PDA

View Full Version : pulling a skeleton out of the closet.....

curtis rosche
03-14-2009, 8:08 PM
......or at least out from under the bench anyways.
as many of you may remember, i had a rather large solid chunk of maple crotch/burl/spaulted thing, come off the lathe and hit me in the face. got really lucky with how it happened that it didnt hurt me more than it did. it has sat under my lathe since then. well i pulled it out yesterday and started to return the peice. i made sure it wouldnt come off of the face plate with 8, 3 3/4inch screws. that was just to make a foot for the chuck. then once i had re rounded it and make the foot, i chucked it up, and i made sure that this S.O.B. wont ever come off till i tell it to. i epoxied the beast to the chuck. this this is stayin where i put it, its growlin at me tryin to get me but it cant. ha ha ha ha.

this peice looks sooooooooo cool, its got riples, knots, bark inclusions, burl, spaulting, and a few other things, it is an amazing peice. after seeing the peice now, i am glad that it hit me last year. if it hadnt i wouldnt have done as good of a job on the peice and it wouldnt have looked as nice.

Matt Hutchinson
03-14-2009, 8:11 PM
Glad to hear that it ain't going anywhere this time. :) Sounds like a really cool piece, and I can't wait to see it!

Hutch

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2009, 8:20 PM
Be safe Curtis! Looking forward to seeing the end result!

curtis rosche
03-14-2009, 8:22 PM
it is the hardest peice i have turned yet though, it is endgrain oriented. it is fun, especial cause i know that no matter what i do the epoxy will hold it to the chuck

Ben Gastfriend
03-14-2009, 8:22 PM
Oh, I must have missed that episode while I was on my SMC hiatus!
Looking forward to seeing the finished product. No more accidents!:D

curtis rosche
03-14-2009, 8:30 PM
here is a picture of the peice, you were still around when it happened Ben, you were one of the many who yelled at me for not wearing a face sheild.

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2009, 9:27 PM
Can't wait to see the finished piece Curtis. Are you still wearing your face shield????:D:rolleyes::cool:;)

curtis rosche
03-15-2009, 8:22 AM
sorry, i know i told you guys i was, but i dont own one yet. but seriously that next on the list as soon as i finish my hollow form tools. but for now i have settled with being able to stand completley out of the way. that peice of poplar was a memory lapse. i will get one soon

Ben Gastfriend
03-15-2009, 9:55 AM
here is a picture of the peice, you were still around when it happened Ben, you were one of the many who yelled at me for not wearing a face sheild.

Oh, wow, that was a while ago!