PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Baron pens

Steve Cook
03-14-2009, 9:22 PM
Here are two pens done using the Baron pen kit.

The first one is a mother of pearl blank which was EXTREMELY delicate, and you had to be sure not to cut through the coating our you would destroy the blank. The pictures really don't do the shine and pearlescent look justice.

The second one is a flag pen, I'm sure most are familiar with this kit. After assembly and drying I sanded the blank smooth before any turning tools touched the surface. Those stars were small, and the wood delicate so I was concerned about knocking them out during initial truing with a skew.

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2009, 9:29 PM
Those are great looking pens Steve. I like the mother of pearl.

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Steve - Welcome to the Creek! Very nice work on both of your pens! I have seen a couple of the flag pens before and can not imagine working with parts that small! Really like the mother of pearl pen - very different! Bet that is a beauty in the sun! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing more!

Steve Cook
03-16-2009, 6:34 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

The mother of pearl pen is a real jem when the sun hits it, I no sooner got it done and the wife said mine!

Steve your right on about working with the small parts of the flag pen, had to pick up the stars with a sharp tipped xacto knife. Weeding the stars out of the carrier from which they were laser cut was also a bit challenging. All in all a very fun project.

Billy Tallant
03-17-2009, 2:36 AM
Great looking pens! I cannot even imagine trying to work with those tiny stars. Great job..