PDA

View Full Version : Chisel Handles

Jonah Decker
03-14-2009, 5:00 PM
Hello, I am new to the forum. It is nice to find so much info on hand tools. I recently purchased a couple socket chisels on that auction site. They are in need of new handles. Does anyone know of a source for handles? I have no access to a lathe or I would attempt to make some. Thanks
Jonah

Mike Henderson
03-14-2009, 5:08 PM
Hello, I am new to the forum. It is nice to find so much info on hand tools. I recently purchased a couple socket chisels on that auction site. They are in need of new handles. Does anyone know of a source for handles? I have no access to a lathe or I would attempt to make some. Thanks
Jonah
My experience with older chisels is that the handles have to be custom made to fit the socket, which means you'll have to send the chisels to whoever makes the handles for you. You also should decide what kind of wood you'd like the handles made from.

If you can't find anyone who does it as a business, send me a PM and I'll turn them for you for a small fee, plus shipping.

Mike

Ryan Griffey
03-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Here is a link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5771

Drawnife/Spokeshave

Depending on the finish your looking for the whole process could be accomplished with Drawnife/Rasp/Sandpaper

Jim Koepke
03-15-2009, 1:20 AM
Having bought a lot of socket chisels on the 'Bay', the same problem has happened to me.

For a long time, I bought handles, also from the 'Bay', and trimmed them to fit. Now I have a lathe and have made handles more to my own liking.

I am not sure about making a casting in the socket to use to match size on handles.

Your post does not show where you are from. You might be close to a Creeker who can make a handle or help in some other way.

Now that I have a lathe and a lot of extra handles, I have thought of listing them on the 'Bay'.

jim

Jonah Decker
03-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the help and info guys I do have a spokeshave and draw knife so maybe I will give that a whirl first. Also I am in Bozeman, MT I will put that on my info.

Jonah Decker
03-16-2009, 10:38 PM
One more question guys. Has anyone tried walnut for chisel handles? I can get some scraps from a project at work. Just wondering if they would hold up well.

Mike Henderson
03-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Walnut will work, but it's not the best for chisel handles. But you'll probably make several generations of handles so go ahead and do these in walnut.

Mike

Dan Schmidt
03-25-2009, 5:58 PM
LN sells replacement handles for their line of socket chisels which are based on the older Stanley 750's. Depending on your dimensions, you may give these a try but plan on a little trimming at a minimum.