PDA

View Full Version : So why is it that LV get higher vote over Fuller?

David Song
03-15-2009, 10:43 AM
When I was shopping for a nice set of brad point, I was directed to Fuller. I found this(link below) on line and see that Fuller gets slight better rating. However I see more people choose Lee Valley and don't understand why. Is it simply because Lee Vally is longer? If so, how often do YOU need to sharpen your brad point bits?

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive00/2_19bobdrillbits.html

Bill Huber
03-15-2009, 12:34 PM
I really thing that Bob Mastrodonato summed it up in the last part of the review.

"In conclusion, the W.L. Fuller bits performed marginally better with cleaner cuts, better chip removal and they did not get as hot. But you get more bit for your money with the Lee Valley bits because of the length and shank width. This means longer life since you can have them sharpened more times before there is no bit left to sharpen and they are less likely to bend at the shank."

I think the key word is marginally better...

Alan Schaffter
03-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Interesting.

Frankly the best set of brad point bits I ever had I got from Shopsmith about 25 years ago! They did a great job drilling and leaving crisp hole entries, but one of the best features was the shank- they all had extra long, 3/8" diameter shanks. Even bits smaller than 3/8" had 3/8" shanks which made changing bits really quick and easy, requiring minimal chuck adjustment. Unfortunately, when I unloaded the Shopsmith many years ago, the bits went with it. I really missed the quality and convenience so last year I ordered another set. Unfortunately, the current bits are not the same. They are not as long, not as well made (made in China), and do not all have the same size shank! On top of that, one bit was mis-marked.

Brian Kent
03-15-2009, 3:22 PM
David,

If I had seen this post one day earlier I might have gone with Fuller, especially since they have a sale at one of my favorite suppliers - Craftsman Studio.

I'm the one that posted the thread "Best Drill Bits - Advice Please" on March 8. I have been studying for a week and finally went with the Brad Point test in Fine Woodworking and several others who personally recommended Lee Valley.

I did see the comparison of Lee Valley and Fuller you are referring to, but forgot about it by the time I made my choice at the end of the week.

In my thread I notice in your post that you use "Porters" drill bits. I couldn't find them. Did you mean "Fuller's"?

After re-reading the article I'll try a Fuller Brad Point sometime when i need to buy an odd size, so I can compare directly.

Thank you for reminding us about that test and about Fuller bits. I am curious why Fine Woodworking did not include them in their test (I think - I don't remember seeing them).

Brian

David Song
03-15-2009, 7:41 PM
I am sorry about getting the name wrong on your thread. Yes, I meant Fuller and not porter. I got my several Fuller bits, but never really put them through a hard test.

I think the Fullers were excluded because they would obviously win without a quetions making the review less than fun:D hehe

David,

If I had seen this post one day earlier I might have gone with Fuller, especially since they have a sale at one of my favorite suppliers - Craftsman Studio.

I'm the one that posted the thread "Best Drill Bits - Advice Please" on March 8. I have been studying for a week and finally went with the Brad Point test in Fine Woodworking and several others who personally recommended Lee Valley.

I did see the comparison of Lee Valley and Fuller you are referring to, but forgot about it by the time I made my choice at the end of the week.

In my thread I notice in your post that you use "Porters" drill bits. I couldn't find them. Did you mean "Fuller's"?

After re-reading the article I'll try a Fuller Brad Point sometime when i need to buy an odd size, so I can compare directly.

Thank you for reminding us about that test and about Fuller bits. I am curious why Fine Woodworking did not include them in their test (I think - I don't remember seeing them).

Brian

Brian Kent
03-15-2009, 8:02 PM
David, before my recent purchase I teetered in the range between the cheapest Harbor Freight had to offer and the cheapest Home Depot had to offer, so hopefully either Lee Valley HSS or Fuller will be a treat.

Now I probably have to do something about my drill press that cost me $39 (you guessed it, from Harbor Freight!):rolleyes:

Brian

David Song
03-15-2009, 8:05 PM
David, before my recent purchase I teetered in the range between the cheapest Harbor Freight had to offer and the cheapest Home Depot had to offer, so hopefully either Lee Valley HSS or Fuller will be a treat.

Now I probably have to do something about my drill press that cost me $39 (you guessed it, from Harbor Freight!):rolleyes:

Brian

You know Brian, I don't even have a drill press...set up that is. I bought me a Steel City Drill press last fall and never got around to putting it together. However I am seriously going to put it together sometime this month.

You already got a drill press but Steel city got great review and it's on special.

Dave Lehnert
03-15-2009, 8:39 PM
My guess most go with Lee Valley because they want to support a company with great customer service and has treated them right in the past.

Brian Kent
03-15-2009, 11:11 PM
You already got a drill press but Steel city got great review and it's on special.

I have a temporary drill press. If I keep it, it will become a buffer station. I would love either a big old refurb or a nice new Steel City!

Jim McFarland
03-15-2009, 11:17 PM
My guess most go with Lee Valley because they want to support a company with great customer service and has treated them right in the past.

Exactly! Although Craftsman Studios is also one of my favorite vendors.

glenn bradley
03-15-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm sure the Fuller bits are fine; they have been making very fine cutters for quite awhile now. I don't know what improvements either manufacturer might have made in the last 10 years since that review, possibly none. I can say the LV now come in a metal index box (at least that's the way my set came) and the Fuller sets I've seen (at Rockler IIRC) are in wooden boxes. This means that at least both manufacturer's have decided to give their bits a better home, eh? If you are sold on the Fullers, I would get those.

Joe Jensen
03-16-2009, 1:23 PM
Just did a quick search and the fuller website has some intersting information on bits for hardwood versus soft wood. I didn't know, but it makes sense.

http://www.wlfuller.com/html/brad_point_drills.html

David Song
03-16-2009, 1:37 PM
Just did a quick search and the fuller website has some intersting information on bits for hardwood versus soft wood. I didn't know, but it makes sense.

http://www.wlfuller.com/html/brad_point_drills.html

Yeah I saw that too awhile back. I got my set from Japanese woodworker and It was the ones that cut hardwoods. I think most vendors carry ones for the hardwood if my memory serves me correct.