PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening help

Michael Armstrong
03-14-2009, 2:51 PM
I have the Mini-monster hollowing system from Randy. Although it includes the bit holder, I am unsure how to go about sharpening the bits properly. Do I just mount the bit in the holder and use a diamond file on the flat surface or do I then use my grinder to sharpen?

Thanks for helping
Michael

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2009, 3:56 PM
Michael I take my bit out and sharpen it with the grinder with the same angle of my scraper or about 75 to 80 degrees. It works well for me.

Michael Armstrong
03-14-2009, 4:04 PM
Thanks Bernie.

Michael

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2009, 4:23 PM
Michael - I do exactly the same as Bernie with mine also. I use a diamond sharpener to form a small burr when it starts to get dull. Can usually do that 4 or 5 times before going back to the grinder.

Michael Armstrong
03-14-2009, 4:58 PM
Thanks Steve. This is March Break up here and I have a number of turning projects I want to work on. I need lots of practice with hollow forms and I've been enjoying making 'drunken' candlesticks :eek: as the loml likes to call them. I haven't really busted up my knuckles to badly on the multi-axis turnings.

Michael

Burt Alcantara
03-14-2009, 5:26 PM
What I do is hold the cutter flat against the side of the grider and roll the edge away from the grinder. Do that on both sides then something similar to the nose but being carful about shape as it can get away from you very quickly.

Burt

Michael Armstrong
03-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks Burt. I've decided that before I get too involved in more turning that it is time to find the shop. I know it is in that room somewhere! But then it's time to tackle the beast - er I mean mini-monster and see what I can do.

Michael