PDA

View Full Version : AIr compressor Problems

Quinn McCarthy
03-15-2009, 1:29 PM
I have a sears 6 1/2 hp compressor that I threw a piston rod on. When it shattered it cracked the fan. I am wondering if that is something that can be fixed or is it toast? With the tools I run like the RO sander I am pushing the limit of the compressor. I am also wondering if I may just need to upgrade instead of fixing what happened. The compressorm is about 12 years old.

Thanks

Quinn

William M Johnson
03-15-2009, 2:48 PM
Check Northern Supply for a new compressor section

Ray Newman
03-15-2009, 3:17 PM
Look in your local Yellow Pages for "compressors-air & gas-repair" or "air compressors".

Give those listed a call & explain the problem. They just might have something on hand to fix it, or tell you if it is repairable.

David G Baker
03-15-2009, 4:42 PM
If you are pushing the limit of your busted compressor, it is time to upgrade IMHO. At the very least you will have to replace the broken parts and there may be hidden damage that could show up down the road and cause a similar or worse problem.
If you are running a 6 1/2 HP motor it sounds like you have some real heavy air demand tools. If your motor and tank are fine, check out replacing just the compressor by its self rather than a whole new unit. Grainger has quite a few options for the compressor by its self. Northern Tools as has been mentioned is another option.

Quinn McCarthy
03-15-2009, 7:52 PM
Thanks for all of your advice.

I am located in International Falls mn and I am not near any of these conveniances.

May have to bite the bullet and upgrade.

Thanks

Quinn

David Christopher
03-15-2009, 8:17 PM
If you upgrade now you will never regret it

Steve Leverich
03-16-2009, 8:03 AM
If I'm not mistaken, your sears "6-1/2 horse" motor is really about 1-1/2 horse - I say this because there are several "home-owner" type compressors that are rated ridiculously high to suck people into buying. If your compressor runs on 120 volts, it's not really more than about 1-1/2 horse regardless of the label.

I recently upgraded a 2 horse 20 gallon compressor (Campbell Hausfield, sold at sears 30 years ago) to a REAL 5 horse 80 gallon DevAire industrial - the new one cost $1700, is made of cast iron and has a 5 horse Baldor motor that draws 80 amps to start and 27 amps to run on 240 volt single phase.

I never run out of air now, even when running "thirsty" air grinders, etc.

Just saying, do the math on claimed horsepower if you upgrade... Steve

Marty Paulus
03-16-2009, 8:10 AM
Found this to help those of us who haven't had to do the actual math in more years then we care to remember.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/motor_horsepower.htm

Jude Tuliszewski
03-16-2009, 4:56 PM
If it cracked the fan then I am guessing it is a direct drive unit. If it is, then it is not worth messing with :(. Also since you are at the limit for air as it is, get a new one with more capacity than you think you will need (at least by 25%) from a commercial manufacturer (I have an Eaton) and don't look back :cool:.