PDA

View Full Version : "Cheap" A/V Rack - Pic Alert!

Russ Filtz
07-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Lots of pics, sorry!

Decided awhile back to make an A/V rack for all my stuff to get it off the TV, etc. Found a design on the web (lost the link long ago!) about making a very cheap adjustable rack out of MDF and threaded rod. Also decided to make it nicer with solid cherry top and adge banding and laminate. Hardware is also polished stainless instead of steel (another cheap, yet decent way is to go galvanized). Got the hardware (3/4" rod, large washers, nuts, acorn nuts) at a marine supply house (Jamestowndistributors.com), they've got a good assortment of odd connectors/screws in different metals which can come in handy for outdoor work.

Anyway, piece went togethor OK. Had a major setback when I had planned for the cherry edgebanding to have slip or saddle joints (forget the term for an open mortise/tenon). Ended up cutting the open mortise too wide on all pieces, got disgusted and set it all aside for months! Decided to just cut off the ends and put corner blocks in. Looks OK I guess. Finish is homemade Tung/spirits/poly, with some poly build at the end. Didn't rub it fully out, just wet sanded with polish and 600 grit.

Russ Filtz
07-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Forgot to mention I went with the 3-legged design as it was supposed to be easier to level out. Looks a little weird and think I would go 4-legs next time. Saved a bit on the expensive hardware though!

Dan Mages
07-19-2004, 11:43 AM
I like it!! Sometimes the quick, cheap and easy route is the best way to go.

Dan

Russ Filtz
07-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Actually my way wasn't the cheap route :( I probably ended up spending $250-$300 on the thing. The marine hardware alone was $120 :eek: Didn't think the wife would let bare MDF and rusty steel hardware in the family room though.

Just a note, the angle of the pics looks like it's setting on the bottom shelf. Actually it's a few inches off the carpet with another set of acorn nuts as the base.

Jason Tuinstra
07-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Russ, nice job. I've built a couple of these over the years. They're pretty simple to put together and have a nice look. I don't think I spent near that much for the ones I built, but yours is a bit more refined than mine. Way to go.

JayStPeter
07-19-2004, 12:36 PM
One of the nicer implementations of a flexi that I've seen.

Russ Filtz
07-19-2004, 1:58 PM
That's the name, Flexi! Even forgot that! I remember one was really nice where it was built out of Lexan.

Charles McKinley
07-20-2004, 4:41 PM
Hi Russ,

That is a very nice unit.

Stainless Steel threads can gall when you are putting nuts on. To prevent this put regular tooth paste on the bolt before you run the nuts on. Be sure to clean the tooth paste off before it dries or it is a real PITA. The last thing you want when putting those expensive nuts and all thread togeather is for them to sieze and be stuck there forever.

Russ Filtz
07-20-2004, 4:55 PM
The stuf I got must have been machined well. Once I got them started, they spun down easily! It's not often you get to put togethor furniture with a big monkey wrench!