PDA

View Full Version : Ungliding glider (swing!)

John Murphy
03-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Finally finished the cedar glider that I first brought up on the pond (yes, I'm very slow)! The plans are out of an old Woodsmith magazine. It has wooden swing supports and two runners that keep it lined up straight. The problem is that it doesn't swing very smoothly. It catches and rubs on the runner guides. Each guide has clearance (maybe 1/16th of an inch) on each side. I did notice that the front right swing support seems a little long, maybe 1/16". I know this is an old plan, but has anyone dealt with this. I know gliders aren't that popular anymore, but a friend specifically wanted one??? Thanks for any help!

Murph

Lee Schierer
03-18-2003, 11:01 AM
I have no experience building a glider, but my in laws did own one. I know that the frame on it was not particularly rigid. If you got the base setting on an uneven surface, it didn't glide very well. If you shimmed it up or got it on a level surface, it would work much better.

Don't know if this will help you or not.

Paul D. May
03-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Built this one a while ago from WOOD mag plan...whaddya mean they ain't popular? :confused:

Paul

John Murphy
03-18-2003, 9:16 PM
Lee and Paul! I checked on the uneven support. That helped some. Now I'm gonna dig through my wood magazines and check out the plan on that glider. I showed my friend/customer a pic of the glider today and she loves it. Now if it just worked!!!

Later,
Murph