PDA

View Full Version : Buying a winter coat.

Dave Lehnert
03-15-2009, 10:12 AM
I know winter is about over but will be needing a winter coat for Cincinnati weather. I have many coats for spring / fall . I also have heavy work type jackets. Something to wear casual dress or the like. What brands do you like?

Eddie Watkins
03-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I have a couple of Land's End coats that are nice. They are online. I have one winter coat that is great and is a casual coat. It is a very warm coat for our weather.

Greg Cuetara
03-15-2009, 9:30 PM
I'll make the plug for LLBean. Go to their website and see what they have. I thought they had some 3 season coats which have a few layers you can either add or subtract depending on how cold it is.

Brian Elfert
03-16-2009, 10:04 AM
I think the best option for buying a winter coat is just to go to some department stores like JC Penny or Kohl's and see what they have. Unless you go high end like Macy's there are not too many brand names in winter coats. Most of the stores tend to have their own brands in coats and the lineup of coats will likely be completely different next fall.

My heavy winter jacket is from REI, but it is a parka type of coat and not something nice to wear to social events and the like. Here in Minnesota a lot of people will wear heavy parka type jackets to social events when it is really cold and nobody really notices.

Dan Mages
03-16-2009, 1:58 PM
I have an LLBean parka that is 8 years old and is still as comfortable as the first day I bought it. It has some wear, but its no where near falling apart.

Dan

Rick Moyer
03-16-2009, 2:15 PM
I'll add to the LL Bean list of fans. As a matter of fact, I am considering making them my go-to for any wardrobe items. I recently took stock of what clothing items I have that I really like and found that most of them were LL Bean. The things I have from them are boots, bathrobe, leather jacket, rain coat, and several shirts. I love them all!

Not sure if you were looking for brand or style though. I will only recommend on brand.

David G Baker
03-16-2009, 2:18 PM
I second the REI coats, not formal wear but durable and very functional.

Matt Sollars
03-16-2009, 2:35 PM
Depending on what you want to spend.....

I wholeheartedly recommend Arcteryx. If there is ever an issue, call them up and every person i've ever talked to said that the new one was there before they even sent back the other. Great company, fantastic products.....but pricey.

matt

Brent Smith
03-16-2009, 3:49 PM
Hi Dave,

There's really only one maker of winter coats, jackets and such: http://www.kanuk.com/ang/index.html
You just won't find anything warmer or a better customer service desk (in clothing anyway).

Dave Lehnert
03-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the info.

Pat Germain
03-17-2009, 10:34 PM
I have a Columbia ski jacket that's pretty amazing. It has a lined, fleece inner jacket with a waterproof shell over it. The fleece jacket and shell can be unzipped and worn separately. I've worn it while skiing literally directly on the Continental Divide when the temp was hovering around zero. I was out there all day and I was plenty warm. Unlike a parka, a Columbia ski jacket can be worn comfortably in moderately cold or sub-zero temps.

In Colorado, you can pick up very nice Columbia coats and jackets on sale this time of year. Maybe you can find some in your area. I got mine at a sporting goods store, but I've seen them at Kohl's.

Jim Becker
03-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Duluth Trading and Lands End

Scott Vigder
03-21-2009, 5:46 PM
Orvis has a heck of a deal on a leather sportcoat-type jacket, half-price. They have a few other nice sale items that are not leather.

I've been pleased with Mill Valley Leather...mostly shearling jackets and coats at great prices.

This is the third year in a row I have bought a winter coat in Mar-April. The prices are unbeatable! As a Northeast Ohioan, you can't have too many winter coats!

Doug Shepard
03-21-2009, 6:57 PM
I've been pleased with Mill Valley Leather...mostly shearling jackets and coats at great prices.

Hated the first Mill Valley coat I bought last winter and returned it w/o any hassles. Absolutely love the replacement one I ordered from them and it's gone thru 2 winters so far looking pretty much like new. I also ordered some gloves from them that had the seams disintegrate within about 1-1/2 weeks of casual wear. They replaced them but it took a couple of phone calls before it happened, The replacements have held up so far.

My brother got me a Fleece lined Carhardt for Christmas that's less dressy but easily as warm as my nicer MV one and gets used more for walking the gog, outside chores, etc while the MV is what I wear when I want to look purty.

Brent Leonard
03-22-2009, 12:08 AM
In no particular order,

for casual and weekend wear out and about:
Cabelas
LL Bean
Woolrich (excellent quality, perhaps the best IMO, and occasionally at big discounts)
Bass ProShops

Outdoor/Sport type Parkas:
Cabelas
REI
EMS (are they still in buisness?)
Bass ProShops
LL Bean

Buisness:
Men Wharehouse
Macys, Etc...
Burlington Coat Factory (sometimes)

Denver at one time had a REAL factory store for Woolrich. It was in an industrail wharehouse complex and had awesome deals. Few people actually knew about it. At some point it started becoming well known, prices started to creep up. Eventually, they opened one up at the big outlet store malls and the really awesome prices were gone forever.
Woolrich quality cannot be beat.

Matt Meiser
03-22-2009, 12:23 AM
I got a nice down winter coat at Cabelas for something like 1/2 off shortly after Christmas 2007 that I really like. I suspect they are down to pretty slim pickings on winter stuff now.

Christopher Stahl
03-22-2009, 11:49 AM
I love my Helly Hansen clothing. They make some serious outdoor gear and everything is durable and they'll have something that fits your needs. For some reason I always buy knew jackets and winter gear, it's like an addiction. If you'll be working outside, then look into the base layers.