PDA

View Full Version : Today's turnings- Stick pens, et cetera.

Ben Gastfriend
03-14-2009, 8:19 PM
Today consisted of supervising my brother making two pens, and making these pens myself. I bought a 1.99 pack of Write Bros. ballpoint pens, and used these as the inserts in woodturned pens. I read a tutorial somewhere online. Others are just basic slimlines.

(Third picture shows the type of pen used for the stick pens in first picture.)

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2009, 8:25 PM
Good looking pens Ben! Nice variety! Keep up the good work!

paul wiser
03-14-2009, 9:31 PM
nice stick pens. in the second picture, are these regular slimline pens done w/o ctr band?? thnaks

Maylon Harvey
03-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Ben,
Sure have been admiring your latest works. But I think they would show better if you would loose the red back ground in your pics. Just my opinion so don't be offended. I'm sure not any kind of a photographer as you can see by my own pics and since no one else has brought it up I may be all wet.

Richard Madison
03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Nice pens Ben. Cool idea, using the stick pen inserts. I appreciate that economical approach.

michael gallagher
03-14-2009, 11:21 PM
very creative!

alex carey
03-15-2009, 4:15 AM
Nice looking pens. I have never seen ball point pens made like that. Very cool idea, I'll have to try that.

Alex

Ben Gastfriend
03-15-2009, 9:44 AM
Ben,
Sure have been admiring your latest works. But I think they would show better if you would loose the red back ground in your pics. Just my opinion so don't be offended. I'm sure not any kind of a photographer as you can see by my own pics and since no one else has brought it up I may be all wet.

I think you're right, actually. I'm still working on finding a scaled gray to white background (Steve, where'd you get yours?) for the pictures, and then I will have to make a metal stand for the pens, because what I do now is rest them on a piece of cotton below the fabric to get them to not roll around.

Ben Gastfriend
03-15-2009, 9:46 AM
Nice looking pens. I have never seen ball point pens made like that. Very cool idea, I'll have to try that.

Alex

Here's the article I used.
http://www.kurthertzog.com/articles/stickpen/stickpen.htm

Ben Gastfriend
03-15-2009, 9:47 AM
nice stick pens. in the second picture, are these regular slimline pens done w/o ctr band?? thnaks

Yes, the center pen in the second picture is a slimline with the top barrel turned bigger, without the band. That's why it's shorter than the other two.

Paul Douglass
03-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I've never seen the stick pens before. Pretty neat idea. Need to figure a way to turn caps for them.

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Great looking pens Ben. Quite creative.

David Christopher
03-15-2009, 6:35 PM
cool looking pens, I like the different approch

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2009, 6:50 PM
Ben - I use a photo tent and a graduated background. Here is the site - I use #39.

http://www.phototechinc.com/graduate.htm

curtis rosche
03-16-2009, 9:34 AM
nice lookin pens, i like the first set best