PDA

View Full Version : Un-expected phone call

Perry Holbrook
03-14-2009, 6:26 PM
So I'm working in the shop this afternoon after traveling the last 2 weeks and the phone rings. When I answer, the voice says, "this is ---- ------ from the US Department of State, can I speak to Perry".

That will get your attention.

After I catch my breathe, he says he is looking for hand made American crafts, that can be used for gifts for visiting VIP's from other countries. Because it sounded like a scam, I almost hung up on him. But it turns out he had seen some of my little boxes that are sold in the gift shop of the Smithsonian's Renwick Gallery in DC and wanted to see images of other work that I do. We'll see what happens.

You just never know who might be on the phone!

Perry

Jim Becker
03-14-2009, 6:30 PM
Very kewel, Perry! Your work is outstanding and a nice portion of it is perfect for "packable" gifts. I hope you get some nice orders from these folks!

Ron Jones near Indy
03-14-2009, 6:34 PM
Perry,
That's definitely not your run of the mill phone call. What a tribute to your work!

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2009, 6:43 PM
Wow - that is really cool! Congrats - I hope your sales suddenly increase!

Phil Thien
03-14-2009, 7:24 PM
Your work is awesome. Someone at the State Dept. has good taste. Two thumbs up! :D

John Fricke
03-14-2009, 7:30 PM
Your turnings would certainly make a more thoughtful gift than a 25 pack of old DVD's

Mitchell Andrus
03-14-2009, 7:42 PM
You just never know who might be on the phone!

Perry

True enough. A few years ago, I had a great conversation with Diane Keaton who called to order a few things for her new home. Her zip... 90210 of course.

I'm just half way through an order for Disney - 51 inlaid wall mirrors for a hotel renovation.

So, Perry. Say hello to Mrs. Clinton for us!!!!

Gary Max
03-14-2009, 7:50 PM
Perry --we ain't one bit surprized----you do make some real nice stuff.

Perry Holbrook
03-14-2009, 8:03 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

There must be something about this time of year for me. Last year, about this time, I got a call from a local charity about designing a special box honoring a very special internationally respected man. The design/production planning/ marketing plan is still on going. If it goes thru, it's about a years worth of business. I was working on the first very small trial production run of those boxes when I got the phone call today.

Perry

Lee Schierer
03-15-2009, 8:22 AM
When the British Prime Minister visited, he gave President Obama a hand made pen from wood from the sister ship to the resolute to go with the Resolute desk in the oval office. As the report goes, our President didn't have anything nice to give as a return gift. I would suspect that might be the driving force behind your phone call.

Belinda Barfield
03-15-2009, 8:33 AM
Your turnings would certainly make a more thoughtful gift than a 25 pack of old DVD's

John beat me to it.

Congrats Perry! Good call (no pun intended) on picking up the phone, and staying on the line.

Dave Verstraete
03-15-2009, 9:54 AM
Congrats Perry

It's times like those where you can step back and really smell the roses. Enjoy the Glow

Darius Ferlas
03-15-2009, 10:25 AM
The only time the government sent someone to me was to confiscate anticommunist flyers and to have a "chat" with me.

Congratulations, on your achievement. That is really awesome and goes to show that there are so many treasures being made here and now.

Neal Clayton
03-15-2009, 1:06 PM
this goes along with the thread i started about detroit's downfall and the beatiful old buildings that are abandoned...

at one time the things we built were intended to display the skill of our craftsmen to the world. engineering and artistic and national pride all rolled into one, that kinda thing. if someone working for the government now is picking up on that idea again, good for them. they should be commended for it. seems like most people have forgotten that sort of thing.