh, that's the least you could do.;) He can't afford those now after buying a new toy, er tool.:o
Steve

LOL! I don't think we hurt him THAT bad. Besides, he can always use the cord from his old jigsaw for a sling! :D :cool:

Dan Mages
07-22-2004, 11:50 PM
LOL! I don't think we hurt him THAT bad. Besides, he can always use the cord from his old jigsaw for a sling! :D :cool:
My old one was cordless.

John Miliunas
07-23-2004, 7:46 AM
Ahhh...No wonder you're looking for a new one! I'll see what I can come up with for a sling for 'ya! :D :cool:

Dale Thompson
07-23-2004, 10:04 PM
You rich folks have filled this thread with suggestions for saws that cost over ten bucks!? That is seven dollars more than I see in a MONTH!! :( I have trouble "coping" with folks who have never heard of a "coping saw". I can get one for a buck one fifteen at a garage sale. It also comes with TEN extra blades. I know that they take a bit of skill and "muscle" to use but at sixty-three (on July 26th), I don't seem to have the problems that you young "pansies" have with "work". Instead of investing in 110, 220, 440v, etc. why don't you buy some weight lifting equipment? ;)

Incidentally, my saw was made in Antarctica. Does anyone have a problem with that? Remember that Ken is on the prowl for controversy. :cool: ;)

Dale T. :cool:

Steve Clardy
07-24-2004, 9:37 AM
You rich folks have filled this thread with suggestions for saws that cost over ten bucks!? That is seven dollars more than I see in a MONTH!! :( I have trouble "coping" with folks who have never heard of a "coping saw". I can get one for a buck one fifteen at a garage sale. It also comes with TEN extra blades. I know that they take a bit of skill and "muscle" to use but at sixty-three (on July 26th), I don't seem to have the problems that you young "pansies" have with "work". Instead of investing in 110, 220, 440v, etc. why don't you buy some weight lifting equipment? ;)

Incidentally, my saw was made in Antarctica. Does anyone have a problem with that? Remember that Ken is on the prowl for controversy. :cool: ;)

Dale T. :cool:
Yo Dale. Are you telling us that you are older than dirt?:D
I thought all the coping saws that were left were in museums??:eek:
Steve

David Rose
07-24-2004, 5:07 PM
Steve, do you really need to be told about Dale's age? I have to tread lightly here as he is a pretty sensitive guy... But I too have a coping saw! Before you get the wrong idea, I inherited it from this really really old customer many years ago. He may have even been older than Dale.

David

Yo Dale. Are you telling us that you are older than dirt?:D
I thought all the coping saws that were left were in museums??:eek:
Steve

Dale Thompson
07-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Steve, "Spring", Dan and David,

OK - You bullies. I've been out of the loop for a few days. I've been up at the cabin winning the America's Cup with my pontoon boat. I've also had a few Iron Man Triathlons and World's Strongest Man Contests to win. No sweat on any of those minor details. :cool: ;)

Keith, Jackie, ANYONE! Please help me by deleting all of the messages posted by the above members and others who don't understand diversity in terms of old age. I'm in tears because I am such a sensitive, caring, decent human being. ;) I was going to post a question as to the best adhesive to hold my crutches together and to keep the wheels from falling off of my wheelchair. FORGET IT!! Those folks will just make fun of me -- AGAIN!! :) :)

By the way, does the "rake" of a "coping" saw blade face "up" or "down"?? :confused: ;) :)

Dale T.

David Rose
07-29-2004, 11:44 PM
John, Dan, Steve,

Guys, what did I tell you about the old man. He's SENSITIVE!!! Do I have ta yell at ya? Now see what you guys did.

Now to the serious part. Dale, I have a couple of bottles of predried super glue that should be just the ticket for high strength for the crutches. Cheap too! I'll sell what's left to you for exactly what I gave for it full (plus freight of course... and a little handling :rolleyes: ) and save you all that driving expense. Yeah, I had that invested originally. *Your* wheelchair really has wheels?? Do they roll?

Do you want to pull or push the coping saw? Are you North or South of the equator? Do you want the tearout on the top or bottom? I know I opened a can of worms on that one... Whichever... be sure to turn the teeth to the *inside* of the loop. It is much harder to cut yourself (or anything else) that way.

Glad to have you back... I think.

David, who has trouble coping but hopes he is younger than Dale

OK - You bullies. I've been out of the loop for a few days. I've been up at the cabin winning the America's Cup with my pontoon boat. I've also had a few Iron Man Triathlons and World's Strongest Man Contests to win. No sweat on any of those minor details. :cool: ;)

Keith, Jackie, ANYONE! Please help me by deleting all of the messages posted by the above members and others who don't understand diversity in terms of old age. I'm in tears because I am such a sensitive, caring, decent human being. ;) I was going to post a question as to the best adhesive to hold my crutches together and to keep the wheels from falling off of my wheelchair. FORGET IT!! Those folks will just make fun of me -- AGAIN!! :) :)

By the way, does the "rake" of a "coping" saw blade face "up" or "down"?? :confused: ;) :)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
07-30-2004, 12:07 AM
David,
All this time I thought that you were a nice guy! :rolleyes:

First of all, I have PLENTY of dried up super glue. There you go again - trying to take advantage of my sensitivity and old age. I will turn you in to the postal service for trying to extort money from a senior citizen. I hope that you will sleep well tonight. ;)

What's the big deal if my wheelchair wheels are square? That is the only thing that keeps my wife from pushing my old carcass into the river in front of our house. :(

What is an Equator? Is it some sort of a new calculator? The only thing that I know about north and south is when I wanted to fight in the Civil War. I was rejected because of my old age. I missed both of the famous battles of Peshtigo!! :mad: ;) :)

Dale T.

David Rose
07-30-2004, 12:29 AM
Dale, I'm so sorry. I really tried, or at least thought about it, to get the guys to back off before you got back from the Special Senior Olympics drift boat races. Remember that I'M the one who reminded them about how sensitive you are.

Did I say that glue was "dried up"? Oh! Sorry! I meant the FULL bottle. Sorry SIR! Communication failed at some level.

I got it now. You want to glue those square wheel chair wheels to the ground to make them harder for "someone" to turn you into catfish food. OK, while things are nice and dry use Original Titebond. Tell her she owes me for the idea, if you accept.

I'm sorry they left you out of the civil war. :( But you would probably have "shot your eye out" with your Red Ryder.

David

David,
All this time I thought that you were a nice guy! :rolleyes:

First of all, I have PLENTY of dried up super glue. There you go again - trying to take advantage of my sensitivity and old age. I will turn you in to the postal service for trying to extort money from a senior citizen. I hope that you will sleep well tonight. ;)

What's the big deal if my wheelchair wheels are square? That is the only thing that keeps my wife from pushing my old carcass into the river in front of our house. :(

What is an Equator? Is it some sort of a new calculator? The only thing that I know about north and south is when I wanted to fight in the Civil War. I was rejected because of my old age. I missed both of the famous battles of Peshtigo!! :mad: ;) :)

Dale T.

Steve Clardy
07-30-2004, 11:24 AM

Dale T.
You two ol codgers [Dale and David?] are killing me here!!!! What I need is
MORE COFFEE this morning!!!
See what happens when you leave your post Dale? lol
Steve

Rob Russell
07-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Well, I actually have a comment to post about jigsaws, sabre saws (I remember them being called that) ...

I have a PC variable speed, top handle. Nice saw but there are times when the recessed blade causes a problem. Same thing with the width of it. The last time was when I was cutting out a countertop to install a sink. I have a beat-up old B&D where the blade is flush to the front that I keep for purposes like that.

Beyond that, I have little to add to the jigsaw debate.

Rob

Dale Thompson
07-30-2004, 9:34 PM
David and Steve,
What is a Red Ryder? They must have come after "pea shooters". Anyway, I was off to help John Brown at Harper's Ferry so I was armed to the teeth with my two best "pea shooters", two pockets full of REALLY hard peas and a knapsack full of sandwiches stacked with recent "road kill". I think that SKUNK was on sale that week. Whatever, you CAN'T shoot your eye out with a "pea shooter". I did, however, hit myself in the forehead one time. The mark is still there. :eek: :rolleyes:

I've been insulted enough! I'd be out of here if it weren't for the square wheels on my wheelchair. I'll find a way, though. I've got an appointment with my shrink. She is a twenty-three year old georgeous blond lady with measurements that wouldn't even fit on this screen. ;) Laugh all you want! :) :) I'll talk to you folks from the grave! :cool:

Dale T.

Dan Mages
07-31-2004, 10:44 PM
I've been insulted enough! I'd be out of here if it weren't for the square wheels on my wheelchair. I'll find a way, though. I've got an appointment with my shrink. She is a twenty-three year old georgeous blond lady with measurements that wouldn't even fit on this screen. ;) Laugh all you want! :) :) I'll talk to you folks from the grave! :cool:

Dale T.

Well Dale, maybe next time you should use power tools when you make your wheels. So what is this shrinks name? Do you have any pics? We love pics!

Dan

Dale Thompson
07-31-2004, 11:25 PM
Dan,
My camera exploded!! :( Further inquiries should be sent to Lot 175 in the Athelstane Cemetery in Athelstane, WI. :cool:

Can a Stihl chainsaw cut through six feet of coffin and dirt? :confused: :eek:

Dale T. ;)