PDA

View Full Version : Edge Sander problem..

Rick Fisher
03-15-2009, 1:41 AM
I am thinking that I am missing something obvious.

I have the Steel City Edge Sander. I was using it today on some tapered legs and the head just fell off to 45 degrees.
It was a bit scary.. but no harm done..

Now, I cannot lock it at 90 degrees again.

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1140017.jpg

I have plenty of hours on this machine in the past year. The head lock..

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1140018.jpg

Has been challenging since the beginning.. I am starting to think its just faulty.. ??

Anyhow.. I emailed Steel City.. They have awesome service, so I am confident that by monday I will be speaking to someone who knows ..

I would like to finish these legs..

It appears that the bolt that hold the handle tight....

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1140019.jpg

isnt holding.. I can tighten it a bit, but when I lock the handle.. it goes loose..

This is such a common machine.. I think every manufacturer has sold it and there are likely over 100 guys on this site with one.. Anyone had this problem??

I am hoping its something simple and I can fix it and get back to sanding tomorrow???

Bill Huber
03-15-2009, 10:32 AM
I have never seen on of those but I did look at your images and the manual.

I would say off hand that the lock bolt or the nut is stripped, from what I can see there just is not a lot to the locking system.

I think I would just take the locking lever off and see what is going on.

george wilson
03-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Looks like there needs to be an extra washer under that handle,or,can you tighten anything on the opposite end of the rod that the tightening handle is not pulling tight? Any way to take the handle off,and add a washer? You're not going to want to have to pack the machine up and send it back. I guess they'll advise you how to fix it. Probably something simple.

Steve Clardy
03-15-2009, 10:50 AM
I have the Jet version.
There is 2 flat washers behind the lock lever.

CPeter James
03-15-2009, 1:33 PM
I have the Jet version, too. You are aware the the handle only goes in one direction. Mine had been "modified" (a kind way to put it) when I got it. I did find that the adjustment has to bee just about right or either it won't hold or you can't get the handle to toggle over. You do know that the handle has to toggle over?

This is a pretty simple set up so if it is not working, something is not adjusted or operating correctly.

CPeter

george wilson
03-15-2009, 2:36 PM
Yes,I didn't think of that. You have to bend the handle at about a 45 Degree angle,so it toggles tight. If still no good,see my above post.

Rick Fisher
03-15-2009, 3:31 PM
If I take a wrench and tighten the lock nut, it only takes about 1/4 turn. As soon as I toggle the handle. The nut pop's loose again. So either the nut or the bolt must be stripped.

Its not like these parts get a lot of use.. I only ever sand at 90 degrees.. So I assume they where cross threaded when installed?

I will take it apart this afternoon.

george wilson
03-15-2009, 3:47 PM
With the crappy steel they make bolts out of,it is possible the threads have stripped.Leaded steel is used as it machines well. Or,the hole they thread into may have been too large,and did not take enough thread. Usually,a 75% thread is what is aimed at when tapping a hole. You can't easily get 100% without breaking the tap. Look in the threaded holes to see if there is a decent thread in them,without excessively flat crests on them,which would indicate shallow threads.Shallow threads in the hole could strip the tops off of the male threads.

CPeter James
03-15-2009, 8:58 PM
The thread fit on some of these Chinese machines leaves a lot to be desired. I have a Mortising machine that I had to drill out and re-tap many of the holes and use SAE bolts. My jet is mad in Tiawan and uses a flanged nut that needs a spanner to tighten. I think you are on the right track with the stripped nut.

CPeter

Rick Fisher
03-16-2009, 2:42 AM
Well.. took it apart and the bolt is stripped. Makes no sense. This is a one time application.

Its a custom part, bolt with a handle on the end..

Sigh..

Anyone remember how to sand tapered legs without an edge sander .. ;)

Im sure there is a way..

Cant believe how many times I have turned to use this machine.. Dont notice it until its broken..

Bill Huber
03-16-2009, 9:07 AM
Well.. took it apart and the bolt is stripped. Makes no sense. This is a one time application.

Its a custom part, bolt with a handle on the end..

Sigh..

Anyone remember how to sand tapered legs without an edge sander .. ;)

Im sure there is a way..

Cant believe how many times I have turned to use this machine.. Dont notice it until its broken..

From looking at the parts list it looks like you could just make a replacement for it. Get a bolt the right size, cut the head off and grind a flat on both sides and drill a small hole for the pin.

I think you could also just put an normal bolt in until you get the part ordered. You would have to use a wrench to tighten it up but it would get you going again.

Rick Fisher
03-16-2009, 9:32 PM
Great idea Bill. I am going to do that tonight.

On another note, I called Steel City today. Told them of the problem. The fella I talked to was awesome. His name is Mike Box. I say this because the owners last name is also Box.

Anyhow, He quickly figured out which part, got my address and said the part is on the way. (I had told him I would swap it myself).

I got a really good feeling. This guy really seemed to care.

Bill Huber
03-16-2009, 9:35 PM
Great idea Bill. I am going to do that tonight.

On another note, I called Steel City today. Told them of the problem. The fella I talked to was awesome. His name is Mike Box. I say this because the owners last name is also Box.

Anyhow, He quickly figured out which part, got my address and said the part is on the way. (I had told him I would swap it myself).

I got a really good feeling. This guy really seemed to care.

Don't you just love it when you get what you paid for....

I have heard nothing but good about Steel City and their service.

Rick Fisher
03-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Don't you just love it when you get what you paid for....

I have heard nothing but good about Steel City and their service.

I have regrets after buying this machine. Not because its a bad machine but because I had no idea how important it was to me.

When I bought it, it was to sand tapered legs. Which it does well. I found myself using it for loads more. Its a commonly used tool.

I had no idea it would become such a valued machine. Had I known, I would have gotten a higher end unit.

Its basically the same as the Jet, General model but has a bigger motor. For the money, its a good deal.

Now, Felder has a nice edge sander...