PDA

View Full Version : Thompson tool handle

Bill O'Conner
03-15-2009, 3:43 PM
I got my unhandle bowl gouge and was wondering if I epoxy the tool in to the wood handle I'm going to turn this afternoon or if there is a better way to affix it

Thanks
Bill

Jarrod McGehee
03-15-2009, 3:54 PM
I was reading in a Richard Raffan book that he uses epoxy on the handles he turns. good luck

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2009, 6:33 PM
Bill I epoxy mine in. I talked with Raffan at Richmond and that is what he does.

David Christopher
03-15-2009, 6:37 PM
another vote for epoxy

Bill O'Conner
03-15-2009, 7:17 PM
Thanks guys I thought that would be the way to go but figured I'd ask. Like they say the only stupid questions are the ones not asked

Thanks
Bill

Bob Haverstock
03-15-2009, 8:22 PM
Bill,

I have made several turning tools. So far all but one have been epoxied with good results. The one that I have not epoxied the handle to has a receiver to accept various 1/2" tool shanks. I appears that when I wear these tools down to nothing I will have to throw my handmade handles away. That isn't very appealing.

Yesterday, I was at the big box store and boughta 3/8" pipe nipple 6" long. I also bought (2) 3/8" pipe caps. My thought is to drill the pipe out to the size tool shank that I intend to use, then cut it into. I will then cut each half through the threads on centerline index the pipe 90 degress and cut it again. I will drill clearance holes through the caps. The cap and half nipple combination should made a collapsable collet to hold the shank.

I will make a pair of handles to accept the 3/8" pipe and epoxy the half nipple in.

Bob

Mike Stephens
03-15-2009, 8:51 PM
Bill I just made these and epoxied all the tools in the handles. They are working out just great for me.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107375

Kyle Iwamoto
03-16-2009, 1:50 AM
MOST epoxies soften with heat. You may be able to heat the worn tool and soften up the epoxy enough to pull the shaft out of the handle. Of course, use pliers or heat gloves when you yank out the tool remnant. Mild heat should be enough. More than hot water, less than glowing.

Bob Haverstock
03-16-2009, 8:27 AM
Kyle,

Thanks for posting. I had forgotten that heat will soften epoxy.

Bob