PDA

View Full Version : Gouge Practice

Richard Madison
03-14-2009, 3:18 PM
Following advice from Steve and others in another thread, cutting from the rim downward toward the center like everyone else, using 5/8" big U, semi-V, deep V, and 3/8" V. Well whodathunkit, they all work that way. The big U is fine if the curve is not too sharp. Would be better if the heel were ground off a bit, but not ready to do that to my new gouge. Did grind about 2 degrees off the bevel and added a hint more wing. The semi-V works fine and might be better with a bit of "wing", as it is straight conical (traditional?) grind at the moment. The deep V was a little too tricky for me, maybe due to the sharp point, too quick transition from nose to wing. The little 3/8" V was easiest to control, especially on inside center "cup" of the practice piece. The focus here was on use of the tools rather than my usual approach of thinking about the intended outcome. The wood is an unknown species of scrap construction fir, a fairly sorry turning wood but ok for practice.

Maybe will saw 2 or 3 sides off it and call it wing thing.

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2009, 3:22 PM
Looks like you had fun! I like the grain in this piece! On your new gouge - hope you were able to figure out what works best for you!

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2009, 3:50 PM
Looks like you figured it out. Really pretty bowl. I like the grain.

Dean Thomas
03-14-2009, 5:18 PM
What a fun piece. I'm with Steve. Made me smile that you obviously had fun with this. Reminds me of an old timey kid's hat. Needs some ribbons is all, and that's the bottom!

Looks like you have minimal tear-out, sending us the message that you figured out how to get those gouges to cut in awkward areas of the turning. Nicely done.

Jeff Nicol
03-14-2009, 6:54 PM
Richard, I did some practicing today also,but it was roughing out some black cherry pieces. I am plum worn out! I think your practice piece is just fine! Every one needs one of those!!!

Keep on a spinning!

Jeff

Richard Madison
03-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks for your comments guys. I guess it actually was fun. Did have some tear out and some heel bruising as I tried different things. Also got some insight into why folks are so interested in the many variations of bowl gouge grinds. And I like the practice piece better upside down, with the lump in the middle. Maybe it needs a fat finial for a ring caddy in the center and call it a jewelry dish.

Jeff, do all those big cherry trees bear cherries?

Maylon Harvey
03-14-2009, 11:26 PM
"And I like the practice piece better upside down, with the lump in the middle."

To me that was right side up;) That is what I thought was so cool about it was either way it looked right as in there is NO top or bottom.