PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt cordless drill problem

Mark Kelly
07-19-2004, 11:47 AM
I have a small dewalt cordless drill that I have used for nearly everything for the past 4 years. Recently, however, The power on it has really dropped. I can put in a battery and it runs fine for a very short time, then the power drops off substantially. Originally, I thought it was due to the batteries finally giving up, but the drill will maintain power (not usable power, mind you) for a very long time.

So could it be the drill itself or are the batteries really going dead? I have two that came with it and they apparently going bad at the same time.

Steven Wilson
07-19-2004, 11:55 AM
I would suspect the battery. Replacements are expensive, try Ebay.

Dave Moran
07-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Mark, I too suspect the batts, look for reconditioned, I found one for a guy here at work that the whole deal, drill 2 batts and charger less than just 2 new batts.

Dave

Perry Schmidt
07-19-2004, 1:58 PM
I had a similar problem...twice. First time it was batteries so it was cheaper to buy a new drill. Used the new batteries and old drill. Over time the old drill did exactly what you were talking about. It seemed like the batteries didn't last long. Frustrated I popped the batteries into the 'new' drill that I never used - and everything worked great. So I agree w/ most - check batteries first. But it could easily be the drill. My drill was about 8 years old and I had used it quite heavily. Simple way to test it is 'borrow' a drill and see how long the batteries last in the new drill.

FYI.

Perry

Richard McComas
07-19-2004, 2:13 PM
Do a goggle search, there are lots of place that sell reconditioned batteries. Hears an example.

http://www.toolking.com/dewalt/view.asp?id=7553

Jamie Buxton
07-19-2004, 4:58 PM
It does seem a little odd that both batteries are dieing at the same time, but maybe it is possible. After all, they were manufactured at the same time, and probably received similar use. When my DeWalt drill showed the same symptoms you have, I got the battery packs rebuilt at http://primecell.com/, at a price substantially lower than DeWalt charges. It now works like it was brand-new.

Tony Falotico
07-19-2004, 6:33 PM
Mark, like Jamie suggested, send 'em off to Primecell for a rebuild. You won't be sorry, they come back better than new.

Lynn Sonier
07-19-2004, 6:42 PM
If you open the battery pack and find the individual cells are sub-c, you can find them at Radio Shack for about $6 for two. I rejuvenated my PC battery pack about a year ago and its still going strong. I think I had to replace 3 batteries.

Hal Flynt
07-19-2004, 7:33 PM
DeWalt Battery packs contain a number of 1.5v Nicads to add up to the total voltage of the Pack. Some places like Batteries Unlimited will rebuild your pack for a lot less than the retail. My 12 volt had 2 bad cells that would no longer take a charge which meant 9 volts.

I was lucky enough to have a recalled charger and when I called them I got a new charger and 2 new batteries.

It's often cheaper to buy a new tool than the batteries.

Jamie Buxton
07-19-2004, 7:35 PM
If you open the battery pack and find the individual cells are sub-c, you can find them at Radio Shack for about $6 for two. I rejuvenated my PC battery pack about a year ago and its still going strong. I think I had to replace 3 batteries.

Being a complete DIY guy, I started out to do that, but couldn't figure out how to open the DeWalt battery packs. As best I could figure they'd been glued together, and I'd have to destroy them to get them apart. However, Primecell must have opened the packs. I just haven't figured out how they did it.

Greg Mann
07-19-2004, 9:28 PM
Batteries Unlimited is a good place to check out. It may vary with franchise but I had a waterproof VHF radio with bad cells. They replaced the cells which included separating a waterproof compartment and re-sealing it. $21 saved a $150 radio. It has easily twice the battery life as when first bought. My guess is they a very familiar with cordless drill batteries. They may even be able to test them for capacity. Not sure, but a good place to start.

Greg

Joe Scarfo
07-19-2004, 10:01 PM
Jamie,

How did you get the battery apart, and then re sealed?

Tks
Joe in Tampa....

Greg Mann
07-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Jamie,

Tks
Joe in Tampa....
They did it. Carefully split the seam with a knife and then epoxied it back together after testing the new cells. When I went to pick it up it was still clamped together with a couple small Besseys.:)
I would have paid twice what they charged me because the radio would have been useless without the fix.

Greg

Greg Mann
07-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Jamie,

Tks
Joe in Tampa....
Sorry, Joe. I thought your qusetion was for me. Oh well, now you know more than you wanted.:)

Greg

Jamie Buxton
07-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Jamie,

Tks
Joe in Tampa....

Joe, that's exactly my point. I couldn't figure out how to open the DeWalt case. I couldn't find any screws, and it looked like it had been glued together. I decided it was worth paying somebody else for their knowledge. Sure enough, Primecell rebuilt the battery packs, and I still don't know how they did it.

Jamie

Mark Kelly
07-20-2004, 5:21 PM
Ok, thanks everyone for the posts. I think that is the route I will take...finding a comapny to rebuild the battery.