PDA

View Full Version : Sell the 10"?

David Song
03-14-2009, 2:15 PM
Hi folks!

So I just picked up a used Grizzly G0555. However I had 10" Craftsman that I only bought few months ago. Having said, for those of you who has been there and done that, do I sell the 10" or keep it?

Would I regret in the future or would I never look back and only use 14"?

It probably depends on what I do. I am starting to build guitars so at this point, very minimal resawing and more of pattern/shape cuts is what I think I would be doing.

I think the Craftsman goes for around new for $180 so $100 is probably all that I can if I decide to sell.

Thanks, David

glenn bradley
03-14-2009, 2:17 PM
I sold my 12" when I got my 17". I then really missed the smaller saw and picked up an old Delta 10" which is working out nicely. If you have the room, keep it.

keith ouellette
03-14-2009, 2:37 PM
I don't have a band saw. Just wanted to put that out there.

Are you planning on doing a lot of re sawing so that you would want to keep the 14" set up for that and the 10" for other duties?

Are there any procedures you can think of where you would want to have two band saws set up at the same time for different operations?

If it was a 17" and a 10" I would say to keep both but I don't think there are any small size blades you couldn't use on a 14" that you would need the 10" for.

Kev Godwin
03-14-2009, 4:08 PM
David,
I actually got the G0555 with the riser block and after that I bought a little Delta 10 incher. I use the little 10 inch saw for dedicated precision cuts with an 1/8" blade. If you are into any kind of smaller work or details, I really think you'll miss the 10 incher. With the roller bearings on my G0555, it is a pain to use small 1/8" blades.

I don't know if your 10 inch saw is stand mounded or bench mounted. If it is in the way, you could always store it below a bench and clamp it to a top when you use it.
Kev

Bob Noles
03-14-2009, 5:46 PM
I sold my CM 10" after I bought my Rikon 10-325. I would have given about anything to have had the room to keep both.

Heck yeah....... Keep it if you can!

Paul Ryan
03-14-2009, 8:34 PM
David,

I bought a Grizzly 0555 at the end of Oct. While I had the exact 10" craftsman. It was a nice little saw, I had only bought it a year before that and paid $100 when I bought it new. Anyway I kept it until about 2 weeks ago. I put it on Craigslist for $120OBO. With in a day I had sold it for $100 and had a bunch of calls before I got the add down. I sold it because I needed the room and I rather use the grizzly than getting the craftsman off the floor and on a stand, bla bla bla, I am lazy. I figured I could use the $100 more than as often as I will use the saw. I hadn't used the craftsman since I got the grizzly. I dont cut alot of patterens though. I do some light resawing and the patterns I cut are long sweeping curves. The craftsman/rinkon is a really nice little saw, if I had it on a stand and had the room I would have kept it. But the 14 grizzly will do everything the little one could have and more.

george wilson
03-14-2009, 9:18 PM
$100.00 isn't much money,unless you need it. I'd keep the smaller saw if you have the space. You could keep a special blade on it and save more time,if time is money.

Bruce Page
03-14-2009, 10:45 PM
I sold my Delta 14” when I bought my MM16. I ended up buying the little 10” Rikon BS for small stuff because I don’t like changing out the 1” carbide resaw blade on the MM anymore than I have to.
That said, I don’t think changing the blade on the G0555 would be that big of a deal so I’d sell the Craftsman.

Kev Godwin
03-14-2009, 11:16 PM
David,
I don't know the small C-man BS well because I use the the little 10" Delta; but if it can run a small blade acurately, it may be a bonus. I've been using the G0555 for nearly 5 years and know it does very well at most tasks. However, it does not thrive in the 1/8" blade category.

The face curve support of the bearings on the G0555 is not good compared to graphite blocks or cool blocks to control waver or tracking on really small blades. If you want to use a small blade (ie: 1/8" or 3/16") at any time, you will certainly like the smaller saw in your shop (compared to the G0555). If you are making guitars, I really think you will want to keep it. Again, the G0555 is the centerpiece that will suit most tasks in comparison.
Kev

Rich Engelhardt
03-15-2009, 6:23 AM
Hello,

I think the Craftsman goes for around new for $180 so $100 is probably all that I can if I decide to sell.
My $.02 on the process of "Should I sell it".

#1 - Do I like it? Yes or no. If I don't "like it", for whatever reason, then it goes.

#2 - How much will it cost to replace it?
Say you do decide to sell it, and later find out you really need to replace it.
Can you find another used one in as good, or better condition for $100.00?

#3 - How urgent is the need for it should I sell it?
If I do find out down the road, I'd have been better of keeping it as a backup or as a dedicated machine for a specific task, can I get by without it while I shop for the best price/best replacement?

Having said all of that, I can't see ever parting with my Delta 10". While it currently takes up a lot of space on the bench, down the road it's going to get mounted on a flip top roll around base.
The little 10" is perfect for those "tweener" tasks. Stuff that's too big for a scroll saw, but too small for the TS.