PDA

View Full Version : Hope for Marred Plywood?

Steve H Graham
03-14-2009, 5:20 PM
My father has a warehouse, and the tenant that rented it ran off. We have to empty it. So far, I've scored a Genie Superlift, a pile of good metal for welding, lots of wire, and three sheets of plywood. One is some type of furniture-grade plywood. The tenants were real slobs. They leaned it against a wall, and whenever they threw something down in the warehouse, it banged against the wood. As a result, the sheet has one near-perfect face and one filthy face with a lot of scratches.

I assume it is impossible to clean this stuff up with a planer. Is that correct? It would be nice if I could run narrow pieces through it, but it looks like the veneer is so thin, it would just come off.

I don't have a use for the sheet. It just seemed a shame to throw it out. I suppose I could paint the bad side when I use it.

Bill Wyko
03-14-2009, 5:26 PM
For dings and dents you might try a hot wet towel and an iron. Put the towel down and go over it with the iron. It should raise the dings up. As far as looking bad goes, I'd try sanding it past the dirty surface. Good luck.:)

John Thompson
03-14-2009, 5:30 PM
Do as Bill suggested and try to steam it out. Do not do as you mentioned and run ply through a planer. The veneer is micro thin and most hardwood veneer should be sanded by hand and avoid a power sander.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Steve H Graham
03-14-2009, 5:34 PM
Sounds good. Maybe there is hope. I was planning to make a cabinet to go under my table saw extension. Maybe this is the time to do it. If I can't clean up the plywood, I can paint one side and use it for the inside of the cabinet.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in my neighborhood with his own Genie Lift.

I also scored a ceiling grinder with a 1 1/2 horsepower motor. If you don't know what a ceiling grinder is, you are in the same boat I was in two days ago.

Andrew Rogove
03-14-2009, 5:47 PM
I also scored a ceiling grinder with a 1 1/2 horsepower motor. If you don't know what a ceiling grinder is, you are in the same boat I was in two days ago.[/quote]

I'll bite. What is a ceiling grinder?:confused:

Bill Wyko
03-14-2009, 5:51 PM
Instructions are on the handle (Ceiling grinder) LMAO JK.:D

Steve H Graham
03-14-2009, 6:29 PM
This thing has two big tires and a flex shaft about nine feet long. At the top is an arbor. At the bottom is a motor. You put a grinding wheel on the arbor, and you turn on the motor. Then you wheel it around inside a new concrete building, grinding the crud off the seams.

Sells for over two grand. Maybe I can unload it on Craigslist. If not, free Baldor!

Steve H Graham
03-14-2009, 6:36 PM
See for yourselves.

Stephen Edwards
03-14-2009, 6:58 PM
I was planning to make a cabinet to go under my table saw extension. Maybe this is the time to do it. If I can't clean up the plywood, I can paint one side and use it for the inside of the cabinet.

That sounds like the ticket to me!