PDA

View Full Version : Dewey's first bowl

Dewey Torres
03-15-2009, 5:55 AM
Well... albeit a small bowl: 3 1/2" x 3"

I am very happy about the little gem as I learned lots and got to utilize two gifts from the creek:

First turning with no catches!!!!:)

Gifted wood and a gifted tool...discounting the lathe of course:D

Dried red cedar...from my home state (Florida) and ebony/ca inlay.
The cedar was a challenge BC it was shipped here from a very different climate. I had much larger blanks which would have produced much larger bowls but working around all of the cracks during the climate change made the usable blanks a bit smaller. (I patched them with thin CA so I hope it works! It really doesn't bother me much I am just glad I was still able to use it. I may have a project or 2 coming off the lathe with this cedar for a while so bear with me (the oncoming cedar kick)

Thanks a million to the person who sent me the Sorby muti-tip tool! That baby is a dream to use:D:D

As a newbie comments on form and photos are welcome.

PS. What do you guys use to sign your turnings? Wood burner, sharpy, others????:confused:

Thomas Canfield
03-15-2009, 7:45 AM
Exceptional #1 and finish looks great. Do sign and number it. A Dremel engraving tool and archival ink pens are other options for signing.

curtis rosche
03-15-2009, 8:24 AM
what is the black rings? just burnt? they look really good

Gerold Griffin
03-15-2009, 8:46 AM
You Nailed It!!! Great job! Really love the shape and as already stated the finish is outstanding.

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2009, 9:40 AM
Very nice work Dewey! Interesting form, good looking wood and a great finish! That's pretty impressive for a first bowl! I like the inlay - the black sure brings out the rich red cedar color! Nice touch!

For signing my work I use an archival ink pen - found at almost all art/craft supply places.

Photos look pretty good also but may be just a touch over exposed (to light). Also, by not cropping quite as tight you would provide a little more area for shadows to help give things a 3-D effect. Keep at it - photos are the most challenging thing about turning!

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Brian Effinger
03-15-2009, 10:21 AM
That turned out really well. I like the ebony inlay, especially the thin bottom one. As I was looking at the photos, I was thinking that it reminds me more of a box, than a bowl, so maybe a lid with a finial would compliment your turning. Just a thought. :)

Toney Robertson
03-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Very nice Dewey. I like the form. That is quite an ambitious project for your first and you really excelled.

Now that #1 is out of the way kiss your free time goodbye because all you will want to do is #2, 3, 4.....

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Great looking bowl Dewey. Make sure you sign, date and put #1 on it. Keep it so down the road a year or two you can compare. I like the ebony inlay. Well done. By the way cedar can be a challenge no matter where it is from.

Don Carter
03-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Congratulations Dewey! That looks great! Your attention to detail really shows in this first attempt. You are on your way!

All the best.

Don

Ken Glass
03-15-2009, 1:58 PM
Dewey,
Great work for your first or fifth. Way to challenge yourself with the inlay. As Steve says picture taking is a challenge all in of its self. Yours are better than most first attempts.

Eugene Wigley
03-15-2009, 3:39 PM
Great first bowl!! What a challenge with the inlay. I wish I could do that.

Jarrod McGehee
03-15-2009, 4:01 PM
:eek: What a great job for your first bowl Dewey! I'll be there soon and I got some wood coming from a few other creekers :D:D so I'll be turning that soon too! but great job and that inlay is really nice! great job buddy

...And Mr. Shlumpf (excuse me if I misspelled) maybe there should be a forum section for just photography. I'll be getting some lessons from my aunt when she comes back from Kuwait for vacation (she's a pro). so after that I can relay some info to all you guys.

David Christopher
03-15-2009, 5:22 PM
Great job Dewey, that dont look a first bowl to me. I think youve been holding back, not telling that you are really a professional......

Dewey Torres
03-15-2009, 5:27 PM
Thanks for the comments all:

Please see my poll... here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107354