PDA

View Full Version : Room with a View

Doug Shepard
03-14-2009, 2:12 PM
Got admitted to the hospital today. Turns out that I have a broken hip despite Xrays back on Feb 25 saying otherwise. so I've been hobbling about on a cane for 2-1/2 weeks with a busted hip - no wonder the pain was so bad. So Monday I'm supposed to get hip replacement surgery. This hospital has TV/Movies/Internet all accesible from the bed so I should be able to keep tabs on you folks in between nappy time.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-14-2009, 2:53 PM
Doug,
Sorry to hear about your demise. I hope all goes well for you.
-Jeff :)

Bruce Page
03-14-2009, 2:59 PM
Doug, does this mean that your back issues were miss-diagnosed?

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Jim O'Dell
03-14-2009, 3:55 PM
Hope you get good nurses! Makes a big difference in a hospital stay. Sorry to hear the mis diagnosis. It will make a huge difference to get it take care of. How did you break it? Did I miss that thread? Jim.

Gary Herrmann
03-14-2009, 4:39 PM
Good luck with surgery Doug. Tell us how you're doing, but get the rest you need.

mike holden
03-14-2009, 4:49 PM
Doug,
It was that darn box! (grin)
Hope your recovery is short and complete.
Mike

Ron Jones near Indy
03-14-2009, 4:59 PM
It's nice to have the "toys" when in the hospital. You have a good weekend to be in the hospital if the TV works and you are a basketball fan--lots of games to watch. You and your surgical team will be in my prayers.

Dennis Peacock
03-14-2009, 5:03 PM
Speedy recovery to ya Doug and prayers sent up for a safe hospital visit.

Doug Shepard
03-14-2009, 5:11 PM
Doug, does this mean that your back issues were miss-diagnosed?

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

It was only becasuse they missed the hip that the back got looked at. Turns out there are some issues there too but not enough to cause the non-walking/severe pain problems. So another round of MRIs on Thursday, and a trip to ER today to get them read, and voila! The hospital saw what I suspected when in went to ER on the 25th.

Jim Mattheiss
03-14-2009, 5:24 PM
Here's to Doug having friendly nurses AND friendly roommates!

My Dad was in the hospital recently and got stuck with a loud roommate who spent the entire day ranting and raving with people on his cell phone. Made it a very long day and my Dad almost RAN from the hospital the next day.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

Jim

John Shuk
03-14-2009, 6:07 PM
Sorry to hear that. get better soon.

Jim Becker
03-14-2009, 6:20 PM
Heal fast, Doug!

Colin Giersberg
03-14-2009, 8:54 PM
Doug,
Sorry to hear about your demise. I hope all goes well for you.
-Jeff :)

And I thought it was a broken hip. I didn't realize he died.

On a much brighter note, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Regards, Colin

Ted Calver
03-14-2009, 9:14 PM
Doug,
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Leigh Costello
03-14-2009, 9:27 PM
Doug, google Brian Regan, watch youtube clip emergency room and then say "8", say "8":D!

JOHN BRODERICK
03-15-2009, 2:55 AM
Doug,

Get well and up and about soon!

John

Belinda Barfield
03-15-2009, 8:37 AM
Wishing you better than average hospital food, and a speedy recovery. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Dave Verstraete
03-15-2009, 9:49 AM
Doug
Get well Soon!!!

From a fellow Michigander

Keith Outten
03-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Doug,

The best advise is to do what they tell you to do so they will pardon you ASAP.
You have our prayers for a speedy recovery.

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Hope all goes well with your surgery and recovery! Prayers sent your way!

Doug Shepard
03-15-2009, 3:45 PM
Thanks for all the suppoert folks. for those of you that have been thru this or know somebody that has, what am I looking at in terms of recovery time? How long on walker/crutches? How long before stairs are OK? How long before I can break-dance again?:eek:

David G Baker
03-15-2009, 4:15 PM
The LOML had a knee replacement done a few years ago. While visiting her I talked to a few people that had hip replacements. I do not recall much about the recovery time but I did learn that they must participate in what was called joint camp. Joint camp was supervised exorcises that helped the patients regain most of the functions of their replacement that they had when the area was healthy. It worked wonders for the LOML. She also had therapy for quite a while after surgery. Several of her friends had the same surgery at a different location but didn't have the supervised exercise program and not much therapy afterwards. A couple of them did not follow the instructions for recovery along with the recommended exercises and are now stuck in wheel chairs.
The better the supervised exercise program and therapy the quicker the recovery time and your ability to break dance may actually be a real possibility, but I would consult with my doctor prior to doing so. :D

Belinda Barfield
03-15-2009, 4:43 PM
Thanks for all the suppoert folks. for those of you that have been thru this or know somebody that has, what am I looking at in terms of recovery time? How long on walker/crutches? How long before stairs are OK? How long before I can break-dance again?:eek:

No personal experience Doug, but went through this with my grandmother. Therapy is the key, no matter how tough. If you don't work the joint to restore mobility you pretty much wasted your time with surgery, other than to provide relief from the pain. Hope for a cute therapist. ;)

And the real question here is, could you really break dance before?:D

Nancy Laird
03-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Doug, sorry to hear about your troubles.

My sister had a hip replacement in November, and she is JUST NOW getting around without a cane. She had to stay on a walker for about 6 weeks, started PT about a week after the surgery, and had to sleep on her back (to keep the hip straight) for about 6 weeks also. She found it much easier to sleep in a recliner than the bed, as her body wanted to turn over to a position that the doctor had prohibited. Don't stint on the PT, as that is the key to making sure that the hip works properly for the rest of your life.

I'm also curious about the break dancing.

Doug Shepard
03-20-2009, 5:36 PM
Well I got home this afternoon. The cats have been all over my lap wanting some quality time. I think the dog is goin to stay at the neighbors until Sunday. I should have a bit more practice under my belt by then as far as getting around the house on a walker and getting a routine down. I'm not doing too bad on the walker but cant keep it up for long without wanting a visit from Mr. Vic O'Din. Lot of exercises that I'm supposed to do multiple times a day, plus Home Therapy people are coming out to the house a couple times a week for the next 2 weeks when I go back to the Doc. Sounds like it's going to be anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks before I'm able to go back to work.

:confused:I wonder if assembling my BCTW JMP is considered physical therapy?:confused:

Chris Kennedy
03-20-2009, 5:50 PM
Doug,

Heal fast.

My uncle has had both hips replaced, as has my wife's grandmother. My uncle is younger than my wife's grandmother, and within 6 weeks he was riding his bike and walking without a cane after each hip replacement. My wife's grandmother, who was 87 when she had hers done, was going without cane within 6 weeks as well. In both cases, they had pretty aggressive physical therapists, but it worked well.

If they put you on blood thinners, watch those things. Coumadin (sp?) is warfarin, AKA rat poison.

Cheers,

Chris

Bruce Page
03-20-2009, 6:41 PM
Doug, heal quickly and do what the Doc says!

Jim Kountz
03-20-2009, 8:05 PM
Doug I hate to hear this, I sure hope everything goes ok with the surgery and you can get back on your feet soon. Hang in there buddy!!

Jim O'Dell
03-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Heal quick my friend!! Everyone else has the right answer...follow your rehab to the letter. Keep us up on your progress. If you don't do your therapy, we'll come kick your

Jim.

Rob Cooper
03-20-2009, 11:32 PM
The faster you get out of the hospital the shorter the revoery time. I'm guessing you'll be in the shop in a few months. In the meantime who is looking after your tools?:eek:

Bed rest and internet and credit card = lots of new stuff coming in the mail!

Doug Shepard
03-21-2009, 4:53 AM
... If you don't do your therapy, we'll come kick your

Jim.

Glad to have your assistance. If I dont do it, I wont be able to lift my leg high enough to do that on my own:D