PDA

View Full Version : locking casters on heavy assembly table

tom coleman
03-15-2009, 12:57 PM
I am building a heavy duty assembly table which must be mobile. I plan on making the top with 2 layers of MDF topped with 1/4 inch hardboard.

Can someone point me at plans for an assembly that will allow me to easily drop the table off its casters onto its 2 x 4 frame legs when in use. This table will weigh 300 lbs+. I want to be able to easily get it back on its casters for storing against garage wall when not in use.

Second question. I want to edgeband the top with a mitered popular frame. Can I attach the popular with screws into the ends of MDF after gluing or will the MDF ends not hold screws? If not, do I need extra long clamps and rely on glue bonding by itself?

Lastly, I plan on drilling 3/4 inch dog holes every 8 inches. Shopsmith suggests drilling 3/4 inch holes with a spade bit in drill press into scrap 2x4 as a guide. I bought short dogs from Lee Valley at Tampa Woodworking show yesterday. Any comments or suggestions

thanks

Dave Verstraete
03-15-2009, 1:29 PM
Tom
Norm Abram's Shop Table might have the answer to your first question on mounting caster to an assembly table. Go to the New Yankee Woodworker site and do a search for this item.

Work Table and Clamp Cart - Item #0207

Ray Newman
03-15-2009, 5:00 PM
A few years ago, I fabricated New Yankee Work Shop assembly table. I have no idea as to how much weight it would hold, but it is a very stout table.

The only changes that I made were in the overall dimensions to suit my shop needs.

Now, the raise & lower feature might be a bit difficult if the table is heavily loaded as you must lift on the end for the casters to drop down & "lock" in place.

If you can't find anything to suit your needs, you might consider heavy duty casters that lock both wheels & stem. They work & work well.

Tom Clark FL
03-15-2009, 9:40 PM
My 40x80" assembly table is similar to what you are building. It's about three years old and I love it! Top is two layers MDF and 1/4 masonite top. Legs are 3/4" plywood and very solid. Weight is probably around 250 pounds.

Edge banding is simply 1/2 oak plywood glued and nailed in place. Works great and looks good.

For the casters, you might consider leaving them fixed, and making an auxilary leg riser block 1/4" higher than the casters. Then lift one corner at a time with a simple wood pry bar and slip the risers in place. It would only take a minute or two to add and remove.

Scott Schwake
01-11-2010, 7:15 PM
A little late, but here's how I did my retractable casters:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1086495&postcount=21

Larry Frank
01-11-2010, 8:37 PM
I built an assembly table similar to what you are describing. I used 3 inch double locking casters and they have worked very well. If they are locked the table does not move at all but unlocked, the table moves easily. I purchased mine at Woodcraft when they were on sale.

Jim Becker
01-14-2010, 10:00 PM
I happen to love the 4" double-locking casters from Lee Valley...'have them on our mobile kitchen island as well as in use in the shop.

Jim Falsetti
01-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Tom - this might be of interest...http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Chop+Drop+And+Roll.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+woodworkingmagazine+%28Woodwo rking+Magazine%29...

Jim

Matt Stiegler
01-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Dog holes every 8" is further apart than I would do. Depends on how you're planning to use them, though.

Art Mulder
01-15-2010, 10:01 AM
I happen to love the 4" double-locking casters from Lee Valley...'have them on our mobile kitchen island as well as in use in the shop.

I'm also sold on double-locking casters.

I have them under my jointer and under my dw735 planer, and they work great. When they're locked, the unit really doesn't move.

mike wacker
01-16-2010, 10:19 PM
+1 on the double locking casters. I have a couple of sets, one set under my router table and one set under my SCMS stand. Both of these are the 3" size. I got mine from Woodcraft. I have a set of 5" double locking under my assembly table that I picked up cheap at a liquidation wharehouse. they seem to work fine and for 1/4 the price I wish I had bought a ton more.

Rick Garner
01-16-2010, 10:57 PM
A bit off topic from the casters, but have you considered a torsion box top for an assembly table??
MDF can and will sag under certain circumstances, even a double layer (don't ask me how I know that!), but a torsion box will prevent it.
Just a thought!

Philip Rodriquez
01-17-2010, 11:21 PM
check out some leveling casters. I think i got mine from greatlakescasters.com. I love them!